Warbirds Downunder 20/21 Nov

Roundsounds

Yep! We will fly Bundy to Dubbo tomorrow, stop there overnight & then the short hop to Temora Friday morning. If it is anything like the last one 2 years ago it will be well worth the trip.

• Agree 1

Yep! We will fly Bundy to Dubbo tomorrow, stop there overnight & then the short hop to Temora Friday morning. If it is anything like the last one 2 years ago it will be well worth the trip.

Have a good trip Mick. Didn't know you had shifted here yet? Did you sort hangarage?

Have a good trip Mick. Didn't know you had shifted here yet? Did you sort hangarage?

Thanks Mike, we have been here a couple of months. The Skylark is in Les' hangar. You would not have seen us around as until last Friday we hadn't flown since getting here.

Jeepers I was planning tomorrow morning too but every bloke and his dog will be in the circuit!

Nope, left the dogs at home in Bundy -

a) because 2 x 40kg dogs don't go well with a 600kg mtow

b) so there will be room in the circuit for Dutchy in the Pitts S12

• Haha 1

Friday was the most hot and uncomfortable afternoon I could imagine. 35 knot wind and 41 degrees, a lot of tents blown down, some campers packed up and went home. It cooled down in the evening and then Saturday was great. The Saturday air show was mostly a repeat of the Friday evening one. 75% of the private aircraft flew out on Saturday evening after the show.

Worst feature was two male toilets and three showers for about 100 tents in the unpowered campground.

• Agree 2

On Friday morning before I left Cessnock I checked the YTEM metar & it was 310/30G40 and 37 deg. I thought "hey I'm in a Pitts, it's significant crosswind on all runways, it's 37, and it's not even morning tea time - what could possibly go wrong?"

Full fuel gave me Temora + 45 mins reserve + 1 hour holding or diversion, and Orange & Cowra were much better crosswind-wise and would've been suitable, so I figured what the heck.

It was 40+ degrees by the time I arrived and descending through 4000' I got assaulted by the heat and turbulence. The last 300' on final was "interesting", though at least the wind had swung around to 270 and I could land on the dirt.

Friday was a write-off & doing the tie-downs & covers nearly gave me heat exhaustion! Saturday was a ripper though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

We arrived at 10.00am Friday and had an interesting approach and landing on 23 in the wind that was very much favouring 27. My wife had a bit to say about the landing and roll out until we stopped and opened the canopy then it was "Holy Sh*t!" no wonder it was not easy to stay straight. Glad we didn't get there any later.

Great show, we will be back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Friday was the most hot and uncomfortable afternoon I could imagine. 35 knot wind and 41 degrees, a lot of tents blown down, some campers packed up and went home. It cooled down in the evening and then Saturday was great. The Saturday air show was mostly a repeat of the Friday evening one. 75% of the private aircraft flew out on Saturday evening after the show.Worst feature was two male toilets and three showers for about 100 tents in the unpowered campground.

I heard it was down to one male toilet at some stage...... Given there would have been more men camping than females, I actually expected to see a higher ratio of male toilets to female..... I still couldn't help but be surprised when I knocked on the female toilet doors to check if anyone was in there to find male voices!!

The organisation of the campsites could have been better. The people we asked had no idea at all! I was impressed that everyone organised themselves and we didn't find ourselves feel crowded at all.

Airshow was fantastic - really enjoyed myself :) The fans were a godsend for Friday!!!!

We arrived Friday about 2.30, with the gusting wind landing on 27 was interesting. About 1.5 hours earlier I landed at Griffith, wind there was stronger, more gusting and 41 deg. the Bulldog's fatigue meter saw an increase of four digits. Leaving Gawler we climbed to 7500 where the wind was 45 - 50 knots on our tail, saw a ground speed at near 150 at times, not so lucky returning home.

The airshow was great and you gotta hand it to display pilots they're good. Temora aero club was very friendly.

Downside was the organizers. . . . they didn't cater for private pilots, we were in a crowded campground with a noisy general public, 2 male toilets, 4 showers hence at daybreak the line was

enormous. had to pay 75 frigging dollars for that privilege. After 4 pm Saturday there was no food or drinks unless you went into town. same Sunday morn not even a coffee unless a trip to town to the Warbirds Recovery Breakfast starting at 8 am. much too late for anyone flying a great distance back home. so we left tired, hungry and thirsty, fortunately I had another pilot along. Except for the monetary value I cant understand why we couldn't camp under the wing.

With that off my chest the SHOW WAS GREAT. . . . . .