Does anyone else find this cringe-worthy?

RobynD39

Hi all. I was browsing through the online store (http://Http://www.clearprop.com.au) and I noticed a separate tab for "Female pilots". I was intrigued hoping to find gifts or cool stuff specifically for women who fly, but what I found was mainly makeup and beauty products! I was more than a little offended - it made me feel like the only thing female pilots are good for is to look "pretty". (I hear you snickering and you should be ashamed!)

I then looked at the other pages and saw under the "Pilot" tab is generic flying stuff (like flight bags and safety equipment) as well as men's products (like men's clothes and shavers). So does this mean "female pilots" are different to so-called "pilots" and they (we) don't need all that other serious flying stuff? If I had known that I would have worn a lot more makeup and skimpier clothes when I went for my flying tests!

But seriously, are we still living in the 1960's??? What do others think? I'm hoping there's a perfectly reasonable explanation but I can't think of one at the moment. <sigh>

PS. I sent an email to the site voicing my concerns but haven't heard anything back yet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I believe "clearprop" morphed into another store. Called "Savemoreonline" or something like that, and it had a wider range of products.

Then I think it came back to being "Clearprop", so what you see maybe the ragtag leftovers of the other store with the feminine products simply grouped together.

Not intentional I'm sure.......

• Like 1

You want him to sell the makeup to us males then?

I think this may have just been a convenient title, might need an update since it doesn't refer to the male pilot's wives or partners, and I can think of one or two where it might be better to offer it without any gender advice.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

But seriously, are we still living in the 1960's??? What do others think? I'm hoping there's a perfectly reasonable explanation but I can't think of one at the moment.

Yes it's cringeworthy Robyn, but I agree with Downunder that it's probably not intentional.

I have met fellow male pilots throughout my aviation career, even very recently, for whom even the 60's would be scary modern times as far as attitudes to women go. Why, you might even have already detected some of them on this very forum!

• Agree 5

Robyn, what the others have said is true, it is the remnants of a previous wider audience target than just pilot supplies. In fact under that tab there is not just beauty products but also clothing, and much much more. In fact in the clearance tab there are plumbing supplies, household goods etc. Previously pilot supplies was just one tab with many sub categories, now it is many more tabs and the other non pilot supplies is just one tab with sub categories and a clearance tab

Now that I am back home after 8 months working in Canberra I will be redoing the Clear Prop shop and in the coming days will be clearing as much of the non pilot supplies out at cost in a fire sale.

You may also like to note that my wife is a Beauty Therapist and her beauty therapy web site links to the shop as well.

The shop products was also meant to provide an opportunity to buy discounted gifts for the other half as well irrespective of what sex they are.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Oh, and in regards to cringe worthy, Corrine has been managing the shop for the last 8 months and that's the way she wanted it so it was done by a woman and after showing her your post she is offended so go figure

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Robyn, what the others have said is true, it is the remnants of a previous wider audience target than just pilot supplies. In fact under that tab tyere is not just beauty products but also clothing, and much much more. In fact in the clearance tab there are plumbing supplies, household goods etc. Previously pilot supplies was just one tab with many sub categories, now it is many more tabs and the other non pilot supplies is just one tab with sub categories and a clearance tabNow that I am back home after 8 months working in Canberra I will be redoing the Clear Prop shop and in the coming days will be clearing as much of the non pilot supplies out at cost in a fire sale.

You may also like to note that my wife is a Beauty Therapist and her beauty therapy web site links to the shop as well.

The shop products was also meant to provide an opportunity to buy discounted gifts for the other half as well irrespective of what sex they are.

Thanks Ian. I had a feeling it was due to a combining of pilot supplies and other items. As others have said, it might be better to change the "Female pilots" tab to "Female items" or similar, and add a "Male items" tab. But in this day and age I don't think we need to separate the sexes; just group by categories instead (sorry, it's the ex-librarian in me coming out). :-)

BTW, I tried to edit my earlier post but couldn't, to add that the Clear Prop site is great and the prices are excellent, so keep up the great work in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some odd things to have in a pilot-orientated store, for sure. Maybe they should be in the "miscellaneous" category?

In any case, there are more than one or two blokes here for whom I'm certain no amount of beauty product will help........(yes by default I'm already speaking for myself).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Robyn really is an easy going person and it is rare for her to "complain about anything". For her to get this upset about something means it really rattled her. Robyn uses very little make up (if any) when she is flying so she wasn't expecting to find beauty products under a tab for pilots.

You and I being males might not understand her getting upset over something simple like this, but the day she got her pilots certificate she was as proud as hell (and rightfully so). So I guess she thought Clear Prop's idea of a pilot who was female was put them under a separate tab and sell them make up!!!

But she is happy now that Ian has explained things. Thanks Ian.

For you guys that gave her some support, thanks. I think she needed that after some of the other remarks and "BEX", I thought you would have known"BETTER"!!

Dutch, my next door neighbour who has a boy and a girl, and is what you are talking about. He bought a trail bike for his son and when his daughter said she wanted one too he told her girls don't ride trail bikes, they help their mum's out in the house!!

Blue sky's guys.

Bob

• Like 2

For you guys that gave her some support, thanks. I think she needed that after some of the other remarks and "BEX", I thought you would have known"BETTER"!!

Well hang on, there's a "Pilots" tab, then there's a "Female Pilots" tab but no "Male Pilots" tab, exactly why don't I have the right to complain?

Where's my chance to buy Old Spice, Brut 33 and Nivea For Men? I'm a victim!!

It is quite apparent that you are sexist and see Pilots as being only a domain for men, I think you owe Germain Greer and Bruce Jenner an apology.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Well hang on, there's a "Pilots" tab, then there's a "Female Pilots" tab but no "Male Pilots" tab, exactly why don't I have the right to complain?Where's my chance to buy Old Spice, Brut 33 and Nivea For Men? I'm a victim!!

It is quite apparent that you are sexist and see Pilots as being only a domain for men, I think you owe Germain Greer and Bruce Jenner an apology.

It's probably too late to help you, Bex!

You are showing your age when you talk about Old Spice and Brt 33. My dad used them and he would be a centenarian if still alive.

Kalvin's stuff is all the go now...

Kaz

• Haha 2

Seriously I hate sexism and racism etc, but find something real in life to get offended by... this is hardly worth a mention...

Go read the book The Secret...you find what you go looking for!

You want to find sexism, nothing surer than you will find it...

• Agree 3