Rapidly Changing Times for the worse in this great Country

Guest john

Have you noticed that when there is a terrorist attack in the name of the muslim religion, that the media like to talk to a resident muslim and what they say is that they are afraid that the attack will give muslims a bad name or incite hatred of muslims. I can't recall more than once hearing a muslim saying that terrorism is bad.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could say is that true or did you read it in the Murdoch press? There was only ONE Murdoch paper that didn't urge war on Iraq and that was one in PNG. He also said when we do, petrol will be almost free, but it was about hidden WMD's wasn't it? Not about Oil or Haliburton. Save trees don't buy newspapers. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I reckon the rainbow serpent makes a lot of sense. More sense than Jehovah. When you look at a river from on high it looks like a giant serpent.On to aborigines...there was some inter-tribal genetic transfer, in that if a groups from 2 tribes encountered each other, the weaker side would herd their women over to be raped or speared. If raped, then no fight was needed and all was well. Gosh why didn't we think of this in Vietnam?

And IBob, would you allow an immigrant group to have their Sharia law? This has been asked for in Europe, so its not that hypothetical. Yes or no?

Bruce, I'm happy to have a discussion. But a discussion doesn't involve you cherry picking questions to direct at me and demanding yes or no answers. Who you think you are?

• Like 1

Bruce, I'm happy to have a discussion. But a discussion doesn't involve you cherry picking questions to direct at me and demanding yes or no answers. Who you think you are?

Why can't a discussion include a question? It's a very simple one. If you want to expand on your "yes or no" to explain your reasons you can surely do that.

Often reducing the quote and not including the qualifications in the original post borders on the dishonest and is just niggly point scoring . No one is on trial here and essentially we are exchanging views, but should be able to expand if asked for clarification of meaning or just more information. If no one shows any interest in certain responses, that is just what happens, and will continue to happen. Sometimes when there is no response whatever I go back and notice my message hasn't been quite clear and amend/edit it.. There's a lot of people here whose response and input I value highly. Also no one should feel intimidated from posting here as a principle. Nev

Yes I reckon its the law as interpreted by Islamic clerics using the Koran as their reference. There is an example in the paper today about a 19 year old Saudi who is going to be beheaded for taking part in a demonstration when he was 15.

Yes I reckon its the law as interpreted by Islamic clerics using the Koran as their reference. There is an example in the paper today about a 19 year old Saudi who is going to be beheaded for taking part in a demonstration when he was 15.

As we thought... you "think".... as in you don't know...and you have been sprouting off your ignorance based upon that. And you people reckon Muslims are the problem???!!!! Wow!!!

would you allow an immigrant group to have their Sharia law? This has been asked for in Europe, so its not that hypothetical. Yes or no?

Would we let any segment of the population have enforceable laws apart from the law of Australia? Even the Koori Court, Aboriginal Community Court etc are branches of the state Magistrate's courts.

The answer is no, we wouldn't. If they chose to adhere to the principles of sharia law, as long as that behaviour did not contravene Australian law, that's up to them. But no-one can enforce a set of laws that contravenes Australian law.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

As we thought... you "think".... as in you don't know...and you have been sprouting off your ignorance based upon that. And you people reckon Muslims are the problem???!!!! Wow!!!

How about you enlighten us Winsor. It would be great if you would contribute something rather than stabbing the creative button alol the time.

• Agree 1

Just a few observations:

Whilst there are a very small number of maccas that are halal certified, I am not sure how this equates with "us" being forced to change. Does anyone think these fast food outlets have been forced to offer halal? I would say much more likely that individual franchisees have crunched the numbers and as a business decision have decided to offer halal, just like many restaurants offer gluten free or kosher products. If this degrades the non halal product then complain, I am sure any business owner will follow the money.

I arrived in this country in 1964 at the age of 18 months as a "ten pound" immigrant and in my early schooling I was bullied because I was British and apparently we were dirty and did not bathe regularly. Then there were the Greeks and Italians - most of us are mature and intelligent enough to realize that being Italian does not make you a member of the Mafia. In the late 70s it was Vietnamese that were invading us. In my first job one of my workmates used to rant about the asians (although that was not the terminology that he used) He was disturbed and I guess frightened by shops that had signs with Asian writing (or barbed wire writing as he called it).

By the way halal is often used as a bit of a red herring, I would just ask people to do some fact checking - http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/what-a-whopper-spat-rages-over-halal-burger-claims-20120202-1qugs.html

My friend and colleague Azedeh (who's family escaped from Iran when the Ayatollah took over) would like to assure you that she has no interest in what food you eat, she loathes violence of any sort and does not want to kill you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Just a few observations:Whilst there are a very small number of maccas that are halal certified, I am not sure how this equates with "us" being forced to change. Does anyone think these fast food outlets have been forced to offer halal? I would say much more likely that individual franchisees have crunched the numbers and as a business decision have decided to offer halal, just like many restaurants offer gluten free or kosher products. If this degrades the non halal product then complain, I am sure any business owner will follow the money.

I arrived in this country in 1964 at the age of 18 months as a "ten pound" immigrant and in my early schooling I was bullied because I was British and apparently we were dirty and did not bathe regularly. Then there were the Greeks and Italians - most of us are mature and intelligent enough to realize that being Italian does not make you a member of the Mafia. In the late 70s it was Vietnamese that were invading us. In my first job one of my workmates used to rant about the asians (although that was not the terminology that he used) He was disturbed and I guess frightened by shops that had signs with Asian writing (or barbed wire writing as he called it).

By the way halal is often used as a bit of a red herring, I would just ask people to do some fact checking - http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/what-a-whopper-spat-rages-over-halal-burger-claims-20120202-1qugs.html

My friend and colleague Azedeh (who's family escaped from Iran when the Ayatollah took over) would like to assure you that she has no interest in what food you eat, she loathes violence of any sort and does not want to kill you.

Hey Octave, when I was in Qld in the 70s, Asian interests bought a bit of land on the coast, miles from anywhere, and started building a hotel. It was big and concrete and one night the locals went in with dynamite and blew it up.

Gosh, I thought, I'm living in the wild west.

• Informative 1

Then in the late 80s the Hilton hotel group built a hotel in Cairns. They allowed their subsidiary to go broke, leaving contractors millions of dollars in debt, while Hilton bought the nearly-completed building back from the administrators for a song. There were protests outside for years afterward. Someone should have blown it up, but maybe being down town and close to the hospital made that a bad idea.

Sorry if you are offended IBob, but you can feel free to ask me a question and I will try to give a straight answer.

Hi Bruce, no, I'm not offended. It would be a very dull world if we all shared exactly the same views, and I surely don't expect the world to share mine.

I took a break here because I wasn't too happy with either my own contributions, or some of the stuff that was coming out here: my own contribution because I set out being something of the smartass, and it dawned on me by degrees that what we're talking about here is far too serious to be the subject of some sort of shouting match or ideological pissing contest. And the other stuff because it occurred to me that some of the people must talk something like this before they set to for a bit of ethnic cleansing here and there around the world.

I don't know what the answers are. I don't know what it's like living in Australia now. And it's certainly not for me to be suggesting what Australian people should think or do, even if I had any insight, which i don't.

I do think we, all of us, have to carry on trying to find ways to live together, for all our differences. Because none of the other options we see out there seem to be working for anyone, regardless of size of country or economy.

• Like 2

Yes I wish I had answers too. I do share your aversion to bigots and if you knew all my family and friends you would know I'm not at all racist. If I have a passion to a fault, it is that I hate bullies. I really do.

But who is the bully and who is the victim? I reckon that was our point of disagreement. We saw different people as the victim.

The only ray of hope for the future is that Matt Ridley ( well-known author) is right when he says that all religions are so stupid that they will continue to lose believers until they dwindle away. Recent surveys do indeed show more people than ever before reject the notion of being subject to powerful spirits and their representatives on earth, and this is true even in Moslem countries.

• Like 2

Matt Ridley may be correct and I hope he is, but in the meantime we have to put up with religous zealots am many persuasions.

It would be nice to put a few of the together an see what transpires.

I am not sure which is the most dangerous of Donald Trump and Muslims, probably Donald at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Donald Trump?? Old mate Vlad reckons he's a great bloke! (Mind you Vlad also reckons Sepp Blatter - of FIFA infamy - should receive the Nobel Peace Prize, so either he's trying to pull the West's leg big time or he's been hitting the vodka a bit hard.)

I reckon the rainbow serpent makes a lot of sense. More sense than Jehovah. When you look at a river from on high it looks like a giant serpent.On to aborigines...there was some inter-tribal genetic transfer, in that if a groups from 2 tribes encountered each other, the weaker side would herd their women over to be raped or speared. If raped, then no fight was needed and all was well. Gosh why didn't we think of this in Vietnam?

And IBob, would you allow an immigrant group to have their Sharia law? This has been asked for in Europe, so its not that hypothetical. Yes or no?

Not going to buy into this in any large way, as I have already been ( albeit humorously ) called a muslim basher on this site. "Sharia Law" is now openly practiced in several cities and towns in the UK. "Sharia courts" convene to decide matters of family, finance and other laws, in direct contravention of the laws of this land, and absolutely NOTHING is done to counter this to promote "Community Cohesion" Another weasel phrase constructed by a minority of locals and now an ingrained part of the leftie appeaser narrative.

This is a fact. It is happening right now. Whether the liberal handwringers will promote this in Australia as the immigtrant numbers increase, and with this the percentage of "Militant" people in their midst remains to be seen.

Twenty years ago in the UK,. . .my reaction to the first post of this thread would have been very similar to a lot of those I have just read above.

Merry Winterval everyone . . . ( Can't call it "Christmas" in most official local Government publications in Birmingham anymore,. . .as this MIGHT offend a certain group of people. . . . )

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that, Phil, if not surprised.

I think, however, your final statement could do with a little clarification, since the Winterval bizzo seems intended to include all sorts of groups of people. Not "a certain group of people", as you state

This from the Telegraph in 2014, readily Googled in about 45secs:

"In 1997 and 1998, Birmingham City Council ran a three-month promotional campaign called Winterval.

It included celebrations of Hallowe’en, Bonfire Night, Diwali, Ramadan, Eid, Hannukah, Advent, Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and Chinese New Year.

Although never intended to serve as a substitute for Christmas, the term Winterval is still cited as a prime example of the so-called war on Christmas."

While i (too) despair at the ongoing inroads and stupidities of political correctness, and while I am also opposed to the idea of any group within a society subverting the laws with laws of their own (if indeed that is the effect) I think we still need to keep our facts straight. In fact I think it's even more important to keep our facts straight, or we risk becoming just another mindless mass insisting that our view is the only right view?