Mid-air explosion blows hole in side of Somali passenger plane

Interesting that this incident hasn't been such a big deal on the news. Twenty years ago it would have been global headlines and everyone would be shocked and mystified. Now we just shrug and "oh yeah, Moslems doing Moslem stuff again".

The latest goss in the media is that the explosives may have been hidden by means of the terrorist pretending to be disabled in a wheelchair.

BTW a martyr is someone who is put to death because of their faith, in Islam they try to apply this word to the exact opposite scenario. These are murderers and will be judged as such.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that this incident hasn't been such a big deal on the news. Twenty years ago it would have been global headlines and everyone would be shocked and mystified. Now we just shrug and "oh yeah, Moslems doing Moslem stuff again".The latest goss in the media is that the explosives may have been hidden by means of the terrorist pretending to be disabled in a wheelchair.

BTW a martyr is someone who is put to death because of their faith, in Islam they try to apply this word to the exact opposite scenario. These are murderers and will be judged as such.

NOOOOO GNARLY. . . . . .NOT IN THIS THREAD PLEASE.

KIND REGARDS Phil.

I feel sorry for those poor demented souls that believe their reward in 'heaven'' is 72 virgins. What in God'/Allah's name are you going to do with 72 untried thought stores(read consciences) cause that's all that's likely to be there. Bodies and the alluring sexual parts of them get left here on Earth, some more scattered than others.

It would have to be extraordinarily unlikely earthly pleasures will be allowed in Heaven. These are the Carnal temptations you are supposed to resist to get to heaven in the first place. I think you just play harps and move around the clouds quietly, and if everyone has to be good to get there it won't be crowded and a lot of your "fun" mates will be elsewhere, weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth for eternity. Poor bast@rd$. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd still like to know where the 72 virgins come from. With the toll from the Taleban, Al Quaeda & IS all added up it must run into millions so they must be running short of them by now unless they have been stockpiling them for the last 2 millenia. Maybe they are the same 72 recycled & the joke is on the newly deceased.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

BTW a martyr is someone who is put to death because of their faith, .

English is ever dynamic and updating, that original meaning is no longer it's exclusive meaning.

• : a person who is killed or who suffers greatly for a religion, cause, etc.

• : a person who pretends to suffer or who exaggerates suffering in order to get praise or sympathy

• : a person who suffers greatly from something (such as an illness)

Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will see the kingdom of God.. Nev

Why do the "Cheesemakers" get special attention?

"The man who died after being sucked out of a Somali passenger jet in midair on Monday appears to have been the person who detonated the bomb... All other passengers survived the incident, meaning this ended up being closer to a Jackass stunt than a terror attack."

Recall seeing a photo online of the remains a Moz suicide bomber with his genitals wrapped for protection... needless to say not suitable for posting here. They are so zealous and emphatic, imagine what could be achieved if their effort and creativity was towards doing good.

Hi Guys 'N' Gals.

I think it's time to move this particular thread somewhere else don't you agree ?

Some amusing comments above, but it really isn't relevant to the actual thread, and of course, every thread throws up side issues, and YES I know I've been guilty as well responding in that regard. The thread starter was ( I thought) about a hole blown in the side of an RPT aircraft. . . .

Could one of the Mods please move this discussion perhaps to Off Topic ? . . .as it appears that it is going to "Run On" into a "Theistic" discussion if it stays here, which is exactly what lot of other posters have been complaining about.

Just a thought.

Kind regards all

Phil.

Hi Guys 'N' Gals.I think it's time to move this particular thread somewhere else don't you agree ?

Alternatively, we can make an attempt to get it back on topic. But first, just something I have to deal with......

Interesting that this incident hasn't been such a big deal on the news. Twenty years ago it would have been global headlines and everyone would be shocked and mystified. Now we just shrug and "oh yeah, Moslems doing Moslem stuff again".

What utter rubbish. Gathering facts has never been your strong point has it? Aside from seeing it in several major newspapers here, I also saw it on national TV news. A quick google search also shows it prominently reported on CNN, NBC news, CBS news, Reuters, The Guardian, The Daily Mail, The Independent, The Seattle Times, BBC, Sky News, New York Post, New York Times, Japan Times, New Zealand Herald, Times of Israel, The Mirror, The Sun, Los Angeles Times, French TV, China Daily, India News........and I'm sick of scrolling through the news links already.

Now, only one person having died, the plane landing successfully, and being anything to do with Africa, it makes for a short lived news story and very limited shock and horror in any case.

The thread starter was ( I thought) about a hole blown in the side of an RPT aircraft. . . .

Now where was I? Ah yes, that's right.

An interesting facet of this is the structural integrity of the aircraft. A lot of people think bomb + hole = plane disintegrates, but you can clearly see that providing it doesn't explode into any vital systems, it actually hasn't caused anywhere near a mortal wound. Same goes for the myth of gunshots fired from inside the plane. A gunshot won't blow a massive hole in the side. Just a small hole with a small pressure leak would be the result. Modern well maintained aircraft structures are quite self limiting in terms of damage.

As far as the bombing itself goes, it was clumsily inept. It was nowhere near powerful enough to bring down an airliner by an explosion inside the cabin.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought the structural integrity was impressive. I don't know where the control cables run on that model, but I know where they go on some other brands and detonation something in the cabin may be likely to disrupt controls more than the structure.

Traditionally under the floor or through the ceiling cavity. But with fly by wire aircraft, there are no big cables as such with control commands travelling on a databus.

There is quite extensive segregation built into the FBW system on an Airbus with the primary and secondary flight control computers all being in different locations, as well as having different databus routes through the plane.

It's hydraulic (Multiple systems ) or fly by wire. The structural integrity of these aircraft has improved massively. The damage is limited to smaller areas by tear limiting design of the skin which is stressed by the differential air pressure of just under 9 psi acting on it. Nev.

The hole in this aircraft is nothing compared to the hole left in Aloha flight 243, a 737 flying out of Hawaii in 1988. A section from behind the cockpit was separated equal to one-quarter of the fuselage length. All the passengers were in their seats and belted during depressurization. A major portion of the upper crown skin and fuselage structure of section 43 separated in flight causing an explosive decompression of the cabin. Final damage consisted of the total loss of a portion of the upper crown skin, and damage to other fuselage structure and walls in section 43. Damage extended from aft of the main cabin entrance door, rearward about 18.5 feet (5.6 m). One person, a flight attendant was sucked out & was the only fatality as the flight landed safely at Maui Island Airport some 13 minutes later.

Boeing-737-297-N73711-Aloha-Airlines-Flight-243-right-side-view.jpg.7088eeb83001e72c1fddb954f774c4e8.jpg

Yes that was a prime example - probably still to this day - of the "unzipping" of a fuselage skin structure already weakened by undetected corrosion and cracking.

With the new maintenance regimes around the world put in place as a direct consequence of that accident, a similar major structural failure should never happen again.