Approaching unfamiliar CTAF airfields, how to do it well?

I've been into a few quieter airfields recently with CTAF, and planning to do a lot more. I originally come from the UK where most fields have a radio operator to provide 'information', so i'm finding it a little different here to approach airfields with multiple runways and figure out how best to slot in.

I've read the CAAP and VFR Guide, but really would like some practical advice from people with more experience, and especially from anyone who operates in some of the more rural Australian airfields to advise what they like and don't like.

To figure things out, my general method at the moment is to join overhead at 2000ft AGL, try to find the windsock and figure out whats going on the ground, and then descend onto left downwind (or as per ERSA) and perhaps do a low approach initially to figure out whats going on at the field, go around and then plan to land on the second approach.

I visited a field recently where operations were taking place on two different runways at the same time (cross runways), and found this a little unusual. Also reading the CAAP suggests that IFR aircraft could be entering the situation at 4000ft overhead which makes it a little different again.

I'm also tempted when approach to just ask anyone on the CTAF frequency what runway is being used, bollox to standard phraseology, just figure out whats going on. I'm not so concerned about a single quiet runway operation, but when things are a little busy, it would be good to know some best practice for the more experienced guys.

I guess it was a typo when you said descend into left downwind, as obviously descending on the active side of any runway is generally a no no, the best way to come down from overhead I find is to descend and join a crosswind for the active runway.

As for asking which runway is in use, country folk are generally happy to help but I would ask for wind speed and direction instead of asking which runway just because it gives you a better mental picture so you don't find as many surprises on finals.

If flying to a strange strip I always prefer the overhead method just to get a good picture of everything but obviously if it is busy sometimes it isn't the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

I guess it was a typo when you said descend into left downwind, as obviously descending on the active side of any runway is generally a no no, the best way to come down from overhead I find is to descend and join a crosswind for the active runway.As for asking which runway is in use, country folk are generally happy to help but I would ask for wind speed and direction instead of asking which runway just because it gives you a better mental picture so you don't find as many surprises on finals.

If flying to a strange strip I always prefer the overhead method just to get a good picture of everything but obviously if it is busy sometimes it isn't the best.

Thanks for the reply, sorry yes, I did mean standard overhead join, descending dead side into cross wind a joining downwind.

• Like 1

If you join over the top, be 500' above the highest category of plane that uses the drome. If it's a Turboprop service that is 1500 agl +500 = 2,000'. It's not always easy to get the windsock direction right, so have a good look but listening in when approaching the aerodrome you may hear circuit traffic calls that give you the information. You can try asking when a few miles out of the circuit area.

You might find that faster stuff tends to do a straight in approach, so be aware of that. It's probably better that they do rather than mixing it with everything else in the circuit, but that's just my opinion. Nev

• Like 2

I've found that when it's a little busy, more often than not, you will hear which runway is in use long before you get there (well long for me in the Drifter). Usually you will have a good idea of what your choice will be if you know what runways are available and what the wind is doing on the way ( drift, smoke, dust, ripples on dams etc.), not 100% accurate at the strip, but mostly so.

I did get a little concerned once when I watched a guy try approaches from both ends of the strip, with a 20kt tailwind on one end, then comment on the radio that there was no wind sock while two flags were flying next to the strip.

Look around, talk to anyone in the area, most people are helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

I'm listening on the ctaf well before 10 miles.

If there's traffic, I generally will know what runway is duty from the radio chatter.

More than once I've let another inbound a/c hit circuit first. They can pick duty rwy for me then......

If no traffic, overfly and look at windsock.

Descend on the dead side and join midfield......too easy......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The AWIS is a very handy tool. Most airfields either have an AWIS or a neighbouring field with this service. Using the AWIS will give you generally 20 minutes or so to plan your landing, with a visual inspection of the windsock, just a confirmation of what you already know. All good in theory, but you still have to slot into the circuit pattern.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Joining 500 feet above the highest traffic may not always be possible. I know of a few fields near Brisbane that have controlled airspace directly over the top of the airfield; Redcliffe is one and Coominya is another. Always check the ERSA first and if there's no entry, try to find a contact number for the airfield owner or manager and give them a call to check for any restrictions or "fly neighborly" procedures.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

What all of the above said plus . . . I like to have studied the airfield area on Google Earth before I leave home (for a runway I've never been to before) to pick up big landmarks like an adjacent horse racing track. Just helps getting your bearings once there and reduces any surprise elements. I often have difficulty, especially from 2,000 ft seeing the windsock even with my short sight compensating spectacles on that give me at least 20/20 vision so I like the idea of a precautionary low pass ("go-around") just to be certain.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Google earth is great for finding features to help you into and around the circuit. It makes it like you have been there before. The area around the windsock is used for giving information on the condition of the airport etc if anyone bothers to do it properly. Sometimes there are multiple windsocks...? Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Agreed Coominya has controlled airspace over the top but circuit height is ( I think from memory) 700ft AGL which is 1000ft AMSL. Controlled airspace is at 1500ft AMSL, so as long as y0u keep height accurate you can cross at 500ft above circuit height. Exceedingly unlikely to be any torboprops!

I don't how many attended the local briefs on Amberley, Oakey and some UAV airspace up near Hervey Bay, but the RAAF ATC people get very nervous about anyone that even looks like getting close to their airspace. They've had a lot of incursions, fortunately, most of them GA. After hearing the excuses of some of them, they would rather that pilots planned to give a reasonable distance to allow for any error, as most incursions seemed to be pilots who used their efb to "fly right along the edge", and/or "just under the step". Apparently not many read map to ground /ground to map to confirm actual position, but just rely on the tablet gps to give an accurate location.

I use Ozrunways, and have found sometimes that it is inaccurate by several miles on my position. Not often but I've had it happen.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I don't how many attended the local briefs on Amberley, Oakey and some UAV airspace up near Hervey Bay, but the RAAF ATC people get very nervous about anyone that even looks like getting close to their airspace. They've had a lot of incursions, fortunately, most of them GA. After hearing the excuses of some of them, they would rather that pilots planned to give a reasonable distance to allow for any error, as most incursions seemed to be pilots who used their efb to "fly right along the edge", and/or "just under the step". Apparently not many read map to ground /ground to map to confirm actual position, but just rely on the tablet gps to give an accurate location.I use Ozrunways, and have found sometimes that it is inaccurate by several miles on my position. Not often but I've had it happen.

The UK went through a big drive to resolve incursions, and if you have flown there you'd know the traffic density, particularly in the South East. They have implemented a lot of processes to resolve it, not least encouraging aircraft to take on basic flight following as much as possible and then providing good hand overs between radar controllers etc, listening sqwarks, education and inviting private pilots to the air traffic control centres.

There are ways to reduce incursions, it just depends on whether anyone is that interested to do it.

• Like 1

I would agree that joining overhead 500 ft above the circuit height of aircraft using the aerodrome is correct. It now is preferred that you join the circuit on on the downwind leg, this means descending on the crosswind leg from the dead side to circuit height. Descending mid field crosswind may give you a better view of the windsock but you may end up in front of someone else already established on the downwind leg which imho is just poor airmanship if it happens.

• Like 1

Lots of good comments here. I do like Downunder and listen at about 10 miles out. Then I give an inbound call. If all is quiet, I just ask "is there any traffic in the (wherever ) area ?"

Then I give the other calls as I get to the circuit area. And if the active runway is not obvious, why not ask? Plain words are better than jargon in my opinion , and coming to a possibly deserted airfield its better to overdo the calls than underdo them.

• Like 2

Lots of good comments here. I do like Downunder and listen at about 10 miles out. Then I give an inbound call. If all is quiet, I just ask "is there any traffic in the (wherever ) area ?"Then I give the other calls as I get to the circuit area. And if the active runway is not obvious, why not ask? Plain words are better than jargon in my opinion , and coming to a possibly deserted airfield its better to overdo the calls than underdo them.

Yes, the jargon is bloody useless. We get a lot of pilots practicing using the ILS at Oakey, and while you know exactly where they are on the approach, they then announce that they will carry out a "missed approach", which means nothing to someone not IFR rated, leaving you clueless as to what their intentions are.

I always assumed that it was correct to descend on the dead side and fly crosswind at circuit height. That way there is no risk of descending onto someone close in on downwind.

• Agree 4

I always assumed that it was correct to descend on the dead side and fly crosswind at circuit height. That way there is no risk of descending onto someone close in on downwind.

Yes, in the UK that is just called the 'Standard Overhead Join', descending dead side and a crosswind across the numbers to join for a full downwind. However, in the UK anything other the Standard Overhead Join, even at a familiar airfield, will cause lots of tutting and shaking of heads... Australia seems to offer more circuit joining options, which makes sense for familiar fields.

I would agree that joining overhead 500 ft above the circuit height of aircraft using the aerodrome is correct. It now is preferred that you join the circuit on on the downwind leg, this means descending on the crosswind leg from the dead side to circuit height. Descending mid field crosswind may give you a better view of the windsock but you may end up in front of someone else already established on the downwind leg which imho is just poor airmanship if it happens.

When you operate out of a busy airport this may be necessary, so you are watching carefully on the early descent. If thrre's a C152 who has just turned downwind he's never going to catch you so mid or even slightly early will work. If it's a Baron you need to join later downwind to allow him catch up space all the way down incl base and final.