USB Chargers

Hi everyone.

I'm interested to hear what USB kit is being used to charge IPads onboard.

Spruce shows a huge range price wise here, with some claims that a simple 12V USB charger is adequate and others with a very pricy ($600 USD) and fancy 12V to 5V converter integrated.

Thanks

Peter

My iPad won't charge from the cig lighter socket, although works with iPhone.

Purchased a couple of larger amp adapters, still no go.

They all work in the car so I assume that the electrical system in just not good enough.

Frustrated, I purchased a battery pack backup for about $100.

Job fixed.

PHIL.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My iPad won't charge from the cig lighter socket, although works with iPhone.Purchased a couple of larger amp adapters, still no go.

They all work in the car so I assume that the electrical system in just not good enough.

Frustrated, I purchased a battery pack backup for about $100.

Job fixed.

PHIL.

I have the same problem in my Archer, in which the cig lighter really was for lighting cigs and it has the ash trays to prove it. How can it be possible that my Belkin charges the ipad in my car but won't do so in the Archer?

Sounds identical to my Jab problem.

I do have two charging outlets, one either side of panel. Neither will charge the iPad.

The same adaptor works in the car.

I can only surmise that the voltage is too low for the iPad, as it charges the iPhone ok.

PHIL.

Sounds identical to my Jab problem.I do have two charging outlets, one either side of panel. Neither will charge the iPad.

I can only surmise that the voltage is too low for the iPad, as it charges the iPhone ok.

I tried a 12v version for the lighter socket without success and then trialled a 24/12v Belkin 2.1a output and it works fine. I read to do that on a forum, maybe even this one. I do note that if the pad has a low charge it does not increase the battery % available, but holds whatever charge there is in the pad.

The reasoning for the 24/12v Belkin was (I think) that the filtering was better suited for the battery issues that could occur with the Jab charging system. Maybe someone remembers what was written at the time. Anyhow, it has worked for at least 100 hrs without issue of charging although once the pad dropped out on overheat but it was a 38deg day and I left the pad in the plane on the floor wrapped up in a towel whilst I was away from the plane for a few hours. As soon as I connected the pad to the charger it dropped out on overheat. 15 minutes in the terminal airconditioning soon fixed that issue and it operated the 1.5 hrs back home without issue.

• More 1

Sounds identical to my Jab problem.I do have two charging outlets, one either side of panel. Neither will charge the iPad.

PHIL.

I bought a double USB Port Cig lighter adapter from Sportys Pilot shop for about $20 however ive found i get static through thr Radio while its charging.

It has 2x 2.4 Amp USB slots but im disappointed with the interference.

So I went to Jayco Electronics and bought a Battery Pack which sits in the side pocket of the Jab and charges the Ipad no problem. It will maintain 100percent charged for a long time

• Like 1

Those usb 12 v to 5 v adapters are renown for causing radio interfereance and ive had one melt and short out

Battery pack is the go and no surge spike problems for ipad etc

• Like 1

Some cords arent up to the task

Apple use some smarts to allow or not charging

I have one that starts , charges for a few minutes and stops, its a 2.5 +1 amp one.

I think newer ipads can better handle low curent chargers too

I was told by the Apple store in Townsville that chips are installed in genuine leads and chargers, and the Ipad ( maybe all other Apple products ) can sense the chip and accept a charge, apparently this was done to stop fires that he claimed to have happened. My old Ipad charges on near anything but my new one which isnt quite a year old now is a nightmare to charge at times.

I purchased a Chinese USB dash charger to fit to my Bushbaby, the Ipad wont charge from it, every other USB system I have works fine. So I'm going to take it and a small 12v battery and every lead I

have along with my Ipad to the Apple store and demand they sort it,

Steve

It is like everything else Apple does. The software is designed to make sure you only buy Apple accessories at exorbitant prices and charging plugs are different from device to device. Android devices on the other hand all use mini USB and any old charging device from a $2.00 chinese import to a genuine brand name device work fine.

I'll vouch for the Vority Dual USB car charger from Amazon. 3.1A and 1A outlets.

It will charge my mini iPad and iphone together

and most importantly, NO radio interference on the MGL v6 when charging.

Be careful with cheap battery packs, mostly LiPo types and it is possible they can short internally and catch fire.

They can runaway without warning and often well after charging or the damage was caused - like dropping etc

Mobile devices use the same technology but are very high quality and small so considered much safer.

25000Mah is a big one. You can buy fireproof bags. RC guys use them

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

I found a neat gadget at the caravan sale on now at the Brisbane show grounds. It is a dual USB charger with a built in volt meter. $25 if anyone is interested. They're at the HardKorr stand. I think the show ends today and these items don't show up on Korr's website. You'll have to go into the caravan show but it's worth a look.

559645753_usbvoltmeter.jpg.8e7e6e517e65f75eaa13aeb8936f70f7.jpg

Be quick!

• Informative 1

I've had mobs of fun with different cigarette lighter adapters and cables; they've all caused radio interference, but not all the time. After replacing a dodgy one I thought I'd nailed it, but after a couple of hours on my Narromine trip the rythmic static started again. Pull out the plug and it stops. Unfortunately that's not an option, because OzRunways can drain my iPad in about an hour.

Even charging my iPad directly from a flat Lithium booster pack causes the same rythmic static.

Next week I'll try a few different cables. I presume Apple cables are all shielded- I have an old one which the outer white coating has crumbled off, showing its wrapped in braided wire.

I've had mobs of fun with different cigarette lighter adapters and cables; they've all caused radio interference, but not all the time. After replacing a dodgy one I thought I'd nailed it, but after a couple of hours on my Narromine trip the rythmic static started again. Pull out the plug and it stops. Unfortunately that's not an option, because OzRunways can drain my iPad in about an hour.Even charging my iPad directly from a flat Lithium booster pack causes the same rythmic static.

Next week I'll try a few different cables. I presume Apple cables are all shielded- I have an old one which the outer white coating has crumbled off, showing its wrapped in braided wire.

I've had occasional issues with having the iPad and iPhones interfering with the radio. I'm not certain of this, but I think it could be related to the wifi in the apple devices.

Normally, I use my iPhone and iPad on the wifi at home. If I forget to turn the wifi off while flying, the radio periodically un-squelches with static. When I turn the wifi off on all the devices, it seems to stop. Could be the problem, but I'm not sure.

Note: I still have the mobile data switched on so that I can see the OzRunway traffic.

• Informative 1

I've had occasional issues with having the iPad and iPhones interfering with the radio. I'm not certain of this, but I think it could be related to the wifi in the apple devices.Normally, I use my iPhone and iPad on the wifi at home. If I forget to turn the wifi off while flying, the radio periodically un-squelches with static. When I turn the wifi off on all the devices, it seems to stop. Could be the problem, but I'm not sure.

Note: I still have the mobile data switched on so that I can see the OzRunway traffic.

I forgot to mention that when the wifi was on, the un-squelching was not constant, meaning that it would come and go for a while, then stop for a while then start up again. It also seemed worse on some frequencies and not on other ones.

Installed a standard cigarette lighter and used a USB plug in attachment (standard from supercheap or any car shop. Cig Plug allowed me to use other items (12V) when needed. Worked a charm. Also ran an auxilliary fuel pump off it in flight to transfer fuel from tank to tank. Plugged the Ipad into it in flight and no radio interference or other problems.

Interesting CS. I hadn't thought of switching WiFi off, but I will next flight. I'm still convinced the noise is related to charging, because it stops dead each time I pull out the plug.

Installed a standard cigarette lighter and used a USB plug in attachment (standard from supercheap or any car shop. Cig Plug allowed me to use other items (12V) when needed. Worked a charm. Also ran an auxilliary fuel pump off it in flight to transfer fuel from tank to tank. Plugged the Ipad into it in flight and no radio interference or other problems.

...so what's your secret?

Carbon torroid in the circuit and a good capacitor across the radio connections plus suppressed plugs. Never had a problem. (I run an XCOM radio and installed the recommended Capacitor...no probs.) Cig plus is also handy when camping as I can run small items off the Aircraft battery.

• Informative 1