SR-22 crash Houston

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Controllers can get a bollocking if they do not take into account pilots that are 'struggling'. My brother was an ATC officer for many years and it's part of their training (human factors). ATC that make soothing noises can save lives while those who are impatient and aggressive can get people killed. The ATC seemed to be doing the right thing in this sad case....

low time pilot, tightening up a turn....in an aircraft not known for its docile handling

Not to mention the incorrect use of the rudder which is widely supported and taught.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Controllers can get a bollocking if they do not take into account pilots that are 'struggling'. My brother was an ATC officer for many years and it's part of their training (human factors). ATC that make soothing noises can save lives while those who are impatient and aggressive can get people killed. The ATC seemed to be doing the right thing in this sad case....

That was my point. It didn't seem to me as though the controller had put any pressure on, quite the opposite I felt that he was quite supportive. But then I have never flown into an area controlled by ATC.

Cheers Geoff13

• Agree 1

But then I have never flown into an area controlled by ATC.

It's a high speed conveyor belt with no spare time. Those radio procedures, and circuit procedures you were going to bone up on, but didn't............once you're in the conveyor the pressure is on, and if you make one mistake that can set you up for others. She wasn't up with the aircraft, and the controller ordered her to tighten her turns twice..........

Houston Hobby is a hub for Southwest Airlines, one of the largest in the US. There are arriving 737s every minute or so. There are two GA fields in that part of Houston that would have been safer choices to flight plan. Poor choice for a low time pilot. She died with her husband and her brother. Should not have happened.

The controller saying straighten up what does that mean? going sideways? skidding? then a spin anybody know what causes that?

The controllers will say a similar thing at Bankstown airport with 3 parallel runways, they will tell you to not cross runway centreline..

No controller will ever tell a pilot to "skid" the aircraft, tightening up the turn sounds like a similar instruction as given at Bankstown, more bank angle, which is not a problem, unless your slow, and UNBALANCED....

• Agree 1

Either way, terribly tragic outcome and the video gives a very clear perspective of the impact forces involved when impacting the ground from a spin. Death would have been instant from multiple traumas. I would wager this video will be used in training about the consequences of spins at low altitude.

Clearly this area of flying technique needs attention. It happens far too often and the teaching of slow balanced flying must be without ambiguity. You don't get 2 chances when you don't have the height. Nev

No controller will ever tell a pilot to "skid" the aircraft, tightening up the turn sounds like a similar instruction as given at Bankstown, more bank angle, which is not a problem, unless your slow, and UNBALANCED....

This is how stuff goes wrong on forums, what I thought what may have happened is the controller saw the aircraft skidding sideways and said to straighten it meaning it could have been unbalanced and ready for spin entry. I have been going on about the practice of steering on final with rudder only for a long time now, you might get away with it in a C 150 but not a good idea in some other types. I have never seen the practice endorsed in any training manual and wonder why on earth it is taught.

• Caution 1

Hang on, I thought she ran out of fuel?

Whether she ran out of fuel or not, she spun in. That is obvious from the spinning shadow in the video and witness accounts. How stable is the Cirrus in slow flight?