Aircraft charity raffle - Vote on aircraft type and tickets

How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?

• No tickets
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five plus

at 40deg C, the Jab was unable to fly in that heat.

Interesting comment there mate. I am from North Queensland and in summer those temps are not uncommon and with the 12 operating here locally, from 120, 160, 170 & 230s it is not a problem? Might be something with the set up of the particular aircraft you are referring to & none have water cooled heads. Beats me.

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment there mate. I am from North Queensland and in summer those temps are not uncommon and with the 12 operating here locally, from 120, 160, 170 & 230s it is not a problem? Might be something with the set up of the particular aircraft you are referring to & none have water cooled heads. Beats me.

Have a read of the Jabiru operating limitations in the POH. 38 degrees ambient is the upper limit for the j170 and I think the others are the same.

Onetrack,One day I'll have to go fly a Jabiru, great looking aircraft.

The only reason for my preference Is it is used by the flying club, & the negative feature when flying the Foxbat at 40deg C, the Jab was unable to fly in that heat.

Hopefully the water cooled heads should fix the problem.

spacesailor

You're thinking about the township of Jabiru, not the plane. Jabiru the town has a high summer temp of 33c.

Both the Foxbat and Jabiru are rated at 38c max, probably due to the resins used in construction. I'm not sure about the density altitude effects of both planes. I haven't flown the Foxbat on stinking hot days but the Jab was OK. Beer to beer the Jabiru is much better.

Have a read of the Jabiru operating limitations in the POH. 38 degrees ambient is the upper limit for the j170 and I think the others are the same.

I would believe this is about rated stall speed rather than any aircraft temperature issue.

• Caution 1

So if I was to organise an aircraft charity raffle (from the discussions on the other thread) a couple of questions and a poll on ticket prices to test your collective appetite....- what aircraft ($50 to $100k range limit) and why?

Quick poll on the thread as well to assess how many tickets you would buy for this type of aircraft if it was offered a $50 per ticket.

Many years back, a raffle was organised in Melbourne with a 1980 model Cessna 172N, (rego VH-PRZ), as the prize. I have no details as to how it was organised, who, when or where. You might be able to trace the registration back via CASA and locate the original owner. Perhaps one of our senior instructors in the Melbourne area might remember this...DG?

happy days,

To me the choice of charity would be far more important than the choice of aircraft. When I buy a raffle ticket, I consider it to be a donation no matter how good the odds it is still a lottery.I only donate to charities where I am certain that that majority of funds go to those who need it and not to fund the machine behind it.

+1. Odds are it's going to be a loss so it's not "in it to win it" it's "donating to a good cause, and if I happen to luck out and get a plane too that'd be amazing".

• Agree 1

The chosen charity would need to be very closely examined.

My sister-in-law works for one of Australia's best known charities, and not only does she earn a top salary, the perks they get on top, to me, seems obcene, because the money comes from the pockets of good-hearted people intending it to be used in a far more meaningful way.

Birthday lunches at overpriced, top Sydney Hotels for staff members, is only the tip of the iceberg. I sadly hesitate to donate these days.

Their credit-card expenses are another rort, which would not please the majority of kind souls who donate in good faith.

My son feeds, and helps homeless people and anyone in need, which I think is a far better way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you were considering a charity aligned to the aviationtheme you could look at Funflight. Haven't had anything directly to do with them but was recently told about it from a member of the Aero club.

My mum is a volunteer at a local helicopter ambulance service and was shocked that the new hangar for the helo was going to cost $500K. I thought it seemed a little high considering how compact a helo is.

She is continually shocked how disorganised they are but I explained to her ex ADF staff only work one way.