Light plane crash at Terminal Drive, Bilinga

According to media reports it is a Diamond DA42 from Australian Wings Academy. With an RPT landing every 5 minutes at Gold Coast Airport, this must have been very disruptive.

Posted the rego above easy to lookup the rego.

Aircraft that forget to lower the gear don't look any different to those that have a complete failure but all planes have an emergency extension procedure and at least would inform the tower and bring them into the picture concerning the "emergency" landing. Often you will get some but not all gear down and locked. The POH has the information about all this. Nev

There is an old saying in aviation:

"There only 2 types of pilots; those who have landed gear up and those who are going to."

(Not saying that is necessarily the case here.)

RAAus pilots may possibly not be liable to this fate as we are not allowed to fly aircraft where the gear can be retracted (yet).

• More 1

It's a silly saying. IF having the gear down is important enough to you, you will emphasise the need to do it. There's a warning horn too. "3 greens and a landing clearance" isn't too much to remember. If you are in a trance what else do you forget? It usually happens with a non standard situation . Don't be just a "mechanical" pilot . Be situationally aware.. Nev

• Like 2

It's a silly saying. IF having the gear down is important enough to you, you will emphasise the need to do it. There's a warning horn too. "3 greens and a landing clearance" isn't too much to remember. If you are in a trance what else do you forget? It usually happens with a non standard situation . Don't be just a "mechanical" pilot . Be situationally aware.. Nev

The saying may be a little trite but I don't think it is silly. It is a warning - to not forget to ensure the gear is down.

I would wager there are many pilots out there who have forgotten to do their pre-landing checks occasionally. There are probably some who don't do any!

As you say it usually happens in a non standard situation where the pilot is distracted by one or more of the may things that can cause distraction. And yes, good discipline is the key.

DWF, we can fly retracts, a friend has a retract sting, there are retract tecnams and a few others like Pioneer 300. I have RU endorsement on my pilot certificate. However I do prefer fixed gear as it is usually lighter, stronger, less complex, and one less thing to forget or to fail. The increase in speed is minimal, if any, over well faired fixed gear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

In a lighty the retract gear is usually heavier, but less strong, costly, requires more servicing, something else to go wrong, takes up wing space that could hold fuel, etc. But If you have a fast plane it's working for you all the time, giving more efficiency (Range and Speed) or a reduced fuel requirement that will offset the weight penalty. You also need CS props and a sleek design. COST, Cost and usually small wheels that don't like outlandings in grass or soft surfaces. Needed if you cruise above about 160 knots. (roughly)...Nev

DWF, we can fly retracts, a friend has a retract sting, there are retract tecnams and a few others like Pioneer 300. I have RU endorsement on my pilot certificate. However I do prefer fixed gear as it is usually lighter, stronger, less complex, and one less thing to forget or to fail. The increase in speed is minimal, if any, over well faired fixed gear.

Also the SeaRay's.

There is an old saying in aviation:

"There only 2 types of pilots; those who have landed gear up and those who are going to."

(Not saying that is necessarily the case here.)

RAAus pilots may possibly not be liable to this fate as we are not allowed to fly aircraft where the gear can be retracted (yet).

I fly retract under RAA and was flying retract under AUF with amphibian floats, many years ago.

• Like 1

... and hoping to fly a retract Risen ...

Oh yes, my dream, saw it in Europe fell in love - BUT - its a bowling green landing aircraft, the undercart is not built for Aussie outback strip conditions. Dammmmm Shame!. Goes like a cut cat, and its "fowler sort of flaps" slow it right down. Its also not cheap with the Aussie dollar - unless lotto comes in. Great for tar runways and long point to point trips. Roberto has built a brilliant point to point toy.

In a "dirty" Aircraft the difference between gear up and down is small and the weight of retractable gear ends up making only a small speed gain. However in the Mooney, a very "clean" aerodynamic aircraft the difference was significant. Had a gear retract problem once, gear down and the craft could not get above 120 knots, gear up it got 165 knots. OK, if it were to be fixed gear the gear doors wouldn't be a drag etc but retract can make a significant difference.

• Like 1