Hoax radio transmissions, Melbourne area

There are some very exotic direction finding machines out there, the irritating thing is they need to hear his transmissions first! Some Amateur radio operators indulge in a sport called foxhunting, where we go hunting a small transmitter hidden away by the contest organiser, it might be up a tree or in a ladies toilet - its surprising how fast these things can be found. When we have been hunting nuisance transmissions, it is harder because they are not continuous, and often mobile. The method - pick his pattern of operation, get to the general area, DON"T let on if you are close, use something like a dopplescan (multi-antenna receiver with electronics that 'rotate' the aerials and the phase tells you instantly the direction) and let the ACMA know any information you get. To get the general area, if anyone hearing it can give the signal strength and their position, it would help, but without calibrated strength meters its accuracy is pretty ordinary.

The sooner that deranged peabrain is found and incarcerated in a mental hospital, the better!

David

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

I personally, don't like reading about this sort of crap. There's always the potential that things can go other than what the flight was originally planned.

Hope they find our who was responsible, and throw the book at them.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The man has been charged with Commonwealth offences and he is entitled to the presumption of innocence and a fair trial.

The matters are now sub judice and speculating on either guilt or penalty at this stage may lead to an action in contempt including against the publisher.

Discuss the seriousness of the offences by all means but my suggestion is that the alleged offender should be left out of it.

Kaz

• Agree 2

19, with diagnosed autism and depression - as stated by his lawyer and legitimately reported in the news. The court will take this into account when sentencing (as they are required to do by law).

You are actually allowed to report matters of fact after they are presented in Court without being guilty of contempt.

Discuss the seriousness of the offences by all means but my suggestion is that the alleged offender should be left out of it.

No idea of the identity of the alleged offender or the evidence likely to be presented, merely suggesting that if an individual is convicted that the likely penalty on current history is likely to be less then public expectation.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

So we are not allowed to assume guilt. If I say the person who did this should be hit with the full force of the law, or even better, hung drawn and quartered. I am not assuming whoever is guilty. I am assuming that the reported event has happened and that someone must therefore be guilty. Not that the person charged is guilty.