Guess this'll buff out !

If the winds at Clare last night were anything like they were here, only a large buried concrete tie down point would have had any hope of holding a lifting surface down. A huge blue gum in our front yard was torn out roots and all, and that was growing in rocky ground. Went out with SES this evening to a farmhouse which had 70% of its roof dumped in the yard, timbers and all. True cyclone conditions.

As a fellow 19- builder, I share your heartache at seeing the above result.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sad to see a plane end up damaged that way. I saw a set up where something was laid along the top of the wing surfaces to stop them lifting so effectively, acting like a long round spoiler or hangar when ever possible. Perhaps spare hangars may be available in the future. Everything comes at a cost. Nev

• Agree 1

I have fitted upper surface spoilers into my Jabiru wing covers supplied by Punkinhead. I used the square section foam rubber extrusion used to cover the car roof rack piping as available from Clark Rubber. Pushed into pockets sewn onto the wing covers. Has always worked for me but the wind at Wollongong hasnt yet got to the strength in SA. Will try and post a photo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

[ATTACH=full]47441[/ATTACH] PhotoPS I have a rope tie down from the crankshaft to the ground.

Do the hours spent in wrapping/unwrapping get entered in the Pilot's log or the Aircraft log? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and a roll cage would do what exactly?Took a lot to work out.....Hmmmmmm!

Well if that was a landing flip you might have a bit of a headache, besides being in there and then trying to get out. ...and smelling fuel.

Not everyone is a plane spotter.

Not sure why 2 people thought my post was funny either?

Very sad to see a good bird banged up like that sir. Trouble with tiedowns is all ways going to be wheres into wind during the event. Got to aggree with bex but low wing equals solid roll bar plus canopy hammer.