Prang at Starke Field

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the ABC at 1203 today. Hope all turns out OK.Two people trapped under flipped aircraft

Not at Donnington,,,,,,,is at Starke field at Woodstock,The same strip that Ross had his accident at.,,http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/two-people-trapped-in-small-plane-at-woodstock-near-townsville/news-story/e2c5ceac26e40b6b282b516cfad878ef

Not at Donnington,,,,,,,is at Starke field at Woodstock,,,http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/two-people-trapped-in-small-plane-at-woodstock-near-townsville/news-story/e2c5ceac26e40b6b282b516cfad878ef

Both out and in rescue chopper on the way to hospital,. VH rego RV6 nose wheel collapsed

It seems like the "rescuers" didn't know how light these RV6A's are, can't blame them for that. Three guys at most could lift the tail up and have the victims released. I have done that with just one other guy. Same type of plane.

Empty weight would be 1,100 pounds at most, plus any fuel. And 360 pound of that is on the nose.

The YouTube video appears to show lots of big guys standing around possibly waiting for a crane and news says they were trapped for hours? Hope the outcome is good.

I carry a small axe just in case this should happen.

• Agree 4
  • Haha 1

It seems like the "rescuers" didn't know how light these RV6A's are, can't blame them for that. Three guys at most could lift the tail up and have the victims released. I have done that with just one other guy. Same type of plane.Empty weight would be 1,100 pounds at most, plus any fuel. And 360 pound of that is on the nose.

The YouTube video appears to show lots of big guys standing around possibly waiting for a crane and news says they were trapped for hours? Hope the outcome is good.

I think spinal injurys caused caution

• Agree 7

I wouldn't rush into conclusions from press reports - emergency services had to travel 45km to the site.

Why spoil a site tradition of rushing into a conclusion. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Hope all praties concerned are ok.

• Like 2

Doesn`t appear to me a small Axe or an even bigger one would have been of any use to the guys inside this one!

Edit...From the photo, it looks to me like the main wheels spats wouldn`t allow the front wheel to have much clearance from the ground on landing! It wouldn`t take much for the back end of the spats to drag on the ground.

Here's a small tip from an experienced aero-engineer: for a low-wing aircraft that does NOT have a proper turtle-deck with a decent 'hoop' behind your head, draw a line from the base of the spinner to the top of the tailplane. If you head in normal sitting position is close to - or worse, above - that line, then you have a very severe risk of spinal compression in an overturn - even a gentle one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2

Doesn`t appear to me a small Axe or an even bigger one would have been of any use to the guys inside this one!

Edit...From the photo, it looks to me like the main wheels spats wouldn`t allow the front wheel to have much clearance from the ground on landing! It wouldn`t take much for the back end of the spats to drag on the ground.

I'd consider a small garden type spade so that if on dirt or gravel you could make a relief in the ground to allow crawling out, once canopy broken; wouldn't take up too much room or weight.

• Like 1

I'd consider a small garden type spade so that if on dirt or gravel you could make a relief in the ground to allow crawling out, once canopy broken; wouldn't take up too much room or weight.

Possibly! If neck not broken or head caved in, not to mention all other possibilities!!!

Confirms my advocacy for tailwheel and high wing. You are I'm serious $#1t if the nosewheel collapses on most Rec planes as the rear ones will tip you straight forward and what's left of the nosewheel digs in. Nev

• Agree 2

I flew a Zenith 701 (High Wing) from home here, over a 10 year period! The nose wheel assembly on the 701 is very robust compared to a lot of other LSA`s but I always put it down on the main wheels first, only allowing the nose wheel to touch the ground when the speed was low enough.

I wouldn`t want to have to put a Low wing, tricycle undercarriage, LSA, down onto a rough paddock somewhere, due to an engine failure.

Frank.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

True Frank.

I will just keep my nosewheel down the back.

Mine is low wing but a solid full turtle deck as mentioned. Plus a full bulkhead behind me.

Bubble canopies scare me.

Quite a number of nosewheel vans have had this experience.

Is it pilot error or design.

Vans do produce an excellent kit.

You find one you like and pay your money.

Then when finished take your chances?

As mentioned a good roll over structure is

not unnecessary weight.

Also mentioned that most likely the tail could have been lifted. A length of pipe under it with two men on each side would have been easy.

Hope our aviators are not too knocked around.

Chas

• Like 1

Quite a number of nosewheel vans have had this experience.Is it pilot error or design. Chas

G`Day Chas! Probably a bit of both! Take a look at the photo I posted and take a look at how much of the main wheel is showing from the spat, then look at the angle of the rear of the spat relative to the bottom of the wheel or the fuselage behind the wing.....Seems to me like the nose wheel is going to be very close to the ground, on touch-down, if the back of the spats are not going to touch the ground....Not much room for error....What do you think?

Quite a number of nosewheel vans have had this experience.

Vans do produce an excellent kit.

Which is it, do they produce an excellent kit, or do nose wheels fail often?

It's not difficult or much extra weight to integrate a real roll bar

679120200_roll1.jpg.024cc8df109875599711feebfe8123e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1