New ASIC requirements

ian00798

An approach to your local member may be more effective, but they make you go thru hoops.

Senators & Members Search Results – Parliament of Australia

Barnaby Joyce:

http://www.barnabyjoyce.com.au/index.cfm?action=formhandler

Contact Senator or Member – Parliament of Australia

Aviation Minister:

The Hon Darren Chester MP contact details

• Like 2

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were lucky to get a response. I didn't.

If I remember correctly, it took the minister about 2 weeks to respond to me. I addressed it to the federal transport minister.I was quite disgusted with the reply, so I deleted this correspondence unfortunately, but the general theme of my email was the unwarranted and excessive expense when compared with similar systems, like the Blue and White cards, and the very weak and dubious reasons for the need for them.

Hey OK, can you please post his email address so that I - & hopefully other rortees - can also email him to let him know why we strongly object to such a baseless, blatant extraction of our money?My local RPT airfield has no security. It is bordered by farmland on all sides, & anybody could walk in at any time. But why would they? Only a fool or a clever accountant could claim an ASIC card makes one jot of difference to a terrorist.

Bruce

Why stop at Barnaby? That's the beauty of copy & paste, email them all. Maybe one of them could get a little concerned with thousands of emails flooding in that may inspire him/her to do something...
  • Agree 1

Is there not a petitions site the Aus government provides to allow disaffected subjects to submit? There is one in the UK and I think if they get 10,000 signatures the relevant department has to provide a written response (in digital form); if there is I think over 100k signatures, they have to table and debate it in parliament.

If there isn't an Aussie equivalent, I am happy to draft a petition, distilling the reasons to out on a petition site, though I think it should formally be submitted by an Aussie resident.

• Agree 1

An interesting situation now arises for RAA (only) pilots in regional areas given:

1. The face to face requirements

2. CASA - only issues for CASA licence holders with a current medical.

3. RAA no longer interested in RAA pilots

RAA so out of touch it is becoming past a joke. Should they be successful in gaining CTA access for pilot certificate holders, I wonder how they are expected to gain an ASIC to be able to use it.

Another prime example of what your regional rep. could take to the board table and have addressed, but of course we don't have them anymore - but that's what the members voted for.

Doesn't affect me personally but only by virtue of holding a CASA licence also.

An interesting situation now arises for RAA (only) pilots in regional areas given:1. The face to face requirements

2. CASA - only issues for CASA licence holders with a current medical.

3. RAA no longer interested in RAA pilots

RAA so out of touch it is becoming past a joke. Should they be successful in gaining CTA access for pilot certificate holders, I wonder how they are expected to gain an ASIC to be able to use it.

Another prime example of what your regional rep. could take to the board table and have addressed, but of course we don't have them anymore - but that's what the members voted for.

Doesn't affect me personally but only by virtue of holding a CASA licence also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ASIC card only required if you want to be air side at a security controlled airport? I didn't think it had anything to do with CTA, or anything else operationally in the air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ASIC card only required if you want to be air side at a security controlled airport? I didn't think it had anything to do with CTA, or anything else operationally in the air.

C & D are security controlled (at least everyone I have used) - unless you are only referring to transit rights which is a pretty limited use of a CTA endorsement.

C & D are security controlled (at least everyone I have used) - unless you are only referring to transit rights which is a pretty limited use of a CTA endorsement.

But there are lots, and I mean lots, of security controlled airports not in C or D class. That is an issue that annoys me, is there any need for it? Take a casual look at ERSA and it will not take long for you to find one. Examples of such airports include Emerald, Moree, Hervey Bay. No C or D, but security controlled so requiring ASIC card.

Do you need an ASIC card to transit through CTA? I thought a Controlled Airspace endorsement only would allow you to do this? I don't have one, so I am speculating. My understanding is a ASIC is only required on the ground at security controlled airports, nothing more, as I said in a previous post.

• Agree 2

But there are lots, and I mean lots, of security controlled airports not in C or D class.That is an issue that annoys me, is there any need for it? Take a casual look at ERSA and it will not take long for you to find one. Examples of such airports include Emerald, Moree, Hervey Bay. No C or D, but security controlled so requiring ASIC card.

Do you need an ASIC card to transit through CTA? I thought a Controlled Airspace endorsement only would allow you to do this? I don't have one, so I am speculating. My understanding is a ASIC is only required on the ground at security controlled airports, nothing more, as I said in a previous post.

I would go at least a step further and say MOST security (thats a laugh a 1/2) controlled airfield are not in/under controlled airspace.

Check out these quite recent examples:

Mudgee - last time I was there, they had not been a RPT service in years and yet it requires you to have an ASIC airside.

Moruya - has an RPT (I think about 12 seats) which shares the field with an aero club, skydiving business etc few of the other participants bother with the required ASIC & why should they.

Moree - Last time I was there the airfield was so empty it felt like it had been abandoned. ASIC required go figure.

Armidale - Regular RPT, no one interested in your ASIC. Gate codes easy to access. Nice facilities.

• Agree 1

There is no arguement about the numerous airports being security controlled thus requiring the ASIC card (stupid waste of money with no real benefit IMO) - but required by law.

But the point is now being made harder to obtain by a lot of pilots because of the RAA decision to cease handling them.

• Agree 1

Is there not a petitions site the Aus government provides to allow disaffected subjects to submit? There is one in the UK and I think if they get 10,000 signatures the relevant department has to provide a written response (in digital form); if there is I think over 100k signatures, they have to table and debate it in parliament.If there isn't an Aussie equivalent, I am happy to draft a petition, distilling the reasons to out on a petition site, though I think it should formally be submitted by an Aussie resident.

There is! Here is the site: Petitions – Parliament of AustraliaIf someone more knowledgeable than me can draft one up, I'm sure we can have a few supporting it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There is no arguement about the numerous airports being security controlled thus requiring the ASIC card (stupid waste of money with no real benefit IMO) - but required by law.But the point is now being made harder to obtain by a lot of pilots because of the RAA decision to cease handling them.

RAA has done us a favour - ASIC has become a metastasizing disease. That fact that it is harder to get just might galvanise the amature pilot fraternity to "cut it out".

It seems to me the conditions are now about right to get the ASIC requirement (for all non commercial pilots) on minor airfields thrown out. (I have no problem with the ASIC for major airports around the nation)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Much of the decision is left to the local operator as to how it is done. It IS BS. Once these things are implemented it's hard to get it removed. They should come with a sunset clause and have to be re applied after that date by passing the rule again. When I am Da King.... Nev

• Agree 2

This address is for the new Facebook group Aviators against ASIC which was started by Dan Compton The description for the group says;

The ASIC appears to only serve as another money grab by contractors and government.

No such card is required in the USA, even as a foreign pilot I can transit the states on my USA private licence without question.

We have a 10year passport and 5 year drivers licence- why is the ASIC 2 years only?

Our pilots licence has a photo and should be proof of identity and trust.

• Agree 4

In my opinion the ASIC is a pure con and has many failure points.

As an Australian and have been flying for 30 years or more, why must I prove that I am not a security risk. On the ground what can I really do as a RAA pilot?

What is the exact risk profile we pose flying a RAA aircraft.

I can as I also hold a GA license, fly in, controlled airspace and be close to main runways airborne without an ASIC in a RAA aircraft, which I would assume is more of a terrorist risk as they have no idea I exist and have really breached the intent of the security system.

So I cant land at some airports without an ASIC but I can fly over them without one.

It makes no sense whatsoever as this is a huge hole in the system again.

Also its really smoke and mirrors from all the clowns running Canberra and their minions who advise them (badly), and as stated above in other posts, airports are surrounded with basic wire fences or some are wide open and anyone with half a brain that wanted to could get airside in just about any vehicle.

I do NOT object if you are Australian citizen, to a simple ID and police check (I am sure if you are a person of interest from the Feds it with show up on a police check at the station) and don't have any red flags and pay say 50 bucks for the honour of it. But anything else is just BS for non commercial private pilots or RAA sport pilots.

• Agree 2

Realistically, if you are a person of interest to the police/intelligence agencies, they will certainly know you fly as well as whatever you may do. They may be observing you while they wait for you to led them to others or make a mistake to reel you in, so to speak. If you are a person of interest and you don't yet fly, would they really want you to be tipped off you're a person of interest when you submit your ASIC application once you a ready to go flying? Doubtful.. so anything that comes up will be relatively petty - maybe along the lines of known non-terrorist criminal behaviour or some form of mental illness in which they think you may post a risk while in command of a rotating knife-blade. This has nothing to do with terrorism, but is a way to extract money from mere mortals to keep those that should be unemployed from being on the scrap-heap...

Log in to Facebook | FacebookThis address is for the new Facebook group Aviators against ASIC which was started by Dan Compton The description for the group says;

The ASIC appears to only serve as another money grab by contractors and government.

No such card is required in the USA, even as a foreign pilot I can transit the states on my USA private licence without question.

We have a 10year passport and 5 year drivers licence- why is the ASIC 2 years only?

Our pilots licence has a photo and should be proof of identity and trust.

I just joined it. There's over 150 members so far.....

I also just joined ! The ASIC card is a joke ! I have had one from the start and no one has ever looked ! No pilot ever committed a terrorism crime so why are pilots treated like terrorist ! In London men hired a vechicle and caused terrorism and created havoc and loss of life ! Does that mean motorist need an ASIC ?

I WILL NOT RENEW MY ASIC AND I WILL OBJECT STONGLY AGAINST THIS STUPID REDICULOUS WROUGHT THAT THE GOVERNMENT CONTINUALLY ALLOWS ! This current state and federal government are the worst ever in my opinion and I admit I vote for their team but never again !

HOW CAN ANYONE BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE A CAR, RIDE A TRAIN, TAXI, PLANE OR WALK THE STREETS WITHOUT AN ASIC ? WHAT A JOKE !

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I also just joined ! The ASIC card is a joke ! I have had one from the start and no one has ever looked ! No pilot ever committed a terrorism crime so why are pilots treated like terrorist ! In London men hired a vechicle and caused terrorism and created havoc and loss of life ! Does that mean motorist need an ASIC ?I WILL NOT RENEW MY ASIC AND I WILL OBJECT STONGLY AGAINST THIS STUPID REDICULOUS WROUGHT THAT THE GOVERNMENT CONTINUALLY ALLOWS ! This current state and federal government are the worst ever in my opinion and I admit I vote for their team but never again !

HOW CAN ANYONE BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE A CAR, RIDE A TRAIN, TAXI, PLANE OR WALK THE STREETS WITHOUT AN ASIC ? WHAT A JOKE !

Totally agree. But the state government has little or nothing to do with this issue. The federal government is the one over-seeing the ASIC card system and Australian aviation. The only other government body that would have anything to do with aviation, would be local councils, maintaining local airports in their districts, dealing with zoning and building issues etc. But they have nothing to do with this.