New ASIC requirements

ian00798

This is getting absolutely ridiculous, I mean how many light a/c or GA/RAA type pilots have committed a crime let alone a terrorist act on an airfield that has RPT ops in the last 50 years for example, I think its zero, nil, none, nadah, zilch.

What moron would make the process more complicated than as mentioned in a earlier post getting a passport, isn't the terrorist choice weapon trucks these days.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting absolutely ridiculous, I mean how many light a/c or GA/RAA type pilots have committed a crime let alone a terrorist act on an airfield that has RPT ops in the last 50 years for example, I think its zero, nil, none, nadah, zilch.What moron would make the process more complicated than as mentioned in a earlier post getting a passport, isn't the terrorist choice weapon trucks these days.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

None of this is about security, it's all about the so called security experts creating work for their industry. With modern technology there's no reason ASICs need expire, if someone holding one becomes a person of interest their ASIC status can be changed and scanners would track their movements / deny access to security sensitive areas.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Nothing makes me laugh harder than rocking up at a security controlled airport, committing the heinous crime of crossing some invisible line that supposedly defines the RPT apron and getting intercepted by security (a misnomer if ever there has been one). Doesn't matter how many ASICs are on display, they will look at you as though you rocked up with an armoury of AK's and RPGs and threaten you with everything up to the death penalty. Of course when you see the security agents your stuck laughing because they would be unlikely to catch a cold in a kindergarten and stern words are the only thing they have, and most could be outrun by an anaemic asthmatic ant. But it shows how hopeless the ASIC is. If the system is that great it shouldn't matter if I wander into the RPT apron, I'm not a security threat. Clearly the ASIC proves nothing.

• Agree 3

Having just seen the Boston marathon bombing movie, I have to agree with Benny. The mad man behind the terror attack would have killed lots more with a truck. And a truck would be easier to come by than a bomb or two. Personally, I would find it quite a big job to research the recipes, acquire the ingredients, and build a bomb.

• Agree 1

If we practiced passive resistance 'en mass' by ignoring ASIC requirements, would CASA prosecute ALL of us or see the futility of it all?. Scenario: I have no criminal record, suddenly decide to commit terrorist act, so I get an ASIC for airport access. Same if I want to commit a mass shooting. All these rules do is penalise honest people. A case of Governments being 'seen to do something' in response to an occurrance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I certainly don't aim to open myself up to being fined even though I do agree that it is a silly system. Until I renew my asic I just avoid those airports, it does frustrate me and I will get it again but I prefer that to a big fine.

• Agree 1

I have at several airports with security and asked for the code for gates, never been asked for asic card nor present one,talking about ballina, bundy ,hervey bay ,archerfield,gladstone what a farce its useless in stopping a terrorist its revenue gouging and making the faceless bureaucrats empire building ,useless twats

• Agree 3

ASIC has got nothing (n.o.t.h.i.n.g.) to do with CASA.

Yes sir you are 100% correct, however from their web site they (CASA) will fine you for not having a valid ASIC when required, just looked at the fine, it's $550 each time, still have never seen or been approached by an ARO even after requesting parking information from them as just mentioned by gareth in the post above.

Yes I have a valid ASIC which was just renewed, like all my previous renewals (three) it was seamless & took about 10 days to receive my new card from the renewal request, why change things if it ain't broken.yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif

Could you legally use your ASIC to gain entry to a cheap coffee place at a major airport. One of the conditions of the card is that you only use it where it is necessary for your flying activity. I don't think gaining access at a major airport would stand up to scrutiny.Does CASA have anything to do with the requirement for an ASIC? I thought it was dreamed up by a different govt. department.

If you fly into YBSU (Sunny coast), you need an ASIC. IF you want to get a coffee your ASIC is useless. You land, leave via the GA gate, go though security to get to the sterile side where the coffee shops are in the terminal. When you leave, you go back through security to the non sterile side. To get airside you call a number, they open the gate remotely and you are back on the sterile side with out going through security. It would be easier if we could enter via a side door of the RPT apron, but that is not allowed.

There is security controlled airports, where you land and the only way back in is by calling someone and giving your ASIC details, rego number and name. Longreach is one of those places. I dont get it.

There is a lot I disagree with when it comes to the RA community, but ASIC is not one of those. Its a joke.

BTW, those saying you get a 10% discount at duty free, you are still paying a premium. Airport duty free in Aus is dearer than at lot of local reatailers even with a 10% discount.

• Like 1

If we practiced passive resistance 'en mass' by ignoring ASIC requirements, would CASA prosecute ALL of us or see the futility of it all?. Scenario: I have no criminal record, suddenly decide to commit terrorist act, so I get an ASIC for airport access. Same if I want to commit a mass shooting. All these rules do is penalise honest people. A case of Governments being 'seen to do something' in response to an occurrance.

A terrorist is not going to land his Plane and dodge security, he will fly straight into the tanker.

I have at several airports with security and asked for the code for gates, never been asked for asic card nor present one,talking about ballina, bundy ,hervey bay ,archerfield,gladstone what a farce its useless in stopping a terrorist its revenue gouging and making the faceless bureaucrats empire building ,useless twats

Try Emerald, Townsville, Longreach, Birdsville. Some places are just crazy. Needed to produce ASIC to get fuel at Birdsville!

Hervey Bay can be difficult, your experience there is contrary to mine.

• Informative 1

Landed , got fuel, parked up outside aero club, stayed 3 days , went for scenic flights every day, went to Bundy , never asked for asic ,spoke to security/bowser guy he was very friendly aero club guys were also friendly, at Bundy(I go frequently ) they changed code asked the rescue helo pilot no worries,its a farce

• Agree 1

If the area the pilot is flying into has Opal low aromatic fuel in an effort to address issues around petrol sniffing and the trafficking of the desired product, would the pilot rather a) identifying oneself at some personal inconvenience and getting 100LL; or b) only having Opal or walking to choose from?

Ironically the blend for Opal is very similar to 100LL without the TEL and has a very different effect to other inhaled solvents.

Back to the ASIC, never discount employees' desire to ensure their job by appearing useful even if the contrary is true. I got some negative attention at a municipal airport because I had a dog on a lead next to a plane. Once the uniformed employee determined that between us and the dog we had more than one ASIC plus the animal belonged in the plane not in the car we were all square and on our respective ways. The local state police tried the same trick on a different day. We told them they had no jurisdiction on a certified airport no ASIC and were endangering the public by driving a police car on a taxi way without a permit or having gone through any safety training.

Cops were stunned into silence. I think they wanted to toss the plane for naughty items.

When I pulled out my phone and started dialling the number in the ERSA they wished us well and quietly went out the way they came in. Municipal airport has since run safety seminars for Plod and co.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 2

When I pulled out my phone and started dialling the number in the ERSA they wished us well and quietly went out the way they came in. Municipal airport has since run safety seminars for Plod and co.

Ok, I'm curious... what phone number in ERSA did you choose, or was it a random ploy...?

• More 1

I've found AIP GEN 1.6 - 6, 4.3.1

It has a couple "hotline" phone numbers, but the context seems to be for "suspicious activity" reporting against possible terrorist related activities.

I'm not sure that the local plod blundering onto a taxiway is categorised as a potential terror threat 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

...although it certainly does present a safety hazard, especially if their location and presence interferes with normal airfield operations.

• Haha 1

"Yes I have a valid ASIC which was just renewed, like all my previous renewals (three) it was seamless & took about 10 days to receive my new card from the renewal request, why change things if it ain't broken.yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif"

My last renewal was not seamless. I applied as soon as I received the renewal, but the CFI who witnessed the papers forgot to write the little essay on the back of my passport photos. The person who handles these at the RAA office could have phoned me or emailed me to point out the error ( my number and email address appear in three different places on the application ) but instead they simply posted everything back. By the time I managed to track down the CFI again I had lost another two weeks. I ended up being without the ASIC for about 2 months.

As for avoiding security controlled airports, good luck with that. I did a trip from Vic to Queensland last year and EVERY fuel stop on the way up was at a security controlled airport. One of those was totally unattended so there was no-one to ask for the security code so after visiting the terminal to use the toilets I jumped the fence to get back air-side.

Sorry to hear that Peter, the easiest way is using securityid.com.au

Fill out your personal details on their web site & get you documents certified at the post office for $4 then email it all to them.

It's that easy.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1

...... BTW, those saying you get a 10% discount at duty free, you are still paying a premium. Airport duty free in Aus is dearer than at lot of local reatailers even with a 10% discount.

Dont know where you are shopping duty free but it is obviously in the wrong place. I travel allot of international and a majority of duty free is most definitely cheaper than normal retail. I always price check and 8 out of 10 times is is either a little or alot cheaper.

In response to #46 a certified aerodrome airside is not a public place, that's why. The sign on the gate makes that and a few other facts quite clear. If a person thought of it like the council chambers one would understand the state police don't get in there without prior authorisation either. The number I was dialling was the operations manager.

Certified aerodrome. Driving a car on a taxi way with no radio no reason and no authorisation. What would have happened to Joe Public under the same circumstances? Trespassing charges?

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1