Another incident involving Harrison Ford

Just caught part of a news item involving Harrison Ford. He was cleared to land on a runway but landed on the parallel taxiway, passing just above a 737 holding, waiting to line up on the runway Ford had been cleared to land on.

"Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor couldn't confirm that Ford was piloting the Aviat Husky that overflew the Boeing 737, but he said the pilot received and had read back the proper landing instructions."

Report: Harrison Ford has landing scare at California airport

Apparently the Instruction was 20 left. Must have been one wide black strip too far across.

Mind you the lack of numbers, piano keys and other markings should have been a clue. Maybe a case of fixation?

But then I'll admit to landing on one runway with a white cross at the threshold.

Not hard to line up on a taxiway instead of the runway. Got vectored by radar from Central Mangrove to Bankstown in cloud with low base and reduced visibility. Recognised it but there was a "moment" for sure. You fix on it mentally. It's an "Ah That's it" moment. People have lined up on roads also at night confused by the street lights. If the Runway has an ILS you can refer to identify it that but you must know which one of the 2 ILS you have identified and it's only one end of each runway that has it. If it's all unfamiiar to you, the workload gets high. Preparation and planning needed. Nev

He is human after all, none of us are perfect and never will be.

Few years ago he did a great job putting down the Ryan with no options and got out of it with a few scrapes and bruises

This time he had lots of options so he took the taxiway

It happens with a Sh in front of the it

• Agree 4

No piano keys on that runway, runway numbers are white on white concrete going by the Google Earth picture.If this works:

Thanks for that link, Aro. Easy to get confused- plenty of long straight bits of bitumen to choose from.

Exploring the link brings up GE images of different vintage. I guess the runway numbers had been recently been changed (perhaps to alleviate confusion between radio calls for nearby airports, as is proposed for Narromine and Dubbo).

BexI think the Chewbacca (chewing tobacco) he was chewing might have been wintergreen, smells like denco rub so that could have played a part in it lol

Lucky it's a Family rated movie and forum, or else "chewing bacca" could have a different meaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest burgman
It doesn't pay to judge too much. WE weren't there and that's the difference. Nev

Here here - quite right too. How many 'unknowns' like us , have boobed at some time or other, without a comment ... given that - .... did he really get it wrong in the first place ?

Flying's not like driving where you can back up and check a street sign. In some situations it's surprising what little actual info you have to go on. Example misty rain or oil on windscreen or landing into the sun. You have less cues but still make up the picture enough to get the job done . It's desirable to never just rely on ONE instrument without some other confirmation backing it up. Nev

• Informative 1

Anyway,. . .when I met him and Callista on his hired narrowboat near our airfield yonks ago, . . .he was a GREAT BLOKE.

SO. . . that Trumps anything bad you lot say about him ( No Trump Pun intended ). . .Jeeze. . .it comes to a thing when a millionaire movie star can't make a little mistake without having his character shot to bitz. . .065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 1

In the right conditions the "heavy" could look like the Death Star?Sorry..... Frivolous comment but after a hard day rescuing princesses..... ?

Jeeze Frankus. . .I see you live in my old stomping ground - Melbourne ( Cue weird Sci fi music ) . . .I wonder whereabouts ?. . .I was toled not to go to certainlocales in the periphery of that great city as . ..'There be Dragons. . .' . . . ( DId you slay any today I wonder ?. . . [ Rhetorical ] )

Wouldn't you land on a taxiway if your plane had massive tundra tyres? He was probably trying to preserve his rubber.

I'd only land on something that appeared to be clear and flat, with minimal obstructions on the periphery. . . I discovered that this was a good plan, when we had an airline pilots' strike in the early 1990s, and 'Microlights', provided they were radio equipped. . . were allowed to enter Birmingham control Zone and actually land at the airport. The Controllers were NOT on strike, and I found out llater tha they were quite interested and amused by our gaggle of flying lunatics. The landing fee was reduced to a 'Token' fee £10.00 per aircraft, as none of our kites fit into their weight / Charging schedules. . . and there was no handling or parking charge, provided that we left before sundown.

One of our 'Clever' club members,. . . decided that, since he had never landed upon a 'Hard' runway,. . .he would opt for the Grass alongside runway 15L. .

This was a terrible idea at an international airport, as that grass conceals many interesting obstructions. . . . he landed OK, but then struck an electrical supply conduit, which was suspended slightly above ground level, supplying power to the RVR sensors and also some of the lighting. His aircraft cut through and severed that, and the aircraft flipped inverted leaving him hanging in the straps. .

I remember well, one of the maintenance guys walking away from the bent microlight, and the broken Airport infrastructure bits . . . with his head in his hands. . . .that had obviously knackered HIS quiet Sunday. . .

It was made fairly clear following this that we as a Club, were not welcome any more. . ( One of our guys . . .who is a Geordie) , when asked what 'S.A.C. meant, on our flying jackets and plane stickers,. . replied OOh ay Mon, . .we're Soonderland Aero Club Mon '. . I often wondered why the Staffordshire Aero Club never got an invoice for the repairs at Brum Intl.. . .) ..Although we were not evicted Immediately, and stilll had time to have a good look around the deserted airport and negotiate some cheap tucker and drinks from the concessionaires who were panicking about going broke. . .( The Pilots' strike lasted another two days. . . )

One of our wags ( and I dunno how he did this ) bought a carton of fags from the duty free shop telling them that his next landing point would be in Calais. . .

Most of us refused their offer of Avgas,. which they sitill sold, over at the G.A. area, miles away across the other side of the Airport, next door to them dirty 'Cargo Dogs' and their grubby planes and staff covered in grease. . .( ! ) Their Avgas. . .was around three times the price of local airfields. . as one would expect at an International site I guess. . . . ( We still don't have ASIC cards though ! )

Halcyon days. . .No ASIC cards,. . .No terrorists. . . no need for a transponder to enter CA and land at a seriously major airport . . . Eh bah goom. .. yer tell that t't kids of today. . .they wouldn't believe ya. . .

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Have you seen how Ford throws around the Millennium Falcon? Chewie's been through worse.

Very strange you should mention that Marty. . . Wifey and I were invited to a corporate dinner 'Do' last month and there was a guest speaker, who was very good. Oh, the 'Do' was aviation based. btw. . . . They were going to open some Lease / service facility for corporprate Jet aircraft in the uk. . .blah blah. . .this isn;t the point, jus' paintin; yer a mental picture.

Now, after the speakers had finsihed, and we'd had an abosolutely Cracking Top Drawer meal, Silver Service. . .with Champers, the lot. . . We all started having chats amongst ourselves on the various dining tables.. . . . 'Star Wars' came up ( why I didn't clock. . .) and this rather super educated toffie chap said 'It's about time we designed some aircraft like the Malleable fulcrum. . .those types, out of the Earth's atmosphere, could out manouvre ANYTHING. . . Of course,. . .whilst being kicked in the ankle by the Mrs. . .I said,. . .'Erm,. . .whaddyer mean ?. . .' He says,. . .'Isn't it obvious ?' ( in a tone sounding like,. . .you bloody fool. . .don't you know anything. . .? )

He went on. .. Outside the Earth's gravity and atmosphere THERE'S NO GEE FORCE !. . . . . .so you can change direction at will with no problems. . .

On another tack. . .the Boef Wellington was bloody brilliant, cooked to perfection with Sauteed potaoes marmaliaese, a decent vegetable and Canapes A LA Creme to follow. . .and the Cheese board well. . . .this was delightful. . .

Incidentally, the bloody Clot I mentioned above is a 'Senior International Investment Director' for Huge Bank that most of you will have heard of.

Fred Cheek. . .My dear old Metalwork teacher at Grammar School had Much more commonsense education than that . . . . .

Very strange you should mention that Marty. . . Wifey and I were invited to a corporate dinner 'Do' last month and there was a guest speaker, who was very good. Oh, the 'Do' was aviation based. btw. . . . They were going to open some Lease / service facility for corporprate Jet aircraft in the uk. . .blah blah. . .this isn;t the point, jus' paintin; yer a mental picture.Now, after the speakers had finsihed, and we'd had an abosolutely Cracking Top Drawer meal, Silver Service. . .with Champers, the lot. . . We all started having chats amongst ourselves on the various dining tables.. . . . 'Star Wars' came up ( why I didn't clock. . .) and this rather super educated toffie chap said 'It's about time we designed some aircraft like the Malleable fulcrum. . .those types, out of the Earth's atmosphere, could out manouvre ANYTHING. . . Of course,. . .whilst being kicked in the ankle by the Mrs. . .I said,. . .'Erm,. . .whaddyer mean ?. . .' He says,. . .'Isn't it obvious ?' ( in a tone sounding like,. . .you bloody fool. . .don't you know anything. . .? )

He went on. .. Outside the Earth's gravity and atmosphere THERE'S NO GEE FORCE !. . . . . .so you can change direction at will with no problems. . .

On another tack. . .the Boef Wellington was bloody brilliant, cooked to perfection with Sauteed potaoes marmaliaese, a decent vegetable and Canapes A LA Creme to follow. . .and the Cheese board well. . . .this was delightful. . .

Incidentally, the bloody Clot I mentioned above is a 'Senior International Investment Director' for Huge Bank that most of you will have heard of.

Fred Cheek. . .My dear old Metalwork teacher at Grammar School had Much more commonsense education than that . . . . .

He sounds like a real banker.

And damn you to hell for describing that meal, I'm drooling in my vino.

• Haha 1