First Aircraft Purchase - Exciting!!!

scre80

Well I am most likely crazy, but come in just over a week I will be owning my very first aircraft!! Very exciting time. It is a Zodiac 601 HDS.

Can say enough good words for my supportive wife (AKA her permissions)

I am sure people on here understand my excitement!!!

So watch out for one flying around SA soon!!. And hopefully visiting some other states at some stage.

• Like 8
  • Winner 7

When I was a boy I wanted to fly, Getting my licence was a dream come true. Flying my brand new Jabiru from Bundaberg back to Gawler was beyond anything I ever thought possible. Looking forward to eyeballing it when it arrives.

When I was a boy I wanted to fly, Getting my licence was a dream come true. Flying my brand new Jabiru from Bundaberg back to Gawler was beyond anything I ever thought possible. Looking forward to eyeballing it when it arrives.

One day I will do that trip from or to Bundaberg. The aircraft is already at Gawler, you will see it out soon enough!

• Winner 1

Before you give scre80 a heart attack ...

Some 601s certainly had a wing shedding issue and there's plenty to read about it on the net.

I have a friend with a 601 who was very worried when these problems began, to the extent that he traveled to the factory to get some answers. It wasn't easy at the time, they were very tight-lipped about it.

Anyway it ended up that it was the 601XL (IIRC) that had the problem, the 601HD has a different wing construction.

There was/is a mod for the inboard part of the XL wing which should have been done to all of them, to solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

@scre80 congratulations, I know what it is like waiting to receive your aircraft, the excitement the anxiety, the jubilation when it eventually does. Enjoy the moment and no doubt you will be sitting in it before long and enjoying your investment

• Like 1

A person once told me that the two most exciting days in the ownership of an aircraft was the day you bought it and the day that you sold it.

I have been told that too!! but I doubt it. Time will tell

• Agree 2

Scre80 congratulations I remember purchasing my first and only aircraft a couple of years back and flying it home from Albany to Kununurra solo.

I had a grin from ear to ear well done I am sure that you will get many hours of enjoyment flying it and also admiring it and showing it off ✈️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

AN aeroplane an investment? I must have missed something somewhere. It is an opportunity to do what few down through history were able to do. Controlled powered heavier than air flight. Just 120 years ago nobody had done it, regardless of how rich and powerful they were. Nev

• Haha 1

OK, you have convinced me. Owning your own plane gives you control over it's condition. (How it's serviced and looked after. )Try to avoid hangar rash where it's stored. Good luck and happy and safe aviating. Nev

Well I am most likely crazy, but come in just over a week I will be owning my very first aircraft!! Very exciting time. It is a Zodiac 601 HDS.Can say enough good words for my supportive wife (AKA her permissions)

So watch out for one flying around SA soon!!. And hopefully visiting some other states at some stage.

Congratulations scre80, I know exactly how you feel. I just purchased my first plane 2 days ago. A Jabiru LSA 55. I'm currently sitting in Wollongong waiting for the weather to clear so I can fly her back home to Qld. Hoping to begin the journey today. Like you I also can't thank my lovely and supportive wife without whom this would not have been possible.

Cheers, Tony

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Congratulations scre80, I know exactly how you feel. I just purchased my first plane 2 days ago. A Jabiru LSA 55.I'm currently sitting in Wollongong waiting for the weather to clear so I can fly her back home to Qld. Hoping to begin the journey today. Like you I also can't thank my lovely and supportive wife without whom this would not have been possible.

Cheers, Tony

Fantastic, safe travels back. Fortunately for me, mine is already at the airfield, so I have been able to go over it lots and test fly it more than you usually would be able to. Just have to wait 1 more week!!

• Like 1

Goodonya, scre! I hope you have many safe and joyful flights, I`ve just got back from a very pleasant flight in my Drifter...Don`t forget to stop in and say G`Day, if you get up to the Cairns area of Nth Qld.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

congrats scre80, having your own aircraft is something I never thought I could afford - then I found out about Drifters!!!

my lovely missus (46 years married this year) is a long-suffering partner of an aviation tragic - she puts up with all of my airborne foibles - she even came to visit me in hospital when I snapped my leg off paragliding)

she didn't like my low flying over home (rural area, we have 34 acres) and made me put a sticker on the dash of the Drifter - SHOWOFFS DIE - helps to keep my Fun Thoughts in check...

bottom line m8, if you have any concerns, fit a ballistic parachute

cheers, looking forward to seeing you visit The Flying Tigers at Boonah some time in the future!

BP

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, I'm sitting in a motel room in Narromine after an epic flight to finally escape the clutches of the nasty Wollongong weather. 2 friendly and knowledgeable local instructors (Nev and Bruce) from Fly Illawara, and Rose from BOM, gave me some very helpful advice.

Some nasty storms now to the north, but it should be good to make the home run via Warwick tomorrow morning.

Tony

• Like 5

Well, I'm sitting in a motel room in Narromine after an epic flight to finally escape the clutches of the nasty Wollongong weather. 2 friendly and knowledgeable local instructors (Nev and Bruce) from Fly Illawara, and Rose from BOM, gave me some very helpful advice.Some nasty storms now to the north, but it should be good to make the home run via Warwick tomorrow morning.

Tony

Good to hear, safe flying.

• Like 1

Well I am most likely crazy, but come in just over a week I will be owning my very first aircraft!! Very exciting time. It is a Zodiac 601 HDS.Can say enough good words for my supportive wife (AKA her permissions)

Will your wife be flying with you? I know quite a few pilots whose wives don't fly and I think they miss out on sharing their passion and adventures with their partner. My wife flies with me and it means a lot to both of us sharing the experiences.

If your wife is interested, but unsure of small aircraft flying, may I suggest that when you get your confidence flying, pick a nice cool calm morning and take her up for a very short flight. Point out significant landmarks that she would know, but has never seen from above. Then do your bestest landing and check the smile-ometer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I made it back safe and sound yesterday, in my very 1st aircraft! exciting times. She's nicely settled in to her new spot in the hanger. I have to admit, I'm a new convert to Jabs, she handled and performed magnificently for the whole journey from Wollongong to Narromine to Coominya, some 587nm. And it was comfortable!

My wife has been very supportive of of the purchase, but she says she's not keen to fly with me. However, she is keen to see it this afternoon..... there's hope!

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

I made it back safe and sound yesterday, in my very 1st aircraft! exciting times. She's nicely settled in to her new spot in the hanger. I have to admit, I'm a new convert to Jabs, she handled and performed magnificently for the whole journey from Wollongong to Narromine to Coominya, some 587nm. And it was comfortable!My wife has been very supportive of of the purchase, but she says she's not keen to fly with me. However, she is keen to see it this afternoon..... there's hope!

Glad to hear you made it back safely.