Passing a BFR

Im hoping to get some advice about my return to GA and passing a BFR.

Its been close to 15 years since ive last flown an aeroplane as PIC and i would like to know what sort of things i should be looking at to pass a BFR?

Im thinking of getting a VFR Flight Guide to get myself familiar with rules and regs again, is there anything else that i should look at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im hoping to get some advice about my return to GA and passing a BFR.Its been close to 15 years since ive last flown an aeroplane as PIC and i would like to know what sort of things i should be looking at to pass a BFR?

Im thinking of getting a VFR Flight Guide to get myself familiar with rules and regs again, is there anything else that i should look at?

Radio has changed; a loot of procedures have changed;it's a pity CASA couldn't be proactive and introduce an index of changes through the years, which would make currency training a lot less time consuming.

If your school runs night classes, I'd recommend you go through those, because all the training will be based on current regs.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Im hoping to get some advice about my return to GA and passing a BFR. Its been close to 15 years since ive last flown an aeroplane as PIC and i would like to know what sort of things i should be looking at to pass a BFR?

Radio has changed a bit but there are plenty out there that haven't so it won't sound very different. Secondary airports are now class D. If you went flying with an instructor a few times I'm sure you would pick up the changes and get current at the same time.

I've dealt with a few pilots such as yourself who had a gap of many years. Skills in flying the aeroplane (especially if a type previously flown) come back readily. Knowledge refresher you can largely do yourself. There'd be many new things and stuff has changed - your instructor can guide you through this.

I'd start by seeking a suitable instructor and ask him/her to outline a plan tailored for yourself with a guestimate at how many hours and briefings would be anticipated.

Don't regard it as a test - just refresher training to where the instructor can tick the boxes per the checklist in

https://www.casa.gov.au/file/105051/download?token=GCyOaRNt

This stuff is only applicable to the USA but illustrates the sort of things that have changed in this time:

Lapsed Pilots - AOPA

Not sure if I still have some relevant info on my PC for one of my recent lapsed pilots, will check later.

A few things that come to mind are:

Part 61 licensing rules - plenty of guides on CASA's website

Radio calls at non-towered airports - see the two CAAPs in 166 series

Class D instead of GAAP airports

AVID or ASIC

Electronic flight bags - see Avplan or Ozrunways - decide on this early as if you have the hardware then it is worthwhile - will save $$ compared to buying paper ERSA and charts etc. Both have a free trial. Flying school may want you not to use it and instead buy all the documents and paper charts - long discussion perhaps, including flying schools Ops Manuals etc - my view is that you will use it in future so start with it now.

VFR Flight Guide - don't buy it, save your money and read it free online.

Have fun.

• Like 2

The new Part 61 licence will replace your current one. There are also some ICAO compliant procedures that you will be briefed on, and your instructor will have to tick off a lot of boxes related to the flight test itself. Best to talk to an instructor first so you know what to expect.

rgmwa

Ok - last year unless I was on anther planet, I went to a flying school class d - flew an single engine Cessna I had not flow in 25 years.

The flight review consisted of pre flight - taxi out where the instructor did the radio calls anyway, took off, flew around straight and level for 45 mins, nothing else - back into the airport and then did two normal powered landings.

No questions or briefings - the CFI singed off and was paid for an hour and ten mins flying. End of story. Part 61 done.

So please what is everyone going on above here? I do admit it was slack ,and expected of a bit of a challenge and at least one engine failure but that is exactly what it was.

Capt Wally a lot of pilots try to hide some weakness in they flying ability.

You just have to watch some flying clubs and the members to see stark differences of levels of skill and awareness. I know where I have holes. I still use for example the radio the way I learnt 25 years ago or more and is habit and hard to break. But it is not dangerous putting a call sign in one end or the other, as compared to actual hand eye coordination problems for lack of training, practice or currency or just flying through controlled airspace without knowing the changes or procedures for example.

Fully aware of what some pilots are like from Airliners to Ultralights, some shouldn't be in charge of a lawn mower!:-)It's good to self assess, I do it every time I fly & am always learning, sometimes from my own mistakes. It's too easy to get a pilots license I reckon there in lies half the problem.

Yes have maintained as well its way too easy for many years in GA and also specifically in RAA. Specifically when carrying a pax - everyone has the right to do stupid things by themselves - but not with unknowing Pax. However I always get the old - you cant make them do more training hours as its will cost to much and memberships will stop.

So I really enjoy the safety argument - versus cost and how non political correct when it becomes - real hard cash hits the fan.

However, I do like your lawn mower line above - I know a few CFI / instructors that fit that one and yet they let them teach!

I have recently (mid last year anyway) been in exactly the same boat albeit with a 5 year hiatus from flying.

My experience was 2.4 hours of dual time (also decided to move from Piper Warriors to Cessna 172) then a 1.2 hour BFR. This was all with the instructor that took me through to my PPL and he and I have remained good friends so I know he wasn't fleecing me, Ill admit I was rusty on some of my radio calls as like yourself I was now at Class D airfield so a few more calls, plus I had the joys of learning a new aircraft type, I feel this added an hour maybe 1.5 hours to my dual time getting comfortable again.

Don't forget there is a new medical in there as well - worth getting onto that ASAP as getting that back before the BFR is essential, and you'll get a fresh part 61 when you do the required paperwork for the BFR.

Good luck and safe flying

I liked the 1.5 hr 'new A/C type':-) I learned on C150/172 & had never flown a low wing. When I got the chance to hire an old PA28-140 out of a country strip I hadn't eve stepped inside one. The instructor showed me where the fuel selector tap was & how to use it, the fuel pump switch, the manual flap handle then told me the speeds & said go have fun! Ended up buying a 140 years latter, sold it & now only fly conventional U/C machines, much more fun:-):-)

Yeah I agree - not really a type conversion or legally necessary but in my opinion it added time to getting back comfortable being PIC by switching low wing to high wing and different fuel system and slightly differing V speeds, nothing too difficult but I also wanted to get a feel for the Cessna in a stall in all configurations so I had at least felt them in the different type at a safe altitude before I found out how it felt when at 200ft on late final due to my own errors due to not being used to the early stages of the stall!

• Winner 1

Im hoping to get some advice about my return to GA and passing a BFR.Its been close to 15 years since ive last flown an aeroplane as PIC and i would like to know what sort of things i should be looking at to pass a BFR?

I had a break of ten years and had to re-start by doing a BFR (It's now called an AFR by the way!!). It's important to remember that this it is not a test and your instructor is permitted to give you instruction during it. Have you applied for an ASIC or AVID?(Aviation Security Card) this was one of the first questions I was asked as you will need one to go solo although you should be okay dual. Of course, you will also need a medical but again I think you can still do an AFR without it but you would not be able to fly without an instructor.

Swatting up on the VFG is a good start. Every training organization seem to handle the AFR a little differently and it will depend on whether you have a full or restricted license. Another change to the system is if you have a night rating or a Private instrument Rating. They now require separate AFRs each, at least my CFI say's so.

The rest is simply flying...basic maneuvers, forced landing, steep turns ,stalls etc. If you have a full license expect a short nav with a diversion and entry into controlled airspace; so try and bone up on some radio stuff.

You will be amazed how quickly it all comes back!!!. As it's been awhile I'd allow a couple of dual flights before you are done and legal again...Good luck

You are correct it is not a test as such but it is a review & if it's obvious that during the review the driver is unsafe the examiner can refuse to sign you off 'till further training/checking has been done. I think most pilots would know if they are rusty & get some dual before presenting oneself for that AFR. It's all about being prepared, I like the saying "Chance favors the prepared mind":-)

Of course, everything in aviation is about being prepared and it is a review with an instructor (not an examiner or airman) with the aim of refreshing your knowledge and bringing you back to a satisfactory standard. The CARs are quite specific about that :)

... The CARs are quite specific about that :)

its actually in the CASRs now and the text in part 61 is quite different than it was in the CAR so it will be interesting to see the AC when they eventually get around to replacing the existing CAAP.

its actually in the CASRs now and the text in part 61 is quite different than it was in the CAR so it will be interesting to see the AC when they eventually get around to replacing the existing CAAP.

Quite so! the CASRs..What will be interesting to see is if CASA changes the AFR requirements as part of the part 61 review!..Some of these requirements seem IMHO to be unnecessarily stringent. For instance, an AFR conducted for a Private Instrument Rating or a night rating does not count for a VFR AFR. I recently conducted a 2 hour test with an examiner of airman for a GNSS addition to my rating and have been told that did not count as an AFR so I have to do that in addition in a few months!.

• Like 1

They're not happy till you're not happy. Been that way for a while. Logical process development doesn't seem to be a part of it. Stuff just seems to come from nowhere. Change for the sake of being seen to be doing something? No one considers they are an optimally performing show. Too much emphasis on the last "A" of CASA ie Authority.. Fall back... Do it because we have said you will. Too much emphasis on the LEGAL aspect of everything. They have lots of Lawyers who appear to be unduly influencing the way things are done. the legislation they operate under is deficient also. That's the pollies fault, but what would they know and what can they be bothered doing? Chester isn't very Aviation savvy . Aviation is only a small part of the overall portfolio. That's a political decision and a sign of how unimportant non airline aviation is. Shame, because at one time WE had a proud record of achievement in Aviation with good basic standards. The CASA needs a total restructure. Can I see it happening? NO. Hope I'm wrong.....Nev

• Agree 3

Agree completely.

It's no wonder GA is in decline and has been for some time. After 40 years I am close to not bothering myself; only shear bloody mindedness keeps me going.

One of the major problem with aviation in Australia is the lack of advocacy. Unlike America we have no peek body looking after our interests and lobbying the polies. AOPA has largely done nothing that I'm aware of. GA is largely a pain for CASA and they would rather we not be around...and they are winning!

• Agree 1

It is not only aviation that is getting the rough end of the pineapple. You only need to look at how government reacts to anything to see that the Australian voter is there to be shafted. Governments are setting themselves up to make money and if it includes robbing the public, so be it.

just don't do what I did

"well, you failed the test"

"why, I'm still half way through the emergency landing"

"you're landing downwind - you'll end up through the fence at the end of your chosen landing field"

"but - the wind was from the West when we took off..10 minutes ago"

"yes, and the wind is now from the East - look around and you'll see some indicators of that - what about hazards - can you see any?"

"um - yes, the first one I saw is the big windmill on the fenceline..."

"very good - and what do windmills tell you, David?"

"um .................bugger!"

"it's called a Sea Breeze, you goose - see you tomorrow, David"

The message is that each post is a message. Calling one against yourself is a good start. Keep it up. Many think they are the only ones making errors. Those who have never made an error most likely have never made anything. Nev

and my avatar vanished at the same time - what just happened?

Just looked at a backup done early October last year and another one done 2 weeks ago in both of those backups you had zero posts and no avatar in either of them.