Sydney airspace at 01:30 local time.

Probably more for ATC people, but here's a question:

This "morning" at 01:30 local time I woke up and heard a plane flying around.

It came and went a few times and though it didn't bother me, it raised a question:

(I loaded Flightradar24 and looked.)

(Should have taken a screen shot of the flight path to show)

There is a small UNIDENTIFIED aircraft with no call sign flying left/right (East/West) over the city (Sydney)

As far north as the harbour and south to maybe redfern.

West as far as glebe and east to maybe edgecliff.

01:30, not all data is correctly logged in brain{ }.

Ok, there are no arrivals at that time so there isn't any worry on that side of things, but a: No call sign and b: at 01:30

Anyone have any ideas on what was happening?

You know how it is.

You know you shouldn't have flown to work that day, because you've got drinks afterwards, but you did anyway. So at 1am you guiltily crawl into the cockpit and take off. You don't talk to ATC because you're afraid they'll hear the slurring in your words, and then - you can't find your way home so you just keep flying around the city.

Solved!

• Haha 3

I heard it as well, I'm near Haberfield and it felt like it was directly over the top. Saw on an app saying it was a Cessna 206 but that's all. Was up there for about an hour. I saw something like this flying the same area on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago doing steep turns. I thought it was weird since it's restricted airspace and when it went the planes started coming in again for Sydney Airport. Must be some sort of surveillance.

IMG_0501.jpg.2dada1c4f1d1aa659e532f30e1442798.jpg

• Agree 1

There was another strange night flight over the city quite a few years ago. Hardly anyone noticed and it wasn't challenged. It even flew under the Harbour Bridge before heading back out to sea, where five big mother subs were awaiting it's return.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

There was another strange night flight over the city quite a few years ago. Hardly anyone noticed and it wasn't challenged. It even flew under the Harbour Bridge before heading back out to sea, where five big mother subs were awaiting it's return.

Should you put a sarcasm code at the end?

I think your "it's" is a possessive rather than the contraction of "it is", therefore the apostrophe is not appropriate.

097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

• Agree 1