Stats for 2017

According to the Aviation Safety Network for reportable accidents.

We lost 1479 people in aviation related accidents worldwide for 2017.

This includes airlines, military, GA, Helicopters, gyros, ultralights, hang gliders, powered chutes and so on.

We as Australians lost 43 people just like you and me in 2017 doing what we love to do.

Might be useless information to some but counting 30+ pages takes awhile so give me a break if I’m out by a couple for the worldwide count.

Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety WikiBase > Year index > 2017

Cheers

Alf

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

That is remarkably low and would seem to indicate Australia is over represented.By comparison we lost close to the world wide number of aviation deaths on our roads.

Happy

Close to 3% but a lot of countries do not allow private flying you would need to do some extra digging to really see how we rate on a world scale, I would think we would be pretty good in relation to most others.

• Winner 1

That is remarkably low and would seem to indicate Australia is over represented.By comparison we lost close to the world wide number of aviation deaths on our roads.

HF

Yes was low compared to a few years ago when I counted a year.

3500 that year.

I recall this year while going through the pages only one major accident at Myanmar I think which was 122 fatalities

So yes good year if you can call 1479 lives lost, not a good year for the loved ones

Mind you I didn’t count the ground stats in it

One 747 that crashed with 4 crew on board too 35 lives on the ground

HappyClose to 3% but a lot of countries do not allow private flying you would need to do some extra digging to really see how we rate on a world scale, I would think we would be pretty good in relation to most others.

In general 43 is 43 too many take 6 off that NY eve and is 36, still 36 too many

Possibly the most important figure to examine is the number of recreational light aircraft deaths in 2017 in Australia, as compared to previous years - and determine whether the recreational aviation industry is getting safer, worse, or no improvement.

If the former, then CASA and RA-Aus must be on the right track. If it's getting worse, or no improvement, then CASA and RA-Aus have got it all wrong, and a vastly different approach is needed.

• Agree 1

Possibly the most important figure to examine is the number of recreational light aircraft deaths in 2017 in Australia, as compared to previous years - and determine whether the recreational aviation industry is getting safer, worse, or no improvement.If the former, then CASA and RA-Aus must be on the right track. If it's getting worse, or no improvement, then CASA and RA-Aus have got it all wrong, and a vastly different approach is needed.

Yes and no. Even if there is a reduction that does not mean casa and RAAus are right with the changes - basic rule in stats is correlation does not mean causation.

Using stats actually support causation is not a simple thing.

• Agree 2

As often said there are LIES , Damned LIES and STATISTICS. You can interpret nearly anything from stats . You need controls and careful honest analysis .Samples have to be large and there has to be an involved and non involved sample for a comparo. Ethics often come into this. You can't justify ethically not making (denying) a more safe option available to the people involved in the trials. Nev

I’m betting the USA had the most fatal accidents as they have a thing that promotes aviation not like the thing here that wants to destroy it

Our regulator keeps us safer than anywhere else by keeping us out of the sky with an overegulated declining GA industry!!

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

There are a quantity of deaths each year in the USA as a result of vending machine accidents. Common sense can be taught but there will always be a "human element" in both the situation and the system. Both equally irrational.