Dick Smith's proposed changes to Civil Aviation Act

here:

Nocookies

it says:

"Mr Joyce, then the Coalition transport minister, had agreed with Mr Albanese, his Labor counterpart, about removing a key part of the act that requires CASA to “regard safety as the most important consideration” in regulating the industry. Under the changes, CASA would instead be required to prioritise the “highest level of safety in air navigation” with the need for “an efficient and sustainable Australian aviation industry”."

I've written to my MP commending the changes to him, and I suggest we all think about that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

The nocookies link is no good.

Until CASA which is an 'Authority' is re tasked to become an 'Administration' like in the States we have no chance of GA going anywhere but being just a memory in the future!

Link takes you to a paywall. I guess if it was a printed version you'd have to pay for it, but it's a bit much to have to commit to subscription for one article, which may be reported incorrectly anyway. If you do have access to it, (and you're using Windows), you could use the Snipping Tool to copy and post. That's how I get the Guess This Plane photos.

CASA think has invaded the rest of the bureuocracy. Latest is the closing of roads in N Qld with water over them. One politician is reported to have been fined and lost points on his drivers licence for ignoring road closed signs.

The powers that be are saying that the fact that nobody has died proves their closing of roads is working. Of course it is. If they closed all the roads the road toll would be zero.

I hope that this stupidity will at last be brought into the open and done away with.

Guest Guest
CASA think has invaded the rest of the bureuocracy. Latest is the closing of roads in N Qld with water over them. One politician is reported to have been fined and lost points on his drivers licence for ignoring road closed signs.The powers that be are saying that the fact that nobody has died proves their closing of roads is working. Of course it is. If they closed all the roads the road toll would be zero.I hope that this stupidity will at last be brought into the open and done away with.

I like that Yenn but please don't use CASA and common sense in the same paragraph, we don't want to give the authority of stupidity anymore bright ideas!!

Closed road!

If a road has a diversion around the wet bit, IS it closed?.

I was threatened by the police in Tibborburry for traveling from Wanaaring NSW when the road was "Closed in 1/2 a dozen places, all but one signposted,

The road ended at a very large lake with road markers getting shorter as they moved across the lake, then coming up out of the water to go bush at the opposite side (binoculars).

I met the government surveyor who told me to follow his tracks through the bush around the lake to get to Tibborbury..

Then on to Cameron's corner, up the Strzeleci track to Birdsville, turn left over the Red hill across the sand dunes,up the Stuart hwy to Darwin.

fastest way from Sydney, when Earth bound.

spacesailor

CASA think has invaded the rest of the bureuocracy. Latest is the closing of roads in N Qld with water over them. One politician is reported to have been fined and lost points on his drivers licence for ignoring road closed signs.The powers that be are saying that the fact that nobody has died proves their closing of roads is working. Of course it is. If they closed all the roads the road toll would be zero.I hope that this stupidity will at last be brought into the open and done away with.

No planes flying equal no accidents -- SAME AS -- No cars on the road equal no deaths.Well ban everything and rap people in cotton wool. Then they will suffocate in the cotton wool.

Come on people use our head a little we do not need minders at every corner.

KP

The problem is that over the new year period ( I think it was) in the space of about a week 5 or 6 people died when despite warnings they drove through flood waters and were washed away.

Unlike this proven scenario, aviation is actually not having crashes and deaths all over the place.

The problem is that over the new year period ( I think it was) in the space of about a week 5 or 6 people died when despite warnings they drove through flood waters and were washed away.Unlike this proven scenario, aviation is actually not having crashes and deaths all over the place.

And a further thought on the driving through flooded roads issue is that when people do this they endanger other people. Rescue personnel end up being put in the line of danger while trying rescue the idiots.This clearly does not apply to aviation.

Most state governments don't want B-Doubles driving over flooded roads because they churn them up pretty quick, easier to leave them closed

Why not get the rail up and running?Only a bit of planning needed. Australia was developed on rail produce was taken to market as well.

KP

The rail is the cause of some of the flooding. Railways build a big embankment alongside the road, with an occasional bridge. Flood water builds up behind the embankment and covers the road.

The rail is the cause of some of the flooding. Railways build a big embankment alongside the road, with an occasional bridge. Flood water builds up behind the embankment and covers the road.

Although, in the vast majority of cases, flooding is caused by rain or tide or tsunami.

Why not get the rail up and running?Only a bit of planning needed. Australia was developed on rail produce was taken to market as well.KP

The real problem Keith is to get money spent on roads north of Rocky - shades of another organisation based in Canberra.

I know of this farm north of Adelaide where the railway embankment made a dam and they lost their crops. It is hard to fight a government which makes the rules and appoints the judges. No compensation has been paid or admitted to, but the aerial photo says it all.

Not a big percentage of total flooding, but governments using their vast powers to be nasty to ordinary people makes me angry.

Guest Guest
I know of this farm north of Adelaide where the railway embankment made a dam and they lost their crops. It is hard to fight a government which makes the rules and appoints the judges. No compensation has been paid or admitted to, but the aerial photo says it all.Not a big percentage of total flooding, but governments using their vast powers to be nasty to ordinary people makes me angry.

Govts in their wisdom make decisions for the whole state/nation, sometimes there's collateral damage in doing do.

I know of this farm north of Adelaide where the railway embankment made a dam and they lost their crops. It is hard to fight a government which makes the rules and appoints the judges. No compensation has been paid or admitted to, but the aerial photo says it all.Not a big percentage of total flooding, but governments using their vast powers to be nasty to ordinary people makes me angry.

You seem to have a bag of these unfortunates. The law on floods goes back almost to the Magna Carta. If the farmer’s story is correct, the solution may be as simple as writing a letter to the Railway Authority asking them to fix the problem. Flood photos as proof are compelling.

Yep Space, the worst thing our governments have ever done is to send young men to stupid and completely unnecessary deaths in war. Treating some farmers badly pales in comparison.

I wish I lived in the nice world that turbs does.

But there are 2 misconceptions in turb's posting.

The first is that a letter to the rail authority would work. It didn't in this case. The second, is that the farmers are "unfortunates" when they are actually worth millions. But a real stupid way to lose a million is to try and litigate against bottomless pockets like the rail and the government have. Gosh if you win then they just appeal.

Yep Space, the worst thing our governments have ever done is to send young men to stupid and completely unnecessary deaths in war. Treating some farmers badly pales in comparison.I wish I lived in the nice world that turbs does.But there are 2 misconceptions in turb's posting.

The first is that a letter to the rail authority would work. It didn't in this case. The second, is that the farmers are "unfortunates" when they are actually worth millions. But a real stupid way to lose a million is to try and litigate against bottomless pockets like the rail and the government have. Gosh if you win then they just appeal.

I stopped at the first step because there was no evidence that the farmer had done anything other than bleat that he had been screwed.What I said was: "You seem to have a bag of these unfortunates. The law on floods goes back almost to the Magna Carta. If the farmer’s story is correct, the solution may be as simple as writing a letter to the Railway Authority asking them to fix the problem. Flood photos as proof are compelling."

There's still no evidence that he ever did anything to help himself, so it's not a fair example to give other people who may be coming up against a big organisation like CASA etc.

You can check the law in relation to flooding If the case was straightforward and the Rail Authority built an embankment across a waterway (or valley where water can flow in a flood etc), and the farmer's paddocks were flooded as a result, and there are no other issues he didn't raise, I would be very surprised if the authority didn't just rectify the drainage on receipt of a letter which provides evidence of the situation before and after the levee bank.

If that fails, I would be even more surprised if the farmer provided evidence of the breach of the applicable act, and the Minister didn't ensure the Authority fixed it.

If all that fails, then you can look at having a judge decide.

Being a straightforward law and an obvious breach, I wouldn't expect the farmer would have a problem having the issue rectified and covering all his costs including crop failures or de-stocking. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not referring to any specifics at all, BUT:

(a) It really doesn't matter if the Authority has billions if you win your case, BUT:

(b) Over the years, I've read thousands of letters from people with a gripe that don't contain a shred of evidence, and/or which contain a few porks about the facts. (I'm not suggesting your farmer mate was one of these, or they hire a lawyer and tell him nothing other than that he has to win the case, or they will not accept his advice, or do some simply legwork to collect evidence.

The (b) people usually tell the story about deep pockets and bad lawyers.

The problem farmers have with their financial status, is that the land may be worth $2 million dollars, but they have to earn enough money to cover the annual working budget - asset rich but cash poor. Their breakeven point is very high, so a dry year/wet year/poor stock sales can send them under, even if they inherited the farm.

Here's another farm... adjacent to a national park on one paddock.

The government doesn't have to contribute a cent to the cost of the fencing of that boundary. So they don't. There are LAWS to that effect.

AND if one of the trees on their side falls and damages the fence then they don't have to fix the fence, or contribute a cent towards the cost. They also passed laws to that effect.

They have used their unlimited power to be nasty neighbors.

Here's another farm... adjacent to a national park on one paddock.The government doesn't have to contribute a cent to the cost of the fencing of that boundary. So they don't. There are LAWS to that effect.AND if one of the trees on their side falls and damages the fence then they don't have to fix the fence, or contribute a cent towards the cost. They also passed laws to that effect.

They have used their unlimited power to be nasty neighbors.

That’s farming Bruce. Do your own fencing and it will last 40 years, cost is minimal, and you keep stock in and vermin out.