Photo thread for the heck of it

ayavner

Took this one on Saturday.. would love to see this old bird flying again. Been sitting out here in the grass at Bankstown for as long as I can remember (which admittedly isn't as long as I'd like). I had a walkaround and it doesn't appear to be neglected, seems like things may be happening?

Anyway, thought I'd share:

817262728_Photo15-08-201511955pm.jpg.d80eb80cd7290fb56c749c7705d9bf05.jpg

There has been some speculation about the future of The Camden Museum of Aviation in a recently published article.

The museum has received a number of offers of assistance from other aviation organisations, for which we grateful and there has been some discussion about possible directions forward. Some suggestions, such as relocating the collection to another site, have been put forward, but this option is not currently being considered.

Our main focus is to assess, document and preserve the collection as is. Our current plan is to maintain our collection in Narellan! The Camden Museum of Aviation will be temporarily closed for maintenance until further notice — watch this site for details of our re-opening! Until then, enjoy viewing our website and please feel free to contact us if you have any comments or suggestions.

http://www.camdenmuseumofaviation.com.au

VH-DJU.jpg.4449db256d9fff934b2514804d67b65c.jpg

VH-DJU on its' delivery flight to PNG in 1964. I got to fly it in 1967 after it had been bingled, repaired and onsold to StolAir in Port Moresby. My 1st C185, and a very sturdy ship it was too. The cargo pods were standard for all PNG C185s as they allowed you to load lots of small, but heavy, items closer to the CoG. Which allowed us to fill the 3rd row of 'national' seating - with fare paying 'nationals'. After arriving in PNG, it had the cowl flaps extended by several cms to improve engine cooling - which was always a consideration when climbing up to 10,000 ft to clear a gap or weather, or both. We also had 8.00 tyres fitted for PNG as strips were invariably softish. I retain a real love of these aircraft as they demanded a certain amount of skill, and always, constant respect for directional control. happy days,

This is my very 1st twin - a 1966 PA-23-250 Piper Aztec C. It was ferried from the USA direct to PNG where it went on line with StolAir in Port Moresby. In early 1968, after I'd flown the customary 500 hrs PIC on Cessna 185's, I was promoted onto twins with only 800 hrs TT - can you believe that for rapid promotion? My endorsing pilot was Capt Cec Randall, a former TAA Captain with over 18,000 hrs, (and whose disappearance in PNG during 1969 has never been resolved...but that's another story!). The most difficult item with these C models was hot-starting the Lycoming IO-540 engines. We flew with cowl flaps fully open for most of our coastal work because of the short hops involved. That kept the CHT's within bounds. A great load lifter off relatively short strips and an honest 160 kts aircraft. happy days,

763614061_PNG-PA23-250CVHCOOinPortMoresby.jpg.0cba3409445c49c73c25f66821f00e29.jpg

2005300272_VH-COOMy1stTwinEndo.jpg.6305741ed5d18a3fc8898593274c242d.jpg