Flyin Competitions/Games

Doesn`t a fly-in become an airshow when the public is invited to attend?Frank.

I don’t know if it’s that cut and dry.

The old station fly in was a “fly in” for a long time despite open invitation to the public including vintage car clubs, old tractor enthusiasts etc

Then it was suddenly deemed an air show though I don’t think anything actually changed.

They then shut it down ( rumour has it because of the increased restrictions etc by CASA:)and after a couple of years they started it up again and it still goes by the name of a fly in but it has flying displays.

From CASA’s Air Display Manual:

“Organised flying, including cross-country events, contests, exhibitions of flying or local flights made for the purpose of carrying passengers for hire or reward performed at a public gathering.

• Fly-in, Competition or Cross country event:

A gathering of aircraft at an event or competition not on the basis of a general public invitation (A club event where no invitation is made to the general public [[similar clubs or groups exempted]) does not need to apply for an air display approval from CASA.”

• Informative 1

I used to fly from West Maitland to Cooranbong and do joy flights for the RNAC for a whole afternoon if there were enough customers.. It may have had some local notification. Would that fall under the air display provisions? IF so that would seem ridiculous.. Nev

From CASA’s Air Display Manual:• Fly-in, Competition or Cross country event:A gathering of aircraft at an event or competition not on the basis of a general public invitation (A club event where no invitation is made to the general public [[similar clubs or groups exempted]) does not need to apply for an air display approval from CASA.”

Thanks dj! That`s basically how I rembered it! Had quite a few club fly-ins here on our property back in the days of the AUF!

Frank.

• 4 months later...
What a blast it would be, but just you try it in AUS, go on I dare ya!

Love to take you up on that dare BUT would have to be in secret. If it got out, the nanny state would have me locked up in the funny farm for the rest of my natural life. Look at all the regs that are being broken - hight above terrain, aircraft proximity, spectator proximity, noise levels and probably lots more.

An air show is where aircraft put on a flying display. Old Station did have a break from airshows one year, but then went back to annual shows. CASA brought in more and more legislation and one year Old Station airshow was doubtful right up to the last day, as CASA hadn't finished writing the rules, or maybe hadn't worked out what they meant.

The last airshow was organised by the actual airshow pilots, rather than Old Station. Paul Bennet will organise an airshow and get all the approvals and I dare say there are others to do the same.