Pushing Your Weight Around.

farri

Following on from Shafs64`s Thread, "Lowering Your MTOW", lets take a look at ways of not just lowering your MTOW, but trying to keep it down and I don`t mean by adding less fuel or baggage to the aircraft.

The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is to switch my Computer on then go and put the kettle on for my big cup of sweet Coffee (Yeah! I know! not good! but it works for me!), I then come back to the Computer and while having my Coffee I check-out my facebook site and this site!

Once that`s done, I get on my Push-bike ( yes! a couple of weeks ago I bought a Push-bike!) and push my 70kg weight around by cycling down to the far end of my main strip and back, a total of 1.4 km! that`s not far but it`s all grass and at this stage, it`s really taking me some effort, however, it`s got a little easier than when I started! If at the end of the day I`ve still got enough energy left, I do it again!

Over a lifetime, I`ve found that the hardest thing to do is getting out of the comfort zone! By cycling, I`m hoping to be able to maint my 70kg weight, strengthen my legs, help my sore knees, maintain my balance and improve it, something we all need as we get older! My goal is to cycle 3 times a day and continue increasing the distance. 

So! What do you do? Be honest now!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Franco.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 1

Good on you Franko. My other half and I haven't used our bicycles for years, ever since the Kamilaroi Highway has become so busy. It's too damned dangerous for cyclist to be on the roads. Our town has some nice cycleways, but it sure isn't easy for us to get to them.

Labour-saving devices are a big cause of weight gain. My missus does most of our mowing and it's helped her keep fit. Unfortunately she recently got a mower with an engine. That's when the rot set in: she gained three kilos!

• Haha 1

Good on you Franko. My other half and I haven't used our bicycles for years, ever since the Kamilaroi Highway has become so busy. It's too damned dangerous for cyclist to be on the roads. Our town has some nice cycleways, but it sure isn't easy for us to get to them.

Labour-saving devices are a big cause of weight gain. My missus does most of our mowing and it's helped her keep fit. Unfortunately she recently got a mower with an engine. That's when the rot set in: she gained three kilos!

I agree on both counts!  The doctor at the Cairns Skin Cancer Clinic, where I go, told me he rides his push-bike, every day, from Machans Beach to his clinic in Lake street and back home in the evening! I told him he is a very brave man and all he said, "I know! I know! but you are braver than me"  006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

I have close to 3 acres of lawn to mow around the house here! over the weekend I bought a Toro 50 inch cut, zero turn mower but I still do a lot of the cutting around the gardens, with the Victa push mower... I try not to let the rot set in!... I often say to people, " I can still do what I do, because I still do what I do!" 

I often get asked by people I haven't seen for a for a while, " Do you still fly"?... My reply, " Yes I do! it`s the easiest thing I can do, these days!" ... Remember the old saying? " It takes all night to do what I used to do all night"

Franco.

I lost 12 kg with Jenny Craig but had started putting it on again when I lost another 15 kg due to bowel cancer. I got over that and got an all clear from the doc but now I have started putting it on again. The best thing I can do is stay in my workshop all day working on car or motorbike projects then I forget to snack and also I am moving all the time getting down on the floor and under things and so on. Worst thing I can do is stay inside the house.

• Like 1

Mr FV swapped his white sugar for fake sugar (Splenda & Hermesetas) and lost 4kg, cleaned up his fatty liver & high iron stores.  He's now working on reducing the amount of "sugar" in coffee and on Weetbix and taking less on his plate.  Keeping active is the key for both of us.  He's a great advocate for drinking more water, and lots of it - he tells everyone.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

My primary occupation has been Sugar Cane Farming and when I started out 55 years ago, you could be proud to call yourself a Cane Farmer! As the years went on Sugar became a dirty word and I became embarrassed to call myself a Sugar Cane Farmer! Eleven years ago at the age of sixty, I was able to just stop growing Sugar Cane without losing the property and so I did.

I fully accept that Sugar in any form can be extremely bad for many people so for those it`s consumption should be reduced or discontinued altogether, however, there have been several products to try and replace Sugar, that could possibly be carcinogenic so it`s a good idea to get as much information as possible on any Sugar substitute.

Too much sugar is a problem, when it adds extra calories that are not needed.  Particularly in our modern age when we are less active.  Mr FV often says "what's wrong with young people these days ..." (among a litany of other things ..) "they don't eat enough FAT."  I remind him that when he was their age, and eating lard sandwiches, that he milked the cow, chopped the wood, walked his sisters nearly 2 miles over swamp & hills to school where he carted water, chopped wood .... Compare that to the teens who wander from bed to kitchen to car & school room while attached to their screens.  They don't need more fat, they need more exercise.  He chose Splenda because it is made from cane sugar, with less calories. 

Our tastes have been moving towards sweeter food and manufacturers have been adding sugar as a cheap and appealing ingredient.  Remember when Peanut Butter was all peanut?  Now in a Choice taste test, the best ranked were also the highest in sugar & salt.  When we look through his early Ultralight pictures - they were all weeds - you needed to be on the light side to get the Wheeler Scout off the ground.  Now we are looking for increases in MTOW to accommodate our larger frames.

• Winner 1

The problem with sugar is the amount of processed food that contains high levels of it.  "Fast foods", "snack foods", breakfast cereals, most processed foods, all contain added sugar today.

In the "old days" (let's talk the 1930's and 1940's), people consumed sugar - it was a staple, along with flour and tea. 

However, there were no "fast food" stores in that era, breakfast cereals were not processed to the levels they are today, everyone did much more physical work - chopping wood, doing chores - and walking! Gyms didn't exist!! These are a 21st century fad!!

People didn't own cars in the '30's and 40's, in the numbers that exist today. Most people walked, caught buses or rode bikes. There were low levels of "labour-saving" machines. Even washing was often done by hand. 

Look at the films of everyday life from that era. You rarely see fat people. Weight issues are a wealth issue. Get rich, you get fat - and lazy. People are far richer today, than at any time in the 20th century.

The Missus and I went to Broome last Winter for our annual holiday. Now Broome has Cable Beach - where everyone drives their huge 4WD's along the beach. They drive to a spot, get out and barely move more than 50M from their 4WD.

We would park the Hilux in the beach carpark, and walk about 3kms to our selected spot up against the dunes, where we'd walk back and forth to the water - and also walk further along the beach.

The most telling thing we sighted was a couple in their 60's, obviously loaded, with a new 200 series Landcruiser Sahara. They were so fat, they were like inflated dummies inside the 'Cruiser! - and they never even got out of their vehicle!!

I have little doubt they never got out, because just the act of getting in and out of the vehicle, would have been painful and difficult for them.

It was a saddening and worrying sight to see. You just know, these people will be having problems with hips, knees, and body organs such as liver, kidneys and heart - as their fat load is enormous! - and it's killing them!

There's little doubt that your genes have a lot to do with your ability to put on excess fat. If you're that type, weight gain is something you need to concentrate on, for your entire life.

I am very fortunate, as I apparently have inherited good genes, like Frank. At 70, I'm still very fit, in good shape, with no gut or excess fat - and I love sugar! I rarely drink coffee, but I love scoffing around 6 or 8 cups of sweet white tea, a day.

However, I very rarely eat "fast food", I have never eaten the fat on any meat, and I very rarely eat really sugary snacks, such as doughnuts, cakes, lollies, chocolates, or even breakfast cereals.

Breakfast for me is normally just a slice of toast (with real butter) or even just a couple of crostini (mini-toasts) with butter. I usually have another snack bite around morning tea time, with another "cuppa".

I eat a good balanced lunch, with meat, carbs, and vegies or salads, in even proportions. The same for dinner. I love red meat, but I try to get fish a couple of times a week, and I eat home-cooked chicken regularly. 

Here are the secrets to not gaining weight. Minimise or eliminate sauces and gravies from your meals. Ever seen American meals? They are loaded up with a litre of fat-laden gravy or sauce, on every dish!

Pork fat is the worst! - and Americans love pork more than anything! They even have gravy on biscuits for breakfast!! Little wonder the classic American is grossly obese!

Trim the fat from your meat. Heavy fat on meat goes straight to your fat storage areas - your gut, and around your organs.

Then - keep moving! Sitting in a chair or couch for hours, is not good! Walking is the best thing out for moving excess weight off your body! Walk for at least 1/2 hr, morning and night. 45 mins is better. You also get fresh air and mental stimulation, as you walk and see new things.

Finally, do regular labour-intensive work! Despite being retired, I still do substantial amounts of physical work every day in my workshop. Lifting heavy items, squatting, bending, welding, repairing, pulling items off shelves, and replacing them.

Think about the number of times you jump in your vehicle to go somewhere close. Why not walk instead!

Yes, I know, you use the car, because you're short on time! The problem is, if you're seriously overweight - you're on borrowed time, anyway!

• Agree 2
  • Winner 2

Cane farming is a big part of Queensland’s history, and, I believe, its’ largest agricultural crop.  Don’t know many covert red meat farmers. Removing all sugar in food and pharmaceutical production can be technically challenging. We are all a mix of inherited genetics and our environmental factors, there’s is a lot of health mythology, moderation in all things is good.

• Like 1

...Minimise or eliminate sauces and gravies from your meals. Ever seen American meals? They are loaded up with a litre of fat-laden gravy or sauce, on every dish!

Pork fat is the worst! - and Americans love pork more than anything! They even have gravy on biscuits for breakfast!! Little wonder the classic American is grossly obese!

Trim the fat from your meat. Heavy fat on meat goes straight to your fat storage areas - your gut, and around your organs...

All good advice, Onetrack. My wife and I recently experienced meals in America up close. Even when we ordered simple things like eggs on toast, it arrived smothered in some fatty substance, with a layer of fatty bacon (which I hadn't asked for and can't stomach) hiding underneath.

Unfortunately, too many of my countrymen copy the worst of American habits. Huge fatty meals might have been okey in the good old days of hard yakka. Today few of us do enough physical work to burn off those calories.

Australia has led the world in improving people's behaviour with PR campaigns and financial incentives. The country has benefited by huge reductions death and injury from road accidents, smoking, etc. Maybe it's time we taxed sugar and fat.

Of course it won't happen, because the likes of Coca Cola have lots of money to spend on influencing politicians.

• Like 2

It's not the sugar you add to yourself to your daily food intake. It's what the manufacturer puts in that is the hidden poison. You have no control over any of the contents of manufactured food. Sure, there a legal minima for many foods, but manufacturers can get around them somewhat through consumer ignorance. Take these definitions of Processed Cheese in the USA Food and Drug laws.

• Pasteurized process cheese, which is made from one or more cheeses (excluding certain cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese but including American cheese), and which may contain one or more specified "optional ingredients" (includes both dairy and non-dairy items). Moisture not more than 41 percent; fat in the solids, not less than 49 percent.

• Pasteurized process cheese food, which is made from not less than 51 percent by final weight of one or more "optional cheese ingredients" (similar to the cheeses available for pasteurized process cheese), mixed with one or more "optional dairy ingredients" (milk, whey, etc.), and which may contain one or more specified "optional ingredients" (nondairy). Moisture must be <44 percent, and fat content >23 percent.

• Pasteurized process cheese spread, which is made similarly to pasteurized process cheese food but must be spreadable at 70 ° F. Moisture must be between 44-60 percent, and fat content >20 percent

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not maintain a standard of identity for "pasteurized prepared cheese product,. Nor does the FDA maintain a standard of identity for "pasteurized process cheese product" (emphasis on the trailing "Product"), a designation which appears particularly on many American store- and generic-branded singles.  Products labeled as such may use milk protein concentrate (MPC) in the formulation, an ingredient which does not appear in the above FDA definitions. The desire to use inexpensive imported milk protein concentrate is noted as motivation for the introduction of these and similar terms, and for the relabeling of some products.

The only sure way to control added sugar or fat in your diet is to take the time to prepare food yourself. Using basic ingredients and a bit of time (like your grandma did) is a part of the process of shedding weight. There is a financial benefit to making your own meals. Home-made is always cheaper that store-bought. You can use the savings on food to purchase gym time.

• Agree 1

Also, on the monetary side of things, remember that using "unimproved" ingredients (like grandma used to do) immediately gives a 10% reduction in cost your food bill. At least, I'm pretty sure that raw ingredients don't attract GST.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In that case, I'll have to work on my veg garden

• Like 1

The greatest single deleterious ingredient ever invented to add to food in recent times, is "high fructose corn syrup". What is worse, it's not actually corn syrup - it's a highly processed mixture of fructose and glucose, produced by enzymes.

HFCS is a cheap and very easy product to use for manufacturers. Being a liquid, it can be carried around in tankers and pumped into vats of food product, being absorbed instantly. Highly processed foods are all about speed of food production.

HFCS is added to so many processed foods, many of which you wouldn't even imagine, would have additional sweetener added. The thing about HFCS is, it's curiously addictive, despite being just basic sugars.

No-one has ever carried out an intensive, long-term, peer-reviewed study of the pros and cons of HFCS. That's because no-one has ever properly examined the link between the increase in obesity in the Western World in recent decades, and the introduction of HFCS.

20 foods with HFCS added (USA)

10 things I've learned about HFCS - Catherine Saxelby (Australia)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I still believe! "It`s the dose that makes the poison"!

This is not new but it has a lot of information... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obesity-gene-discovery-could-lead-to-new-treatments/

Franco,

Ps, I`ve just finished my cup of Coffee and it`s time to go for my push-bike ride! Back later!!! 002_wave.gif.38b2eb11a61bb4711f0b1477404692bd.gif   

• Like 1

Some points from the link https://foodwatch.com.au/blog/carbs-sugars-and-fibres/item/high-fructose-corn-syrup-hfcs-10-things-i-ve-learned-about-it.html

1.  It comes in huge drums with a minimum order of 20 tons from China for US$480-750 a ton

2. Starting in the 1970s HFCS replaced sugar in the US and other countries where they grow lots and lots of maize. In the US, high fructose corn syrup gradually replaced sucrose from cane sugar. This is because manufacturers needed a cheap, readily available alternative to sugar which was expensive and in short supply due to the US ban on imports from Cuba, which grew most of their sugar cane.

3. HFCS does contribute to added sugars and kilojoules/Calories for no nutritional value and will contribute to weight gain if taken in excess.

Apparently, honey in the USA is more HFCS than pre-digested bee food. With the wonders of globalisation, we are getting more and more foods manufactured overseas by US- owned corporations. I bet they don't alter the recipes for their food products from the American recipe just because the food is made elsewhere. 

Have you noticed that the Australian obesity epidemic had its beginnings in the 1970s with the arrival of American fast food chains? Also, notice how kids in country towns are thinner than city kids. In the cities, the Yummy Mummies pick up their Grubby Bubbies from school in their over-sized SUVs and head straight to Macca's for after-school snacks. No longer do city kids having walked home from school get greeted with refreshments Mum has prepared.

• Agree 1

...In the US, high fructose corn syrup gradually replaced sucrose from cane sugar. This is because manufacturers needed a cheap, readily available alternative to sugar which was expensive and in short supply due to the US ban on imports from Cuba, which grew most of their sugar cane...

So America's obesity epidemic is largely due to their trade embargo on Cuba?

Castro's revenge!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"high fructose corn syrup"

Now added to HONEY.

Cheap Bast,rds.  I love honey, Black instant coffee, with a spoon of honey, that's a good drink.

I keep trying to cut down on my Tea with milk and saccharin.

spacesailor