Another ICON A5 down

RAA and CASA (in GA) decided endorsements weren't needed.

Their idea is, if you'd like to fly a new aircraft, be it a floatplane, seaplance, CS, RG, andything under 5.7 tonnes  MTOW (GA only), be their guest!

It seems a lot of these are being purchased by non pilots with plenty of money. Well it's just a flash fizz boat that flies innit and the cockpit resembles that of a nice car. This guy had absolutely no idea. Circular takeoff, wings wobbling all over the place in a confined area fully stalled with full flap in a turn & the wind looked a bit gusty. It is unclear what direction the wind was coming from but there looked to be plenty of clear water to the right so he chose to takeoff into a bay surrounded by trees. He did almost everything wrong. What a complete dork. I feel sorry for his passenger who was seriously injured. 

This is the 5th incident or accident involving A5s this year & they are just celebrating their 100th sale at US$389,000.00 each.

• Agree 2

RAA and CASA (in GA) decided endorsements weren't needed.

Their idea is, if you'd like to fly a new aircraft, be it a floatplane, seaplance, CS, RG, andything under 5.7 tonnes  MTOW (GA only), be their guest!

Are you reading a different set of rules to me? Here is the list of CASA endorsements:

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/aircraft-design-feature-endorsements

What has been gotten rid of is the type rating... (and quite rightly)

Are you reading a different set of rules to me? Here is the list of CASA endorsements:

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/aircraft-design-feature-endorsements

What has been gotten rid of is the type rating... (and quite rightly)

I was, thanks, pleased to see this.

They are the sort of thing that looks impressive in a magazine or a show room. There was obviously a fair bit of wind if the chop is any indication but flying towards trees is not a good idea. It appeared to have a bit of a load on. Who knows?  At no stage did it look right. Nev

True another guy with too much money and ego with a inverse proportional skill level and

judgement.

But and there always is....

Damn slow to climb and is it just me but I can accept clipping the top of a tree might take a chunk out of the elevator. But to have the entire rear snap off is a big worry. 

They seem to have a very high crash rate and are yet to see many hours in the air.

Now if a tree tip can tear it apart at low speed how would it go with a bird hitting the tail at cruise?

Or after a few dozen rough landings ?

Were they attaching the rear with dollar shop glue?

But yes the pilot is a complete ftruckin numbnuts.

Icon is slashing its workforce by 40%, because they are struggling to sell any serious numbers of the A5, at US$389,000.

It seems pretty obvious the company is only targeting buyers who have more money than they know what to do with.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/august/02/icon-slashes-workforce

It's pretty expensive  but good things are. A "good" GLIDER would cost this figure (as an example). I can't really comment on how good this plane is, as it's not the fault of the plane, we are looking at here..Nev

Facthunter, after a lifetime of buying lots of many costly mechanised items - with some items I've bought, costing up to a million dollars each - I've found that the cost of an item, has little bearing on how good it is.

Mechanised items that are in high demand, and which sell well, do so, because they provide excellent value for money, with outstanding features, coupled with good reliability, and good resale value.

That may be true to a point but also the likelihood of getting the very best at a low Price is very remote. It costs to do things right especially in things like carbon fibre. and with  a relatively low volume products. Mass production permits some things very good and popular to be available to many at very low unit cost and therefore good value. . IF you want to win races you must have the money. (or rig the whole show). Nev

• Like 1