RMP Aviation

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in toowoomba but most of the oldies I know in town are cow cockies from out west or from sydney or melbourne

That's more like it fly, as it happens I come from out west too, and have lived in Sydney and near Melbourne.  Small World.  Where are the cow cockies from out west?

As much as I would hate to be responsible for Thread drift, I wonder if anyone whose home airport is Warwick has bothered to approach the Council to get some clarification of the situation and the particulars of the contract?

Perhaps it might be a job for an enthusiastic young Jimmy Olsen to get the scoop.

• Like 1

As much as I would hate to be responsible for Thread drift, I wonder if anyone whose home airport is Warwick has bothered to approach the Council to get some clarification of the situation and the particulars of the contract?

Perhaps it might be a job for an enthusiastic young Jimmy Olsen to get the scoop.

I haven’t personally but Warwick Flying Club and the local newspaper tried without success. They were just told it was commercial in confidence.

I haven’t personally but Warwick Flying Club and the local newspaper tried without success. They were just told it was commercial in confidence.

That's typical bureaucratic obfuscation that means we could tell you, but then you'd know we're up to no good too early.  After the scam is complete and the perpetrators have left the scene of the crime, then we'll be told when it's too late to do anything.  This is definitely dodgy, but it's small change compared to the big scams Feral and State Govt ministers are pulling.  The NBN is a good example.  $60 Billion, and do you see any real benefit?

The NBN is a good example.  $60 Billion, and do you see any real benefit?

Yes, I do see real benefit from the NBN. I have only had it for about 8 mths, but my internet speed is substantially greater than the ADSL2 copper I had previously.

My landline phone is now bundled free, as its VOIP and included in my NBN plan.

I have a UNI-D VoIP phone with my current FTTC service, but I can go to the superior UNI-V VoIP phone, if I want to run fibre optic cable the last 20M into the house from the footpath.

The NBN phone has substantially greater capabilities than the old copper cable landline.

I no longer have regular phone and computer outages, as Telstra technicians go searching for that infuriating dry joint or other copper cable fault. 

I have a ex-Telstra mate, and he told me about the nightmares they had with dry joints and constant wiring damage - from storms, tree branches, termites, and corrosive environments.

He said he's even had a fault they couldn't find, and while examining the connections in a pillar, a truck rumbled past - and the dry joint fault appeared right in front of them, as the truck vibration worked the joint.

The NBN allows me to stream movies, download large image and video files - and do both on my desktop computer, while SWMBO watches a streaming movie in the lounge room on the TV.

A good internet service is necessary today, as the majority of communication and storage goes online.

I can do major business and legal transactions, scan the documentation and email it, eliminating postage costs and speeding up the process.

The cost of the NBN is not something that is a one-off cost, to be absorbed in one financial year. It's a major infrastructure investment that needs to be amortised over its 50 to 100 year lifespan.

If we didn't go over to fibre optic with the NBN, what was your alternative, low-cost plan? Try to upgrade a copper network that was largely 120 years old?

NBN with a 50 to 100 year lifespan? It will be lucky to last 5 to 10 years. Australia has the slowest fibre network around with a max of 100 megabits/second for private users. In NZ you can get 20 times faster 1Gbps for the same price. 5G wireless is already much faster and potentially has the capacity to run at 20Gbps, 200 times faster. 100 Mbps was good when the NBN was conceived back in the Rudd era. The cost blew out, Turnbull stuffed it up & now it's a white elephant that we are all paying for.

I think that's a particularly negative view. The first installations of the NBN have already been in place for nearly 10 years. Fibre optic has great potential as regards future high speeds, as technology improves.

Wireless has many serious shortcomings. 5G range is only a fraction of 4G, every development of "improved wireless" results in a need for more transmitters and repeaters, as the range shortens with each new development.

Wireless is affected by heavy rain, by other radio-wave interference, by thick vegetation and solid-walled buildings. It's not the complete answer, but it certainly provides a good backup system.

The greatest problem with the NBN is it has been a political football utilised by politicians with no busines nous, who'd go broke running a lolly shop outside a girls school.

Paying $11B to Telstra for their totally-knackered copper network is typical of the inability of these people to conduct business on satisfactory commercial terms.

The champagne glasses are still clinking in Telstra over that massive rort of a win.

It's a disgrace by any measure. IF you are LUCKY you get something good If not it's HELL. Our system is 36 out of 36 in the OECD. You can be without it but the system more and more expects and requires that you can do everything online. Abbot told Turnbull to "destroy" the NBN and it's come close if not completely there. I got back on line late yesterday. Fingers crossed... Nev

• Agree 1

Should have gone wireless.....at least for the bulk of it.

I now use wireless 100% and disconnected the home internet. (Pre paid, so only pay for what I actually use!)

Some years ago I disconnected the home (copper wire) phone as well so truely 100% off cable.

Mobile internet prices are getting cheaper and there is very healthy competition.

On 4G I can stream at least 720p and most times 1080p......

The good thing is that all(?) of this is privately funded.

By the time I'm ready to buy my next phone or tablet 5G will be mainstream. No input by me. No new plans, new connections or other inconvenience....

(Sitting here in remote Coral Bay writing this...on 4g...?)

We are wireless these days and the 4G speed is better at the farm than in the Adelaide suburb.  Sometimes it doesn't work at all in Adelaide until I wander around the house with the mobile hotspot looking for a better signal. The spot changes, which was a mystery to me until I read that they turn off towers when it suits them.

We are wireless these days and the 4G speed is better at the farm than in the Adelaide suburb.  Sometimes it doesn't work at all in Adelaide until I wander around the house with the mobile hotspot looking for a better signal. The spot changes, which was a mystery to me until I read that they turn off towers when it suits them.

when a tower gets overloaded they drop off clients that have access to other towers. your 4G tower out in the sticks probably only has a few passing cars on it most of the time.

I'm on the NBN since 2012 and its a huge step up from the ADSL2 I had before, rock solid for years at a time

• Like 1

Should have gone wireless.....at least for the bulk of it.

I now use wireless 100% and disconnected the home internet. (Pre paid, so only pay for what I actually use!)

Some years ago I disconnected the home (copper wire) phone as well so truely 100% off cable.

Mobile internet prices are getting cheaper and there is very healthy competition.

On 4G I can stream at least 720p and most times 1080p......

The good thing is that all(?) of this is privately funded.

By the time I'm ready to buy my next phone or tablet 5G will be mainstream. No input by me. No new plans, new connections or other inconvenience....

(Sitting here in remote Coral Bay writing this...on 4g...?)

large chunks of the NBN can easily be converted over to 5G, all the basic infrastructure is there, fibre, power and an in street installation

• Like 1

NBN !.

BULLSHEET. MY NBN is COPPER.

Two copper wires to the house & they want $20 more than I pay now,& zero improvement over ADSL

Biggest white elephant, that would go bust as soon as it stops being COMPULSORY.

At the moment I can & have streamed Blue- Ray 3D movie without a second of "WAIT" for the loading.

spacesailor

To answer any question properly, it's necessary to consider things in the broader context.  The NBN has monopolised the internet again in Australia after Telstra lost it when other telcos set up their own networks, whether they were on copper, fibre, wireless, or satellite.  In context, they forced an "upgrade" to internet infrastructure that all ISP's had to use, whether they like it or not.  While the cost isn't prohibitive just yet, any fool can see that when you have no other competitors, the monopoly provider gets fat and lazy, which is exactly why Telstra's monopoly was decimated years ago, but maybe most of you weren't around then.  

Next, the cost was slated by Telstra to be around less than 20 billion, then NBN got the job instead at around 30 Billion, which eventually blew out to 60 Billion, and yet there are people who don't see any problem with that.  As the Oils song went, "Short memory - must have a....  Short memory.... "

• Like 2