Jabiru rescues Rotax plane

You put on some superglue, then sprinkle some baking soda on it quickly, which sets instantly. Shake or blow off the excess powder, add more superglue, and repeat. Build up the thickness and shape you want. It will repair metal, plastic or wood and gives a high strength. As I said, I don’t know how it works. It is probably most useful on plastic, as I have used JB Weld successfully on metal in the past. it would be interesting to hear if anyone has done strength or durability testing on the superglue method. There are many YouTube videos showing applications. BTW I don’t advocate using it on aircraft, but have used it on a car.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I canot believe the BS being written here, the aircraft had a major defect and can only be repaired  IAW manufactures procedures .as per usual here everybody has an opinion  about illegal  repairs an then complain about the authorities wanting to inflict  more regulations .l do know the facts because i am the engineer who said the aircraft could not be flown facts which i will not share on a forum with people in whos aircraft i would not fly in if they are maintained by the metods descibed

Mick W

I do believe all the alternative repaire methods discussed was just a bit of light hearted fun. Was the leak caused by manufacturer defect, FOD, or installation, rubbing, fatigue crack etc.  

• Agree 1

Refer to your own post 40. Certainly reads like you are giving advice. 

Mick W

I was referring to turbo's post about the bush mechanics, I did used the word bush.? To suggest that aircraft should be held together with glue is ludicrous. 

• Like 1

In truth, anyone offering a paid service (LAME) is bound by Australian legal responsibility requirements/standards - no doubt this may/should result in safer flying BUT will also result in higher cost and risk avoidance (by the book) behaviour - just a  human response.

Take the responsibility out of the equation and other (non regulation) fixes may be possible.

• Like 2

Thruster, about the time of the Fokker Friendship, they moved from rivets to glue for metal planes and they had much longer fatigue lives as a result.  Mind you, they didn't call it glueing, they called it  bonding.

And,  wooden and fibreglass planes are glued together. Don't underestimate the stuff if used properly.

There is a sad story about Australian Mosquito planes of WW2. If they only had epoxy glues way back then, all would have been well.

• Winner 1

Dennis, the Orion did a fast beat-up and the wing started to open up . I was there just after that as everyone was talking about it. In the late 80's. The "O" ring was for #2 engine fuel control unit (FCU) Nev

I have made amazing repairs recently with superglue and baking soda...

Supaglu glue has so many uses, even in repairing skin injuries. 

My wife's brother builds exquisite models of RAAF aircraft and uses that concoction to make tiny improvements, like instrument panels, seats and harness.

With all this talk of quick and rough fixes you aren't doing yourselves much good for flying in controlled airspace. Don't shoot me , I'm only the messenger.  and can't we eventually lay to rest all this Jab./Rotax BS ? There's enough damage been done already. . People buy as an act of free choice considering what factors they choose to . IF you regard any engine as foolproof you are wrong and I've tried to point out that things extra to the engine itself can cause issues , and the more extra features you choose to have the more things must be right  . That's just a fact of life as events have proven..Nev

• Agree 2

Dear Nev,

When faced with an emergency (out beyond the black stump) a person should be applauded/commended, for using their initiative and materials on hand, to return home safely.

NOTE that I said safely.

Unfortunately we live in an era of risk aversion, where initiative is often condemned (what you are doing) and adherence to the "party line" /book,  religiously followed - I lament the loss of the "can do attitude" that we Australians were once famous for.

We have turned into a nation of sheep, where even to question the authorities, is seen as heresy.

Our Government is beavering away to quash dissent, punish those that do and you say you are "only the messenger" - methinks a priest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Dear Nev,

When faced with an emergency (out beyond the black stump) a person should be applauded/commended, for using their initiative and materials on hand, to return home safely.

NOTE that I said safely.

Unfortunately we live in an era of risk aversion, where initiative is often condemned (what you are doing) and adherence to the "party line" /book,  religiously followed - I lament the loss of the "can do attitude" that we Australians were once famous for.

We have turned into a nation of sheep, where even to question the authorities, is seen as heresy.

Our Government is beavering away to quash dissent, punish those that do and you say you are "only the messenger" - methinks a priest.

The very unfortuate aspect of this thread is that it has been an attempt by some to sling some mud.

From what I can read, the action taken by the pilot was very sound. The aircraft stayed on the ground at William Creek, the issue was identified, new parts were sourced, flown in and fitted, and the aircraft returned to base.  Nothing wrong with any of that whatsoever.

You go into this country knowing that if you break down it could take a week to get a part up by road, and if you remain calm and wait, you get to continue safely and without any issues.

• Agree 1

It's a vast inhospitable  Hot and dry land  where you can easily perish if you aren't careful and one place where you certainly wouldn't take a KNOWN hazard into the air  for a flight that you don't have to urgently make., It's just an inconvenience and extra cost to get it right,. A bodgy repair in a stranded car bears no resemblance to FLYING a plane and at least you get a bit further down the road without great risk, but that's not the case with a plane. Taking off is  CHOICE , but a landing is mandatory.. There's ENOUGH unknown hazards in the air without TAKING an extra KNOWN hazard with you . Just imagine the anger /resentment when the search party realises you did a "dodgy" non standard repair and had to retrieve you from a trackless remote part of the desert as a consequence.. Nev

• Agree 1

Take it easy, there's by no means an epidemic going on, just one aircraft needing a leak fixed.

Yes, if an engine has a radiator is CAN spring a leak, but then we have 19.5 million cars in Australia right now with radiators.

Yes ancillaries often cause engines to fail.

Yes how one is installed can compromise any engine.

Yes, if you leave the radiator cap off you can compromise the engine.

Yes is you leave the prop bolts loose you can compromise the engine.

Yes if you put diesel in the fuel tak you can compromise the engine.

How far do you want to go with this hypothetical theoryfest?

My bloody BMW has had two radiators and is in the workshop having a coolant leak (and other things) attended to. Lovely to drive but need extra boot space to carry around the emergency maintenance money.

• Haha 1

My bloody BMW has had two radiators and is in the workshop having a coolant leak (and other things) attended to. Lovely to drive but need extra boot space to carry around the emergency maintenance money.

Just as a matter of interest, do you use the indicators?

• Haha 3

Just as a matter of interest, do you use the indicators?

Left, right and hazard...also the little ones on the instrument panel that regularly tell me something else has broken.

Radiator is cross-flow aluminium with welded plastic header on the side and this is where the problems occur.

kaz

The very unfortuate aspect of this thread is that it has been an attempt by some to sling some mud.

From what I can read, the action taken by the pilot was very sound. The aircraft stayed on the ground at William Creek, the issue was identified, new parts were sourced, flown in and fitted, and the aircraft returned to base.  Nothing wrong with any of that whatsoever.

You go into this country knowing that if you break down it could take a week to get a part up by road, and if you remain calm and wait, you get to continue safely and without any issues.

Cup half full = valid cup half empty. Where do you fit???

No criticism of that William Creek plane and the actions of the pilot etc  from me, but I can think of situations where things would not be so clear-cut.

For example, suppose head winds and a change of plans put it a few minutes over the 100 hours service due time,  plus legally allowed leeway?

Personally, I would  recommend to just change the oil and fly it home. Surely nobody would ground the plane and pay thousands for the legally-allowed guy to fly out and do a service?

Of course you can invoke all sorts of risks taken by doing this. 

No criticism of that William Creek plane and the actions of the pilot etc  from me, but I can think of situations where things would not be so clear-cut.

For example, suppose head winds and a change of plans put it a few minutes over the 100 hours service due time,  plus legally allowed leeway?

Personally, I would  recommend to just change the oil and fly it home. Surely nobody would ground the plane and pay thousands for the legally-allowed guy to fly out and do a service?

Of course you can invoke all sorts of risks taken by doing this. 

A cup half full sort of observation - thank you for restoring my faith in human nature.

A cup half full sort of observation - thank you for restoring my faith in human nature.

What on earth are you trying to get at?

You're agreeing the pilot did everything correctly, but he and anyone else are a cup half empty and have destroyed your faith in human nature?