RAAus statistics

Thruster88

I’m not surprised at the RAA figures because they match what I’m seeing out and about. One Moorabbin based flying school has over 30 Foxbat/Vixen on the line and that may be more than Bob Stillwell’s Civil training fleet from the GA heyday.  Lot of training = more average hours per aircraft also. RAA May have started to shift from owner/operators to the more conventional aircraft hire. For these people around an hour a week is the most they can afford/make time for.

So this operator has produced 63? CPL x 200 hours  each = 12,000 hours. Even with only a 20% success rate not many hours over a few years ? 

So this operator has produced 63? CPL x 200 hours  each = 12,000 hours. Even with only a 20% success rate not many hours over a few years ? 

12,000 hours divided by five years divided by 40 aircraft is 60 hours per aircraft per year, 80 hours for 30 aircraft, so pretty much in the ballpark for Moorabbin.

Since 1 January 2019 RAAus pilots have recorded in their portal that they have flown 701498.4 hours, averaging 73.46 hours each.

Your average flying hours per year over the past five years is 26.

You are an integral part of the 13095 strong RAAus community.

There are currently 3294 active aircraft in the RAAus fleet

Over 700,000 hours with two months to go, awesome year ? 

Well,  you boys must have racked up all those flying hours without me...! Im still on 'zero', despite repeated attempts to edit my own hours online... But happily Im still an 'integral part of the community'. Its good to feel loved...

Since 1 January 2019 RAAus pilots have recorded in their portal that they have flown 701530.1 hours, averaging 73.46 hours each.

Your average flying hours per year over the past five years is 0.

You are an integral part of the 13096 strong RAAus community.

There are currently 3294 active aircraft in the RAAus fleet

Could this possibly be true? Just out of interest, how many forum participants think they have flown over 70 hours since January?  I obviously haven't. See above. 

Alan

No

Glad I'm not the only one questioning these figures.

They'd mean the average RA Aus member has flown seven hours a month, every month since January. Obviously flight instructors will pull the average up a bit,  but I find it a stretch to accept that rank and file members will achieve anything like that. Given that only a third of pilots own their own aircraft and an aircraft hires for about $200/hour wet (is that right?  just my guess) are they saying that 8000 of our members are able to spend $1400 on aircraft rental every month? If so, I don't just envy all the flying hours the rest of you blokes are doing, I envy your wealth....

That would run to  about $11 million bucks, quite a boost to the recreational aviation industry!

So who is putting out these figures? Are they really helpful to our sector and industry? For example,  if they are using these same figures to calculate  flight safety (accidents per hours flown), wouldn't that be misleading and potentially misrepresent our safety record?

Just asking

Alan

See my post No 2.  I fly regularly & fly around 50 hours/year. Of the 30 or so aircraft based at our aerodrome about 10 don't see the light of day, 10 fly 2 to 10 times a year, probably clocking up 20 hours among them for an average of 2 hours a year and the others clock up 10 to 60 hours a year. The exception is the FTF Jabiru that would be well in excess of 200 hours a year. Now see post 28 & my response in post 29.

Could this possibly be true? Just out of interest, how many forum participants think they have flown over 70 hours since January?  I obviously haven't. See above

Yeah, I probably have. 80 to 100 per year on average.

However, how many hours I do is none of the RAA's business.?

• Agree 1

I’m not surprised at the RAA figures because they match what I’m seeing out and about. One Moorabbin based flying school has over 30 Foxbat/Vixen on the line and that may be more than Bob Stillwell’s Civil training fleet from the GA heyday.  Lot of training = more average hours per aircraft also. RAA May have started to shift from owner/operators to the more conventional aircraft hire. For these people around an hour a week is the most they can afford/make time for.

The fleet you speak of has 37 of their 44 aircraft VH registered. My local aero club Cowra has a nice Brumby available for hire at a good rate, only gets about 200 hours per year even with flying training.

• Agree 1

how many forum participants think they have flown over 70 hours since January? 

I can speak for two of us that fly about double their quoted average, but I don't know of any others aside from a local instructor that would that would.

• 1 month later...

The last day of 2019. This is the page that you see when logging in to Raaus, the front door of the business if you like. The numbers have fluctuated widely over the year. If an instrument in our aircraft did this we would get it repaired. 

20191231_100758.thumb.jpg.94b346cda24bcbf15788b485a1d94405.jpg

Happy New year to all recreational flyers. 

• Like 1

Due instructing in both RAAus & GA, I have to keep a 'time & duty' record, so am able to split my flying up, and the results are interesting:

Brumby owned since March 2015, and has flown 825 hrs, almost all of which has been instruction. However, I only have the school operating about 9 months of the year, so the monthly total is a little better than the annual hrs suggest. In 2019, I only instructed for 6 months.

In past 13 years, I have personally averaged 270 hrs TT per year, and that takes into account the low 160hrs flown in 2019.  Of this 270 hrs, only 83 hrs pa has been RAAus instruction, with the bulk of the balance being in GA instruction. Almost all of the GA instruction has been in RV transition training, in RV formation instruction, and a % in low level rating training and checks, and a small % in GA BFRs.  Without the income from the GA activities, I doubt I could pay my hangar lease from RAAus flying alone. I don't think other small country flying schools are doing that well either.

Like many others, I have difficulties with the RAAus records system, which I think could be better split. Considering my difficulties with it, in no way do I believe the numbers being quoted.  Creative accounting?

happy days,

• Like 1

Bad year for me only 72 hours this year, mind you I work away 6 months of the year and only get to fly on weekends when I’m home because of the RAAF being active week days. Also did a trip to the USA for 3 weeks and a 2 week tour of Tassie in the caravan so all is not lost, still averaging 100 a year since I started flying again 15 and a bit years ago.

• Like 1

The last day of 2019. This is the page that you see when logging in to Raaus, the front door of the business if you like. The numbers have fluctuated widely over the year. If an instrument in our aircraft did this we would get it repaired. 

[ATTACH]42807[/ATTACH]

Happy New year to all recreational flyers. 

In the December 2019 RAAus E-News Issue 64, the RAAus CEO wrote  "I’d also like to thank our staff who have done a wonderful job again this year as we work with our 11,000 strong community".  Does anyone actually know what the exact RAAus membership total is?  And has RAAus removed from the membership total, those people who are no longer financial/current members of RAAus, and also those that are deceased, either from accidents or natural causes?  The mis-match of statistics, etc. plays a part in the credibility of the RAAus and its members.  Cheers