W10 Tailwind EFATO accident • NZ (video)

Partial engine failures we are told can be the worst kind. When the engine came back (fuel flow ?)to much power was used. Maybe not the best field for a first flight.

Pukekohe East Airfield: Private airfield 40 miles south of West Auckland at S37º 11.26' E174º 56.6'. This is a one-way strip with quite heavy local traffic. From unconfirmed Google earth measurements the runway is 500m long aligned 07/25 with all landings uphill to the East on 07 which rises from 400ft to 480ft, a 5% slope, and the takeoffs downhill to the West on 25. Avgas on BP swipecard. Contact: Dave

Normally hitting the fence at high speed at the other end is not a great problem as long as you get it on the ground and wash off most of the speed.. If you still have flying speed, the aerodrome wasn't much use to you. Nev

• Like 1

A full forward slip like the guy's use in stol drags may have saved the day. Wind sock showed  a very light cross wind and there is the 5% up slope helping. Perhaps slips are not permitted on that type.

• Like 1

He was honking. Listed stall speed is 43 knots clean & 39 knots full flap. Flaps weren't deployed. The wind was negligible so was not a factor. Probably the initial touch was around 50 knots & half way up the runway.

• Like 1

A full forward slip like the guy's use in stol drags may have saved the day. Wind sock showed  a very light cross wind and there is the 5% up slope helping. Perhaps slips are not permitted on that type.

Don't know what a forward slip is, it's just a side slip either side. All very easy to criticise, sitting in it is a different thing to keyboard commentating.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There is an error in my post. Women also compet in high end stol drags.

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

That's just a sideslip, that's what they were known as in the olden days. I did read description in the wikithang, news to me. The half a dozen instructors I've flown with just called them sideslips, that was a few years ago though.

• Informative 1

That's just a sideslip, that's what they were known as in the olden days. I did read description in the wikithang, news to me. The half a dozen instructors I've flown with just called them sideslips, that was a few years ago though.

It's a sideslip in my book. You are always going forward or should be. Maybe it's just semantics. I don't care. I'm not changing my mind as to what I call it.

And yes Guys & Gals. It is all inclusive these days. Guys means male or female BUT Gals still means female. Why? Don't ask me and anyway I don't want to know even if there is an explanation.

• Like 2

Hey -what does this tell  us about ‘never turn back below 500 ft’ after EFATO? 

To my eyes  he would have got back in after that steep turn, or was that because he still had partial power? 

Alan.

These days guys includes women in ordinary conversation.

And yes Guys & Gals. It is all inclusive these days.

Been used since I was a teenager (late 1970's), and used by our girlfreinds in our social group. We at first critisised them for the 'American' term.

This is a bit of a different kettle of fish - the failure is at low level cruise rather than take-off.

But still, these caught-in-the-act videos are good lessons on just how quickly things happen at that height; on the need of getting that nose down now (especially with flying-garden-furniture types) even before we set about pondering, at a good few seconds length, the sheer impossibility that this is really happening; and on just how soon needs-must returns us to mother earth - somewhere, somehow - when the great silence descends.

Pilot did everything right, airspeed was good and high, he just forgot to flair. A Thruster may have handled that abuse because all the tubes are straight, not pre bent at the factory.    

• Agree 1