VH Incident in NZ

Sad to see a C185 like this, they are a very capable plane. The witness said it was very nose low and bounced, but the prop appears to be relatively unscathed. It should have been in a nose high attitude for landing. Was the engine running?

Another explanation is doing a relatively, (read too), fast 'wheeler' which lead into a small bounce, which the pilot then tried to recover by pushing forward on the elevators.   The result of this is usually a larger bounce, from which you must recover by either (1) going round, or  (2) converting the landing into a 3 pointer by allowing it to float and assume the 3 pt attitude as the speed washes off.

The only reliable way to wheel a 185 is to set slightly nose down trim, then as you make the very abbreviated flare, and as the mains touch you relax the back pressure and the 185 will pin itself on.  This I learnt from my aggie training pilot at Max Hazeltons in 1971 where we were using c180s for supering.

Trying to 'pin' a 180 or 185 on using elevators more often than not causes a massive PIO.

I'll bet it's not the 1st rebuild in its' logbook!

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Just a little wobble on the gear, that will bend out.....

Bit of spit and polish and all be sweet. Might need a iron for the wing though.

Tough little bugger that model. And it will bugger those who do not  treat it with respect.

That 185 appears to have had a chequered history with at least 3 crashes based on the photos above. Conditions were fine and calm. Motueka aerodrome is 38 feet amsl with 725 metres of sealed runway & 785 metres of grass. I've been there several times in a 172 & PA28 Archer II. He obviously chose the grass. The threshold of 02 is 6 feet higher than 20 so basically flat. There used to be lots of meat bombers & helicopter training there. Don't know if that is still the case but landing should have been a doddle. No obstacles, just the ground.

Undercarriages have been known to fail on these when fatigued, but this one's bent and the plane's gone right over and impacted on the tail. Not that hard, as the fuselage doesn't appear creased, so it's arrived (Maybe after a bounce) nose down enough to damage the lower part of the cowl and the spinner and spread the undercarriage, dig in a bit and flop over. It's certainly managed to stop in a short distance. I can't understand how the prop didn't get at least one blade bent back. Most people "wheel" these on these days and pin them with on  a slight forward movement of the wheel. It's got a known springy U/C that will fling you back into the air if you store energy in it by dropping it on.  They will 3 point. which I'm more used to, but you can't see much to the front  in that attitude. You don't really need to once you are OK with looking out the sides.. Good versatile aeroplane.  Nev

Originally I asked was the engine running? If you bounce a taildragger you usually hit the prop at the third bounce, sometimes the second. The prop looks as if it is undamaged, so I doubt it was turning. Maybe the landing was misjudged due to the engine stopping. It certainly wasn't turning when the lower cowl was damaged.

• Agree 1

Originally I asked was the engine running? If you bounce a taildragger you usually hit the prop at the third bounce, sometimes the second. The prop looks as if it is undamaged, so I doubt it was turning. Maybe the landing was misjudged due to the engine stopping. It certainly wasn't turning when the lower cowl was damaged.

Yoo an experienced bouncer Yen?

• Haha 2

I have done a few, but learnt more from watching others. Now I have trouble landing nose wheel aircraft, when I bring them in with the nose in the air which is how I land my planes, it seems to un nerve the instructors. Trouble is I get un nerved by sitting beside a nose wheel pilot coming in to land at a high speed and with no nose up attitude.