Science V Doctrine

South African or Perennial Veldt Grass was introduced to W.A. in the era of lax bio-security, as a drought-proof forage grass, with the additional benefit of erosion control.

It has ended up as an invasive and constantly-spreading pest, choking out other good local plants and grasses.

We did have some success with an import - dung beetles. But the dung beetles were carefully checked and tested for adverse impact, and were not released in the wild until no adverse impacts were found.

The little dung beetles have worked wonders in our soils, and reduced the fly pest as well.

https://csiropedia.csiro.au/dung-beetle-program/

• Like 1

South African or Perennial Veldt Grass was introduced to W.A. in the era of lax bio-security, as a drought-proof forage grass, with the additional benefit of erosion control.

It has ended up as an invasive and constantly-spreading pest, choking out other good local plants and grasses.

We did have some success with an import - dung beetles. But the dung beetles were carefully checked and tested for adverse impact, and were not released in the wild until no adverse impacts were found.

The little dung beetles have worked wonders in our soils, and reduced the fly pest as well.

https://csiropedia.csiro.au/dung-beetle-program/

Yes the dung beetle is an interesting case.  Before I moved down to Melbourne I lived on a property between Canberra and the coast and most of my neighbors and friends were retired CSIRO. The woman on the next property has done a lot of the research regarding the dung beetle.

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/2000952540_Marina_Tyndale-Biscoe 

• Informative 1

Science is definitely fallible (usually as a result of human failing) but which would you bet on doctrine or science ??

In my world, doctrine is the story handed down to the faithful - could be politics, religion or a combination of both. It can be true or false or again a bit of both (always a good ploy). What distinguishes doctrine, is it is handed down as the truth, without  factual evidence and is accepted and regurgitated by the faithful as the only truth, usually vigorously (sometimes violently) defended against naysayers/heretics/questioner's in general. I see propaganda as doctrine - it is an attempt to persuade the population of  the "rightness"  of the Government' position (whatever the subject) usually so that Government can pursue some doubtful agenda(s) with the support (or at least without resistance) of the population.

Hahahaha sounds like most religions to me....Governments can be overthrown by either the ballot box or some sort of public uprising but religions just seem to always weazel their way though the generations. oh and usually tax free

Hahahaha sounds like most religions to me....Governments can be overthrown by either the ballot box or some sort of public uprising but religions just seem to always weazel their way though the generations. oh and usually tax free

Be careful what you laugh at  - both politics & religion are staffed by people who believe they are on some sort of mission to lead the great unwashed to enlightenment. Both use similar tactics/psychology to bind the faithful & convert the unbeliever to their cause. Both seek control over as much of your life as they can possibly get away with. What's it all for  - in my opinion, the exercise of power.

• Agree 1

Religion is all about power of the people...Political parties learnt it from them...both want the plebs not to think for themselves....oh and raid the peoples pockets too just for good measure

Does this make me an agnostic??????   ?  :cops:

• Like 2

No it just makes you intelligent.

Some very intelligent people are into religion /politics, big time! Perhaps they are attracted by the power & benefits of belonging to such clubs. It probably says more about psychosis than it does about intelligence as such.

With religion - it cleverly address many of the visceral fears that we all have, codifies morality & ethics,  may also shift responsibility for the sames, so we dont have to think for ourselves  - all very comforting for many,  irrespective of intelligence.