Journalists ID of aircraft

Naaa! As an expert journalists, who has exhaustively researched the field of aircraft identification , I have it on good authority (wishes to remain anonymous) that they are all Cessna's

19 minutes ago, RossK said:

Off the top of my head

Volvo,

Scania

Mercedes

Bedford

Volgren

Man

What do I win 🙂

For getting just one? Volgren. The rest all make bus chassis.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Well Volvo have a 50% ownership with Grenda. but the company is a body builder.

Oh dear, keep trying

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Well I was aiming this exercise for people who thought all buses were the same, but tell me and we'll get yours out of the way.

Googled after my post.

Volvo, make complete buses at various sites

Scania - JV with Higer in Suzhou 

Mercedes , make complete buses at various sites

Bedford - Ok this was a guess, I don't think they make buses anymore, but used to make complete buses in Dunstable UK

Volgren - make buses in Australia (yay) from various chassis, not affiliated with Volvo since 1987

Man - make buses in Turkey and Poland

All of these except Volgren do sell chassis to other Coach Body Builders.

I can't say I have "industry knowledge" - but I've ridden in a lot of buses! - starting with O series Bedfords and graduating to '42 Chevs! - then AEC Regals, Leyland Panthers, Guys, Albions - the list goes on!

My favourites have to be the half-cab Guys, AEC's, Albions and Leylands. The Comeng buses and coaches are still an outstanding product, IMO. 

Off the top of my head ...

Volgren

Denning

Express Coach Builders

TOST

ABLE

P & D

There's probably quite a few more, if one really went searching, a rather surprising fact when you consider the pressure from European and Chinese coach builders.

Edited by onetrack

18 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Well Volvo have a 50% ownership with Grenda. but the company is a body builder.

They make muscle-bound buses that like to drive past mirrors???

1 hour ago, IBob said:

They make muscle-bound buses that like to drive past mirrors???

Good point; everyone knows what a body builder is don't they they build truck bodiesamd include semi trailer and bus manufacturers, all  part of the Second Manufacturing sector of the Transport Industry.

The purpose of my question was to show that no journalist ever covers enough breadth of news to have the detailed knowledge which sometimes take years to acquire. 

In the Australian bus industry's current Australian fleet there are approximately 30 different makes, some making school buses, some route buses, some charter buses and some coaches. The second manufacturers usually buy in bus or coach chassis to suit the application and power requirement will vary by hundreds of kilowatts. As Ross K pointed out, in some parts of the world where the volume is big enough a chassis company may set up a bus plant. 

Coach builders grind their teeth and make comments just like the ones in this thread belittling journalists who write that a "bus crashed 15 km south of Tamworth this morning", but the journalist, who is being briefed by the local police sergeant just sees what the general public sees, a bus.

Same goes for the bee industry, and a hundred other industries, so journalists, who these days usually complete a five year Uni course are never going to do another five years of cramming to know that a Mazda 323 Phase 3 with the bigger wheels was hit by a Kenworth W923 with six rod suspension pulling a PBS six axle trailer.

30 minutes ago, tillmanr said:

And so they should not try to name the brand of aircraft/truck/bus/mazda if they DONT know the facts.

Yes, good point; that would stop a lot of the angst.

A lot of journalists information comes directly from the police reports and information, and a lot of police are pretty dumb as regards technical details of items involved in incidents.

But the part that gets me is when people are employed to sell items and provide a good technical description along with the job - when a very large percentage of those people today don't even know what they're looking at, and can't even spell properly, when it comes to written descriptions.

Auction houses, real estate agents, brokers, and even machinery and equipment salespeople, all fall into this description. We've got one real estate agent locally, who can't even spell street names correctly, let alone provide a coherent, well-written description of the property.

27 minutes ago, onetrack said:

A lot of journalists information comes directly from the police reports and information, and a lot of police are pretty dumb as regards technical details of items involved in incidents.

But the part that gets me is when people are employed to sell items and provide a good technical description along with the job - when a very large percentage of those people today don't even know what they're looking at, and can't even spell properly, when it comes to written descriptions.

Auction houses, real estate agents, brokers, and even machinery and equipment salespeople, all fall into this description. We've got one real estate agent locally, who can't even spell street names correctly, let alone provide a coherent, well-written description of the property.

.........which is why those sales people rely on mobile phones so the lack of spelling doesn't show.

• Like 1

In defence of the dyslexic - I agree that when making a technical report, accuracy is paramount, however even more important is the transmission of the message (communication) which does not always require the best spelling (much to the distress of the pedants)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

In defence of the dyslexic - I agree that when making a technical report, accuracy is paramount, however even more important is the transmission of the message (communication) which does not always require the best spelling (much to the distress of the pedants)

Well you're now crossing over into reasonable behaviour, where it's accepted that sometimes we have to let off a journalist that a crow attacked a 49 year old woman in Condobolin when she was waking out to collect her mail, when we all know it was an Australian Raven.

• Haha 1