Unleaded fuel at airfields

JG3

Has anyone compiled a list of airfields that now supply unleaded fuel on site??

I only know of Goolwa, Gympie, and possibly Leongatha......

Any others that fliers know about??

JG

Any aerodrome that has a website would tell you what fuel is available there currently.. You'd normally check that before going there . 2 strokes always had more difficulty when Pre mix was common the weight of the normal fuel container was too much. I've seen wine cask liners used to go to town and fill up. Nev

Would be great to have Mogas at more airports or rather, small airfields with RA aircraft operations. Rotax discourage Avgas usage, because of led affecting the gearbox, and leaving led sludge in the oil. I hevesen on occasion led globules closing up plug gaps causing a misfire on Lycomings/Continentals (can clear sometimes by running at high power), but never heard of any other problems like oil sludge with regular aero engines? Another question, topping up your tanks (Mogas) with Avgas, to make it home, I guess that should not be a big issue?

2 hours ago, F10 said:

...Another question, topping up your tanks (Mogas) with Avgas, to make it home, I guess that should not be a big issue?

In the last few years this site has hosted lots of discussions on fuel types and some of our more knowledgeable contributors have pointed out the quite different chemistries of AvGas and MoGas. Some have warned against running a “shandy”.

I’ve recently switched to car fuel, so keep 100LL in the RH wing tank and Shell 98 in the left.
The original plan was to start and takeoff on AvGas and swap tanks for cruise, but since Covid, I haven’t had anywhere to cruise to, so that AvGas tank hasn’t been topped up for a year or more.

Rotax “accepts” the use of Decalin Runup additive with Avgas. It makes the lead form a powdery compound in the combustion chamber that mostly gets blown out the exhaust rather than ending up in the oil as lead globules. I say “accepts” because Rotax hasn’t tested the stuff itself.

Just seems strange with so many LSA/RA aircraft using Mogas, it’s still so rare at some smaller airports. As a bonus, club members could even be buying more, to fill their cars!

• Like 1

F10 its not that simple at all. I am on the committee at YCAB and there are so many hoops to jump through. Not just the enviromental and safety also council lease agreements and covenants. Then there are the rules from the fuel suppliers and the different structures they require depending on what sort of service you want. I thought it would have been a relatively simple task but it is not. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

F10 its not that simple at all. I am on the committee at YCAB and there are so many hoops to jump through. Not just the enviromental and safety also council lease agreements and covenants. Then there are the rules from the fuel suppliers and the different structures they require depending on what sort of service you want. I thought it would have been a relatively simple task but it is not. 

Yes I know it was easier to organise the Normandy Landings, then get an airfield fuel installation approved and installed. Which is the world we live in today sadly. We’ve just had one installed in Yarram, with a large chopper pad right next to it, but I’m not convinced the fuel hose will reach a helicopter like an A139, parked at centre pad.....I just find it a pity it can’t be used by the majority of aircraft hangared at the field. But, it’s still good to have at the end of the day. 

<Any aerodrome that has a website would tell you what fuel is available there currently.. You'd normally check that before going there>

Of course I already know that, having landed at more than one hundred airfields in my flying travels over 30 years.

I just want a list of airfields that do provide mogas to aid in my flight planning.

I note that neither Goolwa nor Serpentine are noted in ERSA that they do have mogas available. 

I understand that ERSA often takes ages to update, so I seek a more current list.

I also note that Leogatha is not listed in ERSA as providing mogas, even tho I have fueled with mogas there a couple of times in years past. I understand that it's provided by the local flying school as a private service so not publicized, but it sure would be handy to know that availability.

The only airfield that I know of with mogas that is listed so in ERSA is Gympie.

I realize that it's very difficult to arrange mogas on airfields, not least because distributors panic at the mention of aviation using mogas in aircraft..... We all use it constantly for good reason in Rotax aircraft, obtained from ordinary auto service stations. I now have more than 3000hrs running on it and never a hint of problem.

I've also used a lot of avgas when necessary, and have been plagued by lead fouling in the past. Every time I return home from a long trip having used avgas I drain the oil while it's still hot, hoping to get rid of some of the lead before it settles in the gearbox..... The LL in 100LL doesn't mean 'low lead' it really means 'LOTTA LEAD'. 

If I have a list of airfields that do provide mogas I will go out of my way to fuel there to increase their throughput.

JG

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Coming from Europe I am used that in Skydeamon, one of the most used navigation apps, I find most infos about fuel on airfields, and very often also the actual price. All this data is sent in by pilots passing by sending a message to Skydeamon via their app, and they update it rather fast. The data also carry the date, so you can guess how accurate they are.

How about your OzRunways, does it have the same feature? If not I guess that would be a very good addition.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

In the absence of MoGas/ULP actually on the airfield, it would be useful to have information about the closest public service stations eg Armidale NSW, Caltex , New England Hwy, 25 m (that metres from the airfield security gate, easy walking distance even for the oldest pilot))

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A few people at South Grafton have been trying to get Avgas on the field for years. Recently several suppliers have almost been falling over themselves to get it there. The big problems are bureaucracy but other than that the main issue is the steady decline in Avgas use not only here but world wide hence the push.

I have used Mogas in my gen 3 Jab 3300 since new with no problems, clean plugs and clean oil right up to the 25th hour oil change. Initially I used BP95 exclusively but when the local BP servo went to 94 (which is just 91 with Ethanol) I switched to the Liberty 2 minutes walk from the aerodrome and now run their (Shell) 98. They also sell 95 ethanol free. I only use Avgas when that is all I can get when away somewhere. It only takes a tank full or 2 to turn the oil black.

While the chemistry is different (Avgas is Paraffin based & Mogas is Hydrocarbon Aromatics based) running a shandy for a few hours has not caused any problems for me.

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

In the absence of MoGas/ULP actually on the airfield, it would be useful to have information about the closest public service stations eg Armidale NSW, Caltex , New England Hwy, 25 m (that metres from the airfield security gate, easy walking distance even for the oldest pilot))

That's covered in this map that I made many years ago. Not up to date but still valid mostly. I welcome any updates.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1HDxCTbbdJ7DiSSakAVEBsIzGCrg&msa=0&ll=-21.28214545319641%2C139.58407160072173&spn=41.56424%2C48.251953&z=5

That's in stolspeed.com if that above link doesn't work.... 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 minutes ago, RossK said:

There is also this one, needs updating though as I know both Tyabb and Lethbridge have Mogas, but aren't listed.

Fuel Map

Yes that one is very out of date. I made that one many many years ago in the days of REAL ultralights....

Edited by JG3
Typo error
  • Like 1

There's no way of really knowing that Mogas is not contaminated. Avgas is a controlled product right to the sealed drum or approved  bowser . I'd reckon there's  a lot of liability when you set up a supply of mogas specifically for any aircraft.. The Octane ratings are not directly comparable. An equal number on mogas is about 5 under the avgas and avgas has  two numbers one for lean running and the other for rich, Rich being the  higher number, with more anti- knock capacity

Most aircooled aero engines have an increased risk of engine damage by too low an octane rating or overheating. 100 LL is the only one available; these days. 13O- 140 had much more lead and potential plug problems particularly on short route sectors on the bigger motors.. Proper aero engine oils have additives to cope with the lead contamination in the oil. Jabiru recommend these oils including the multigrade in colder areas. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, F10 said:

Yes I know it was easier to organise the Normandy Landings, then get an airfield fuel installation approved and installed. Which is the world we live in today sadly. We’ve just had one installed in Yarram, with a large chopper pad right next to it, but I’m not convinced the fuel hose will reach a helicopter like an A139, parked at centre pad.....I just find it a pity it can’t be used by the majority of aircraft hangared at the field. But, it’s still good to have at the end of the day. 

Are you saying that isn't available to visiting aircraft?? It sure would be good to have that facility to top up before heading across to Tassie....

Mogas is also available through Wimmera Aero Club at Horsham, need to ring in advance though.

JG, is there any way of updating that map?

Edited by RossK

2 hours ago, RossK said:

Mogas is also available through Wimmera Aero Club at Horsham, need to ring in advance though.

JG, is there any way of updating that map?

Just post the changes needed here and I will update the map. 

• Like 1