This Parachute?

jackc

The Chutes you sit on have very long straps. When you stand it's near the back of your knees. It would be easy to get it tangled somewhere unless you are jumping out of something like a DC3.  Nev

• Informative 2

15 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

... sheer desperation would add plenty of incentive to exit the aircraft if required. 

Saying 'Seeya!' to your pax [and erstwhile friend] might be an awkward moment.       ;- )

On 25/06/2023 at 3:44 PM, Jabiru7252 said:

... most folks would remain in their seats rather than jump from a plane with a parachute. I would agree

Edited by Garfly
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Saying 'Seeya!' to your pax [and erstwhile friend] might be an awkward moment.       ;- )

I guess if they're a friend, you give them a chute too... if they're a REAL friend, you actually push them out first!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

I guess if they're a friend, you give them a chute too... if they're a REAL friend, you actually push them out first!

True! 

But then, if you're in a spin (or you have a lot of friends) you might have your work cut out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTJEnUr-jFU

In which case, it might be back to the BRS idea    ;- )

Edited by Garfly

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

The Chutes you sit on have very long straps. When you stand it's near the back of your knees. It would be easy to get it tangled somewhere unless you are jumping out of something like a DC3.  Nev

Can’t see the advantage of a personal ‘chute in our little planes; I’d rather stay in my safe cockpit while my parachute carries me down.
I can understand that sailplane pilots wear one because of the higher chance of collision with lots of gliders in a thermal, but they’re usually up pretty high, with plenty of time to get out.

Hang around your airstrip and watch people struggling to get out of their little aeroplanes;  what hope do we have of getting clear at circuit height?

• Like 2

On 25/06/2023 at 5:41 PM, facthunter said:

It was a "Partial" engine failure also. The general advice is in those circumstances don't TRUST the motor to keep going as part of your planning decision.  Nev

This is an interesting case in point.

We get to ride along as the pilot talks herself through the final 10 minutes of the flight; her dawning realisation that 

given the J4 engine's poor performance (turns out to be a stuck-valve) she's not gonna make it to the nearest airstrip.

• Like 2

The spin BRS deployment is interesting - It’s the first one I’ve seen for a LSA.
The deployment appeared to be quite late (after spin recovery attempts failed) with the aircraft still spinning after BRS deployment all the way to the ground. The ground hit was certainly a decent thump but not catastrophic. It’s hard to judge how much damage there was to the aircraft, but the canopy seemed to open just fine, and most importantly the pilot was clearly uninjured. Under these circumstances, if there was no BRS available, the outcome for the pilot may have been very different.

Whether you are likely to survive a spin in most planes depends on the RoD they get when spinning.  It's  a near constant figure for a type. A Tiger Moth was always considered to be survivable. The attempts at spin recovery in that vid didn't demonstrate much competence. A large % of inadvertent spins are turning  final with not a lot of spare hight.  Nev

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The attempts at spin recovery in that vid didn't demonstrate much competence. 

And yet, it seems he was an experienced company test pilot. 

3 hours ago, Garfly said:

This is an interesting case in point.

We get to ride along as the pilot talks herself through the final 10 minutes of the flight; her dawning realisation that 

given the J4 engine's poor performance (turns out to be a stuck-valve) she's not gonna make it to the nearest airstrip.

Wow! Talk about calm & composed, what a lady! I tips me lid to her.

May have missed it but no emergency call, fuel off, tighten seat (lap only?) belt, before landing .

She was lucky the ground was not soft - potential nose over.

• Like 1

i know someone with a brs in a tecnam that is years out of date due to the cost of servicing or replacement. he keeps it there in case he needs it one day.

2 questions.

1.  will it even work .

2. do rocket fuels become unstable with age like some types of ammunition.

• Like 1

Good Questions And in the meantime he's carrying more weight and there's extra risk to anyone doing a rescue if it's not deployed or failed to.   Freighting these things is not easy, either. Nev

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i know someone with a brs in a tecnam that is years out of date due to the cost of servicing or replacement. he keeps it there in case he needs it one day.

2 questions.

1.  will it even work .

If hearsay carries any weight at all, I did speak to a guy who spoke to a guy in Germany who services and disposes of them.

He said that he said that he's never had one yet that failed when the handle was pulled - even many years out of date. Both rocket and 'chute.

So ... for what it's worth.  It gave me a little comfort.

But, in any case, as has been discussed here before, anyone who has one might be better off firing it off sooner rather than later, when pressed by fate.

(Maybe after a bit of manoeuvring towards some nice-ish looking drop zone.)

If you pull early and it's a total fizzer, you could still have time to set up a conventional forced arrival.

Also, pulling and being done with it, means you're no longer carrying dangerous cargo and you have time to call mother.

And explain to your erstwhile friend beside you that ... well, these things happen.

What's the point of being the hero who gets it into the football field in the conventional manner but then shoots the sheriff who comes to help.  ;- )

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

2 questions.

1.  will it even work .

The rocket has a 12 year expiry, however there is a report of a 30 year old rocket deployment on a hang glider that worked fine. There is a YouTube floating around on how to dismantle them and set them off in your garage vice if you so choose.  Probably wise not to attempt this if you live in the ‘burbs though.

When the chute is due for a repack, you don’t need to freight the rocket, just the chute. They can be separated.

• Like 3

Rocket fuels do age. The RAAF have fired off a few missiles that are near 'end of life'. Sometimes I think countries go to war just to use up their aging stock because let's face it, having a zillion dollars worth of fun things and then never using them is just awful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, well, I'm full of curiosity as to the colour of my BRS. Will I ever see it!?

Imagine buying a $9000 dollar item and never getting to post an unboxing video on YouTube.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MUCH  BETTER .

THAN.

A Chinese Super cheapi that when unboxed ! , fails to ignite the " firecracker banger " ,

Then those " cords " that hold you to the canopy ,  

Hope it's not recycled old rope ! .

spacesailor

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Garfly said:

Yeah, well, I'm full of curiosity as to the colour of my BRS. Will I ever see it!?

Imagine buying a $9000 dollar item and never getting to post an unboxing video on YouTube.  

Did you install it yourself? If so, you’d have needed to peel open the velcroed flap cover to access the harness connector. Mine is military-looking green, but I’ve heard of others being bright orange.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Mine is military-looking green, but I’ve heard of others being bright orange.

If you were James Bond, then yours would be a giant Union Jack… 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 3