Low Level Endorsement?

walrus

I note that there is a low level endorsement in the RAA Operations manual. Anyone know who does training for this? 

I find that, although it is legal to fly at 500 ft AGL in open country, I am not comfortable doing it, particularly if the terrain is undulating. It is disconcerting to be looking UP at terrain around you.

1 hour ago, walrus said:

I note that there is a low level endorsement in the RAA Operations manual. Anyone know who does training for this? 

I find that, although it is legal to fly at 500 ft AGL in open country, I am not comfortable doing it, particularly if the terrain is undulating. It is disconcerting to be looking UP at terrain around you.

I am with you  - its disconcerting to be below hill/ridge tops, exhilarating too. I am always expecting to be confronted by a Wedgy, Pelican or similar master of the sky's (seeming almost as big as my little aircraft).

I dont fly low often, much preferring the safety of flying at a minimum of LSA of 1000 ft (personal minimum) or above , depending on best forecast/actual groundspeed and potential or lack of, for forced landing sites.

I find traversing the various light aircraft lanes around the Sydney Basin between 500 - 1500 ft ASL to be a time of heightened awareness. Being required to be so close to the terrain/sea, for such extended periods, causes me to focus on the sound of the engine. Every imagined hesitation resulting in a rise in heart rate.

Not sure of the desirability of a low level endorsement, unless work (eg agricultural activities) somehow made it so.

I don't have a low level indorsement, but I did low flying as part of my PPL training.

The big advantage is that it should teach you to understand what is happening when the wind is affecting you close to the ground. Your eyes will tell you one thing, the seat of your pants another and the balance ball will indicate what is really happening.

I don't know what RAAus training includes, but it must be a plus for the pilot.

If you're going to spend extra money, I'd recommend Upset training before Low Level.

Low level is something you choose to do, and like IFR requires extra preparation; Just about every time you see a fatal accident report where someone has his a power line you can bet the power line wasn't above 500 feet. When you get down below the trees, there's training required to be able to judge the space required to climb back over them. Upset training may save you from a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks , Turbo, I’ve done some “recovery from unusual attitudes” training as part of some aerobatic work. I did that because demonstration spins, etc. scared the crap out of me during PPL training. 

‘I recommend unusual attitudes work to everybody. The first loops and rolls did my head in but later we finished every lesson with a spin from 6000 ft down to 3000.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, walrus said:

Dan at Wings Out West near Dubbo does it……

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There was a fairly detailed discussion on the LL-endo on here a few years back. 

Apparently then, you had to have a 'genuine reason' for needing to use it to get it.  I'm not sure about the current official attitude. 

On 27/12/21 at 9:12 AM, walrus said:

Flightscope at Archerfield does this.