Who's heading to OLD STATION FLY IN AND HERITAGE SHOW May-22?

I am less than 30 nm from Old Station and we have had less than 20mm of rain in the forecast flood.

I doubt that Raglan Creek which is at the end of their airstrip has even run any more than its usual flow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time at Old Station with RFguy. Well worth the 1200nm. Something for everyone including a very nice Musketeer sport. Was nice to meet Jack C. It is a beautiful spot in the bush. A country show with aircraft as a bonus.  

20220528_090013.jpg

20220529_071247.jpg

20220528_072341.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Had a great time at Old Station caught up with Jack and Bennyboy.  Great flight down early Friday and the forecast coastal headwind was present.  Had and invite to great with two mates in their planes to fly home at 500 ft most of the way and what fun that was.

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

• Like 5

What an outstanding event, thank you to the Creed family, all the organizers & participants. Personally42528EDA-35E0-4C69-9324-F46FD364EC21.thumb.jpeg.23dde5122133252516bf3420e643a700.jpeg11B8EE2D-62AF-4E26-9E9D-DE879800232D.thumb.jpeg.f8ee174c53b4aa469042339b586400ae.jpeg00B2EB25-FD83-4694-8AB1-966E5B5EB5CB.thumb.jpeg.43932378e30f18c7ecdb81fae165f149.jpegB67A7DDF-7B7B-487E-AACB-8445DB199DDA.thumb.jpeg.26c0f936718b71a89734f514be941c32.jpeg I’ve just achieved one of my bucket list items, underwing camping ️, doesn’t get much better than that, great to meet so many like minded aviation people & put faces to names.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

Mike:
Loved your pics! Is that Ross Millard's Lightwing?
Especially loved the sunrise pic. There's got to be a photo comp somewhere for that one to win in.

Thanks Scott, Yes was Ross's Its going well and looked after by its current owner Ben.

Sunsets were colourful also.

IMG_2956.JPG

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 7

Wow it really looks sensational! Glad to see you all had a great time. 
I was meant to go but coming from the southern states, the weather forecast was just too poor to make it possible. Next year I’m there though!

• Like 2

It was the best weekend I have had in years!  Met some guys on the forum and had some great conversations and admired their aircraft too.  Sorry that I did not have much to contribute by way of knowledge in conversation, learnt heaps just by listening!

Found a nice plane I would like, ironically I got home and my wife asked IF I bought anything and answer was a hesitating ‘no’ so she smells a rat!  

Here it is…..

Got a nice pic of Tony’s immaculate 912 powered Drifter taxiing for departure on Sunday.

D0371773-D0FA-4EE7-A510-4E7400EEDF7E.jpeg

B97EDF0D-665F-422C-B79B-C3580F6B0BC3.jpeg

• Like 6

I flew in and out on Saturday. Staying overnight is not for me. The noise go on too long and as I wasn't involved this year I just enjoyed a couple of hours there. Didn't see Jackc and his thruster, couldn't have looked hard enough. I didn't see any of the old rag and tube types. There was a Tecknam high wing with a diesel motor, got about twenty hours on the clock. Lots of Rvs also.

I hate you all who went to Old Station! Jealous as hell.
I'm in the US at the moment and if I'd know OS was going to return this year I would have delayed my departure to make it to my all time fave flyin.
But seriously, thanks to all who went who posted pics and stories here. Loved them all. 

We'll be there next year if it's on. Does anyone know what the Creed's plans are for the event? Is it going to be on every year or every two years?

PS: Bennyboy, OS was the first place I ever camped underwing and I loved it. The fact that the event is so well organized and has great services like showers, food etc helps a LOT. Did they have the old periodic BANGS or has CASA managed to damp squib that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

I hate you all who went to Old Station! Jealous as hell.
I'm in the US at the moment and if I'd know OS was going to return this year I would have delayed my departure to make it to my all time fave flyin.
But seriously, thanks to all who went who posted pics and stories here. Loved them all. 

We'll be there next year if it's on. Does anyone know what the Creed's plans are for the event? Is it going to be on every year or every two years?

PS: Bennyboy, OS was the first place I ever camped underwing and I loved it. The fact that the event is so well organized and has great services like showers, food etc helps a LOT. Did they have the old periodic BANGS or has CASA managed to damp squib that.

Every two I think,  Yes the big bang would have been new to some.  Biggest on Sunday morning 6am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Biggest on Sunday morning 6am.

Ahh yes. The Sunday "alarm clock".

I didn't know about this on our first visit. The first one went off in the middle of Matt Hall's talk. Scared the crap out of me till I saw that no one was rushing for the exits to see what went BANG and quite a few were giggling.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Mini-Me and I flew up Friday arvo - after I flew home from work in the Pilbara to Sydney Thursday night and finding the car had a flat battery in the long-term carpark and the NRMA was 4 hours wait time (they actually arrived right on 2 hours), I finally got home around 0100 Friday morning. The KRviatrix graciously allowed me a sleep-in until 0930 and we were airborne around 1300 after topping off the RV at $2.85/L. Ouch...

4.0 hours start up to shut down via Narrabri, Gundi and Chinchilla, with only a few occasional clicks of the HDG bug to go around clouds we'd made it to Raglan. However, I did forget to tape over the air vents and with an OAT well into the single digits, it was just a little bit cold at 8,500 (LESSON 1 - Tape over the vents earlier in the year)...Landed, taxied to parking over in the back row near the tractor pull and threw out the swags before heading over for the roast dinner. (LESSON 2 - take your chairs for this, saves sitting on the grass, and you'll be more comfortable if you decide to stay for the music & beers)

Dinner and a Bundy later, we headed back to the plane and Mini-Me has inherited my 20 year old swag and so climbed in and promptly fell asleep, so I got the new one we'd not long ago brought - and it was about here I remembered we had brought a junior swag, for Mini-Me Mk1....So here's me at well over 6' trying to get comfy in a swag meant for a kid who tops out at 5'. Dozed off, slept through the Saturday wakeup call and eventually pulled the swag back to reveal a very dewy, very cold RV. Dressed and went down to have a look at the tractor pull, Mini-Me wanted a choccy thickshake for breakfast, as you do, so he got that, and we went for a walk up the hill to take in the birds-eye view.

Came back down and went to look at the Albatross and ran into an old mate from 173 Squadron that I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years, we both knew we'd be there as she's a local and I'd been trying to get to Raglan for years, so it wasn't a total surprise, but it wasn't explicitly planned either, so we caught up for an hour or so, Mini-Me and her kids played well together, they liked the RV and I got a heads up about the 6AM "wakeup call", so when it happened Sunday morning, I wasn't as surprised...We thought we'd top off the tanks today to allow an early getaway Sunday as we had to be home around Sunday lunchtime to drive to Newcastle that afternoon, so did a quick circuit, refuelled and headed back to our parking spot and then walked back over the northern side with the camp chairs in tow. I do like the Raglan runway though... The two smoothest landings I've done in a long time were made there, and right in front of a bunch of spectators. Though my chances of getting a hat-trick are slim indeed, I reckon...

Had a look through the bikes & trucks, and then picked out a good spot for the air display before hooking into some steak burgers from the school P&C (VERY good!), then a look through the markets, dinner (Another steak burger) and dessert were had while we watched the fire twirlers & fireworks before heading back to pack up what we could and then into bed.

6AM came and went with that big-asre explosion, so up and (eventually) out of the warm swags, rolled them up and put them away, left one sleeping bag out to tuck away on top so we could pull it out on reaching cruising altitude then off for breakfast. B&E rolls from the P&C - again, quite nice - then a longish wait for a hot chocolate for Mini-Me and we headed back to depart. On the plus side, we got to see at least a dozen other fliers depart, as well as the Albatross go out and return.

Wheels up around 0830 and we set course for NSW. Up to 9,500, the KLN-90 feeding the Dynon its' flightplan, GPSS & ALT modes selected on the autopilot and we settled in for the trip home, VFR-on-top for about an hour north of the border, before clearing to scattered clouds in northern NSW then thickening again around the Hunter, necessitating a steepish descent through a couple of gaps then a more gentle descent to keep Mini-Me's ears happy, even though we could have stayed high then done a rapid descent straight to the runway, with the weather camera showing CAVU skies within the 15 mines around home. Tucked the plane to bed, had lunch then into the car to go to Newcastle. Around 8.5 hours of flying, nearly 2,000km and perhaps $700 in fuel, food and drinks for what was a great weekend.

The flight north, pretty much like this the entire way there. Apart from one big-arse cloud just north of Narrabri where we looked at it and went "Nope!"

20220527_142417.jpg

BYO Device, but Netflix was the order of the day.

20220527_143020.jpg

First time camping with the plane. Next time, I'll get a lightweight tent over the swags I think.

20220527_172939.jpg

The roast dinner / bar / live music area.

20220527_184049.jpg

20220528_082917.jpg

I think they said they had around 130 planes there on the Saturday. You can see they're probably no far off!

20220528_091440.jpg

And several thousand campers tooo
20220528_091448.jpg

With many more still queueing to get in when we did our lap!
20220528_104214.jpg

20220528_115638.jpg

I've got a Lego one just like this!

20220528_131226.jpg

The ground is down there, somewhere...Glad I have the KLN-90! 20220529_094312.jpg

Still bloody cold on the way home, but this time we had the sleeping bag around us! 😛

20220529_094516.jpg

Edited by KRviator
  • Like 7