Another accident (Bristell?) near Muswellbrook 3/12/22

When posting a new thread in Incidents and Accidents, could people please include the make of aircraft if known; accident/fatal etc; date.

We now have about 10-15 years of data in this section and often, if we can pick up a previous make of aircraft or the date we can correlate similarities., or build statistics by year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, turboplanner said:

When posting a new thread in Incidents and Accidents, could people please include the make of aircraft if known; accident/fatal etc; date.

We now have about 10-15 years of data in this section and often, if we can pick up a previous make of aircraft or the date we can correlate similarities., or build statistics by year.

It was posted on Facebook and I put the link here for anyone that may have been interested. I don't know anymore.  I did not realise I needed to get your permission first. I apologise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrendAn said:

How did you change the heading of my post without my permission. Are people allowed to do this.

Moderator. There are guidelines for headings on accident threads. In particular, include the date and location. If someone adds a post 6 or 12 months down the track, readers seeing the thread header may think it is a new accident.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

5 hours ago, BrendAn said:

How did you change the heading of my post without my permission. Are people allowed to do this.

Brendan, first thanks for posting the link.

For future reference, and particularly when posting about accidents and incidents, it is a good idea to post some detail and a date in the thread title. This does three things (that I can think of):

1. It means when someone adds to the thread, and it pops to the top of the "What's New' list, people can see what and when it is about. If what they see is 'Another Accident', every time the thread is added to and it pops up, it looks like yet another new accident......until you read down the thread and realise it is not. Which gets a bit tiresome.

2. It makes it very easy for folk to decide which threads to look at each time they visit the site........they can scan down the What's New, visiting or revisiting the specific items that interest them. So a specific thread title helps with this. Eg I have continuing interest in the recent US Air Show Crash.......and that thread is headed 'US Air Show Crash' with the date, so it is very easy for me to visit or revisit that thread.
3. It helps avoid multiple threads for the same event: again, if the thread title is specific, others are unlikely to start a new thread, so all the posts on that subject will tend to be on just the one thread, and so easily accessed.

For me, this site has been and is a wonderful resource........while I was building, and now while I am flying. About the only drawback with the place is that there is such a huge amount being posted over the years, it can be hard to find your way around. The search function is one tool that helps there. And the other thing would be clear labelling of threads.

Thanks, and blue skies.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

On 04/12/2022 at 10:44 PM, Roundsounds said:

Interesting thread, but still haven’t found out anything about the prang. 

I posted a link from the news. I wasn't there. If I knew more I would have posted it. It didn't seem to get much coverage. The media seem to have lost interest after so many aircraft accidents recently. Not exciting enough for them.

It is in the RAAus data base, the pilot no doubt submitted a factual report, we just have to wait for that report to go thru the head office rewrite using non aviation language so we can guess as to what happened 😁😂🤔😎😥🙄

• Like 1

Kangaroos doing what they do best.

STATUS: Under review OCCURRENCE DETAILS SUBMITTED TO RAAUS: The aircraft was tracking BAXT to YSCO at 2500 feet. Approx. 25nm south of Scone, an unusual noise developed in the aircraft and got progressively worse over a period of approx. three minutes. Power was reduced and a severe vibration commenced. A call was placed to Brisbane Centre that the aircraft was experiencing difficulties and would be immediately commencing a precautionary search and landing and an approx. position given. A quarry haul road was selected as the best option due to the terrain and proximity of a farm residence. A decent was immediately commenced with a track over the farmhouse at low level. A landing was commenced on the haul road. Once established on the ground and about 80 metres into the roll-out, several kangaroos came across the road and one or maybe two were struck by the left wing of the aircraft. This placed the aircraft into a sliding rotation and the right wing struck the embankment which resulted in the aircraft rotating further and coming to rest against the embankment at 90 degrees. This had caused the nose-wheel to collapse and the left main damaged in the table-drain. The pilot shut down all systems and exited the aircraft uninjured.

• Like 1
  • Informative 4

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

I posted a link from the news. I wasn't there. If I knew more I would have posted it. It didn't seem to get much coverage. The media seem to have lost interest after so many aircraft accidents recently. Not exciting enough for them.

No, people not reporting the accidents to them.

They will always go to the scene when they can, and these days they have access to electronic emergency reports. so can write a story from the desk if it's deadline day.

39 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

No, people not reporting the accidents to them.

They will always go to the scene when they can, and these days they have access to electronic emergency reports. so can write a story from the desk if it's deadline day.

it was on the abc so every network knew about it.  nothing sensational in it for them so they did not pursue it.

Just now, Thruster88 said:

I was thinking the propeller blades sheared of in the landing. Reading the report about increasing vibration perhaps they went fa coffee.

Screenshot_20221207-183141_Facebook.jpg

them roos have a lot to answer for.   they always have to get in the way.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, facthunter said:

All in all the pilot appears to have done a good job. Nev

Agree, great job.

But i bet his/her heart sank when after putting it down on a gravel road, in undulating terrain with trees, rolling out, thinking " I've pulled this off!" and then several roos come out to ruin the day!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Kangaroos on a mine haul road ??????

What ? sorry I dont buy it. Kangaroos generally stay right away from such places.

Roos love haul roads, especially after a water cart goes through.

Not sure if your joking or not

• Like 2

I have never seen roos on haul roads on any of those sort of mines.  Maybe it's just where I go. 

nevertheless, a good effort by the pilot  to get it onto  some unoccupied ground . 

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Kangaroos on a mine haul road ??????

What ? sorry I dont buy it. Kangaroos generally stay right away from such places.

But you can guarantee that when you've almost pulled off a successful landing in the most unlikey scenario, a Kangaroo will be there to ruin your day.

• Like 2