Jab down in Wentworth 2 Jan 23.

8 hours ago, jackc said:

Turbs, Try a cable break on a Glider winch launch at about 400ft?  One moment you are heading for the Moon, BANG……and if you are not suddenly pointed at the ground within milliseconds…..you can have a big problem, on your hands? 

Good that you mentioned that; I've been in a cable break with Mayer Pager in a Blanik at Benalla.

He took me up for a routine ride.

There was a loud bang, which I thought was us just relasing the cable followed by silence, a few noises and Mayer saying "Right, we've had a cable break and we're going to make an emergency landing straight ahead on the strip" which we did with the benefit of air brakes.

On the same strip with an EFATO at the same point in a powered aircraft there wouldn't have been enough room to put down on the same length of strip, but there were landable paddocks all round in those days and we would have landed a Jab or C172 uneventfully in the paddock.

So not a lot of difference, but you couldn't stick the nose down enough without air brakes in an EFATO, so gliding experience in your subconscious might actually be a disadvantage.

At 1000' a need to get on the ground in a glider is easier becaise you have some time tolook for a paddock and the air brakes help you to point the nose at it and focus on getting in to that paddock.

In an aircraft the landing is much more forced, and quite often the paddock you picked might be out of reach because you overshot it in a turn etc. so the two  exercises are different. Bu now I would have expected the instructor to throw in a forced landing or two, and you might have made the first one a piece of cake but there are all sorts of instructors, some very cunning like mine who pulled an EFATO like mine when we were below highway level.

One thing that I wont stand for on this site is the bashing of any aircraft especially Jabirus. ALL aircraft and engines have their pros and cons and what is one man's trash is another man's pleasure so PLEASE don't knock another man's pleasure. Please use the "Report Post" function if this occurs so a moderator can act on it...thanks for your understanding and hope the site is a pleasure to ALL aircraft owners and pilots.

• Like 9
  • Agree 10

I have had 3 broken wires in one launch attempt( we had winch launches on one side and aerotow on the other. After the three broken wires, I pushed over to the aerotow side.)  It is quite correct to point out that the airbrakes really help make a glider circuit easier. You can be anywhere on downwind and still do an accurate landing with a glider....  the Jabiru is much harder to land, and you need to be accurate for much longer.

One overcast day, the solo pilots were having an impromptu competition of who could be highest over the fence and still taxi up to the take-off point, which was about 200m past the fence. The winning height was 1500 ft, the glider was a Hornet which had big flap-brakes. I was told that it looked like the glider went past the vertical before rounding out and landing. Needless to say, this whole event was frowned upon and never repeated.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Beta on some turboprops can get you down fast but with some risks. Emergency descents in Airliners can safely  achieve over 10,000 FPM descent rates. There's high airspeed and low airspeed techniques.   Good sideslipping skills with the right plane can achieve a steep approach    Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

6 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

One overcast day, the solo pilots were having an impromptu competition of who could be highest over the fence and still taxi up to the take-off point, which was about 200m past the fence...

Bruce I have fond memories of a similar competition at Narromine. Last flight of the day we’d land fast, close brakes and taxi all the way home.

I once got right to the hangar door.

• Like 1