Jab down in Wentworth 2 Jan 23.

Light plane crash update - Wentworth

Two people, who survived a light plane crash this morning near Wentworth, in the state's far south-west, are now being treated in hospital for minor injuries.

The 'Jabiru' ultralight lost power just before midday today forcing the pilot to attempt a landing in a flooded paddock near the Silver City Highway and the Wentworth aerodrome.

The plane clipped trees and crash-landed.

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Wentworth reached the pilot and his passenger on foot, working their way around the floodwaters to the crash site.

They treated the pair's injuries before the arrival of NSW Ambulance, NSW Police and the Rural Fire Service.

They have both been taken by road to Mildura Base Hospital for further treatment.

The crash site has been sealed off pending further investigation.

8DB70E40-C574-4A92-81AF-A1259655F886.jpeg

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, planedriver said:

Pretty hot around there today. Forcast top of 41deg c. currently 39deg odd.

Good to note both survived and Jabby airframe held together.

Yes 2 POB and temp around 40deg.

If they had heavy fuel load would be a struggle to climb.

Jabiru mandate ops at max 37deg.

• Informative 1

I know all the jab supporters will chime in but wow..you would have to be nervous flying a jab powered aircraft around or else completly fearless. For reports on loss of power incidents on this forum, the word Jabaru is hardly even needed in the title.

Edited by extralite
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, extralite said:

I know all the jab supporters will chime in but wow..you would have to be nervous flying a jab powered aircraft around or else completly fearless. For reports on loss of power incidents on this forum, the word Jabaru is hardly even needed in the title.

Well RA exists because of a lower reliability allowance than GA, coupled with a low landing speed, coupled with training for forced landings.

This event shows that the combination can work, and the statistics show that RA forced landing survival has markedly improved from 10 years ago, when it was common to find that the engine had stopped followed by the pilot pulling back to stop the nose dropping, followed by a 1000' splatter.

I suspect we are not seeing reports of two stroke engine failures, and logic tells us there will always be a flow of those, but as long as the pilots pull them off like this one did there's not a lot to worry about.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, extralite said:

Yes, I was expecting this rubbish to turn up but your speed on this occasion was peerless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 4
  • More 1

33 minutes ago, extralite said:

Have a read of my earlier post, and you may reconsider your remarks.

• Like 1

Thanks boys...on cue. If you aren't nervous, good on you. I bet this fellow wasn't either before this flight. Just saying most people that follow this forum for a while probably would be. Now after we get through the lies, damn lies and stats, we need the "most incidents are those not properly maintained" crew to step in. You see it is such a regular event that there is a template to how Jab incident threads play out. 

Edited by extralite
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, extralite said:

Thanks boys...on cue. If you aren't nervous, good on you. I bet this fellow wasn't either before this flight. Just saying most people that follow this forum for a while probably would be. Now after we get through the lies, damn lies and stats, we need the "most incidents are those not properly maintained" crew to step in. You see it is such a regular event that there is a template to how Jab incident threads play out. 

You dont seem to have digested the content of my earlier post…..

Please read it before making irresponsible statements

• Haha 1

Look no offence. I  did read it but it isnt exactly martin luthar king stuff.  Sure it was hot. Just saying, there are a lot of jab incidents on this forum, and there are always those that will come out and say the atomic lifters were pre Engine model number 54321 and now things are much better, they should have used some different oil or did some thing different, that if you look at the stats in this particular period it is not so bad, shouldnt have flown through rain etc.   SHould have maintained it differently. All that may be true. I am just saying you would have to be nervous. And i can totally understand if you own a Jab and it hasn't quit on you that for you they  must all be reliable. Fact is, like it or not, a lot of them seem to end up in paddocks. Nobody doubts they are a good airframe. 

Edited by extralite
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, extralite said:

Look no offence but i did read it, but it is not exactly martin luthar king stuff.  Sure it was hot. Just saying, there are a lot of jab incidents on this forum, and there are always those that will come out and say the atomic lifters were pre Engine model number 54321 and now things are much better, that should have used some different oil or did some thing different, that if you look at the stats in this particular period it is not so bad. All that may be true. And i can totally understand if you own a Jab and it hasn't quit on you it must be reliable. Fact is, like it or not, a lot of them seem to end up in paddocks. Nobody doubts they are a good airframe. 

My point was…..

Temp about 40deg

Density Alt about 3000ft

2POB

Fuel load ?

Wind?

Just maybe the engine was performing perfectly but the ambient conditions were unsuitable for the takeoff.

Unreasonable to infer that Jab engines are unsafe.

Cant accept your argument sorry

Flying on a very hot day is safe enough if you know the planes capability and fly it accordingly. Climb at a higher airspeed etc. Don't wait till a temp goes too high to do something about it.  By then some cool air for you won't go amiss either and don't get dehydrated. Wear the right gear.  Nev

Edited by facthunter