Sydney movements 04:30 Saturday?

flying dog

EVERYONE want s to fly cheaply but no one wants an aerodrome near them. Bit unrealistic but normal.  International gateways should be 24/7 The world can't economically schedule around a Part-time operation run by a mob of wimps. Modern Jets are far far quieter than the early stuff. and climb more steeply.  Nev

• Agree 2

You beet me to my correction - I much prefer Badgerys Creek to Western Sydney International (Nancy-Bird Walton) Airport  - Two Sydney's in close proximity must be a recept for incidents to occur and Nancy-Bird Walton just doesnt have a nice "ring" to it.

• Like 1

We were on a last flight out of Sydenney back in 2012 after arriving from LA just as a thunderstorm hit. They couldn't unload planes, flights were delayed and cancelled (Melb Grand Final eve too, lots of toothless Swans fans wanting to come to Melb) Just as one flight on the opposite gate got cancelled, our Virgin flight got cleared to board, the cabin crew were telling everyone "Move to the back - take any seat WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE, GO GO GO!!!!"  They closed doors at about 10:59 and we could and did depart just after curfew. It was a hoot of a flight. Especially leaving all those losers wanting to go the the footy Satdy. Suck shit losers!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 440032 said:

Aeromedical can still come and go if need be, screw the stupid curfew. What a joke that is, gateway to Australia - closed at 11pm to 6am.

If you thinks SYDNEY is THE gateway to Australia I would say there is/are other things needing attention here.

• Like 1

And so in the bigger scheme of things:  No one knows REAL information on what happened?

"we" (the other person and I) - as stated - are in Ashfield.    That is under DEPARTING traffic.   Inbound.  NEVER!

Well, if there is inbound traffic at 3000 feet at Ashfield there are bigger things happening.

Every morning at 06:15 (I think it is) a A380 takes off overhead.   Going to Dubai.

It is LOW AND HEAVY.

Yes a lot quieter than the older 747's from the 80's.

The reported plane was low and noisy.

Any emergency plane would be way up by  the time it gets over us.

As no one can help:  I will "write it off as not worth pursuing any further."

We used to live in Rockdale, directly under the Mascot flightpath. The Alitalia DC-8s when taking off to the west over our house were the loudest civilian planes we ever heard. We had to block our ears if we were outside due to the screech from those engines. I think the C5 Galaxy would be a close second.

• Informative 2

The earlier Jets were low bypass ratio engines and the efflux was supersonic and emitted cracking noises from the shock waves. They also had lower thrust figures and lingered lower Longer. They also didn't use reduced thrust take offs.   The British VC-10 nicknamed the Iron Duck was extremely noisy. The early DC 8  and B 707 also left black smoke (soot) trails. Nev

• Informative 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The earlier Jets were low bypass ratio engines and the efflux was supersonic and emitted cracking noises from the shock waves. They also had lower thrust figures and lingered lower Longer. They also didn't use reduced thrust take offs.   The British VC-10 nicknamed the Iron Duck was extremely noisy. The early DC 8  and B 707 also left black smoke (soot) trails. Nev

Ahhh yes - Forgot about those bloody VC-10s.

And most if not all those early jet engines, including the DC-9s and 727s trailed black smoke. My mum used to curse the exhausts, and the mess they made of her curtains. The 747s were a blessing, noise wise.

As for the overall noise levels, we used not be able to talk in the house, or hear the TV while the jets flew overhead (Literally overhead our house - gear was down, and we could see inside the wheel wells)- We used to say it they interrupted us for 5 minutes all up - it was prob only 2 or 3 minutes, but the noise was so much worse for us ground dwellers back in the day. 

I think they are still annoying - we stayed in Gumdale, Brisbane for a week recently, and the early morning takeoffs were definitely intrusive. 

• Agree 1

I always felt for the People in Adelaide who lived on the approach to rwy 23. You don't DO power off approaches in jets (normally) and in strong headwind conditions a LOT of Power is used as you are maintaining the same appoach path angle.  Nev

Ahhh, yes - in the days when the old saying, "pour on the coal", meant exactly that, as regards exhaust emissions! Little wonder we have so many "environmental activists" today!

DC-8.JPG

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

I live in Earlwood only about 6km west of Kingsford Smith airport which is generally pretty quiet given my angle to the runways.

However I can lay in bed and tell when the B73 or A320 take off on their freight runs out of hours.

The BAe146QT 's are so very quiet, it's no wonder that they are popular for night ops, and sleeping with my head near an open window, I can only just about hear them taking off.

Bankstown Airport has heaps of them being maintained and prepared for such operations.

Edited by planedriver

1 hour ago, Student Pilot said:

Give it 20 years, it will be built out and people complaining about aircraft.

Won't take that long to be built out. The rate of housing estate development in that part of Sydney makes the popping up of mushrooms after rain look glacial.  But that depends on the Government stating up to Big Business. Here is the map indicating the impact of the NASF noise contours (blue line) compared to the existing ANEF controls (orange line) for Nancy Bird Walton Airport:

Airport-Noise-image-300x212.png

A new clause has been inserted in the final District Plans that could have the effect of stopping thousands of new homes around the Western Sydney airport, says the Urban Taskforce. "The draft Western City District Plan made no reference to the National Airports Safeguarding Framework (NASF) that defines excessive new noise contours around airports but a new clause has appeared in the recently released final plans that could have dramatic impacts on new housing up to 25 km from the Western Sydney airport,” says Urban Taskforce CEO Chris Johnson “The new clauses is 28k on page 70 in the Western District City Plan and it requires ‘giving effect to the National Airports Safeguarding Framework, incorporating noise…measures’. This introduces a new method for measuring noise that could stop new housing that is currently permissible, across an extra 240 square kilometres around Western Sydney Airport.”

The Urban Taskforce calls on the NSW Government to remove references to the NASF system in relation to noise from its Western City District Plan to ensure that there is no confusion over where housing can be located around the Western Sydney Airport. The Urban Taskforce calls on the NSW Government to remove the requirements to give effect to the NASF system in relation to noise from all District Plans and to continue to only utilise the long term and respected ANEF system for land use planning.

The Urban Taskforce Executive Committee is elected by the members and oversees corporate policy, governance and financial management of the Urban Taskforce Australia. It includes some of Australia’s leading property developers. The Executive Committee members are:

Peter Spira AM
(Chairman) – Urban Taskforce Australia

David Tanevski
(Hon.Secretary/Treasurer) – Managing Director, KWC Capital Partners

Allen Linz
(Deputy Chairman) – Managing Director, Rebel Property Group

David Ghannoum
(Deputy Chairman) – Regional Managing Director, Multiplex

Lang Walker AO
Founder & Executive Chairman, Walker Corporation

Richard Scheinberg AM
Director, McDonald Industries

John Carfi
Chief Executive Officer, Aqualand

Matthew Lennartz
Executive Manager, Planning & Government, Meriton

Kevin Nassif
Chief Operating Officer & Director, Holdmark Property Group

Link to full article: https://www.urbantaskforce.com.au/new-clause-in-district-plans-could-stop-housing-in-an-extra-240-square-kilometres-around-western-sydney-airport/

• Informative 1