Started a spare parts list

On 28/06/2023 at 3:08 PM, onetrack said:

This article may be of interest. It provides a wiring diagram, which is pretty necessary when you start playing with electrics.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/Standard Mods/SM12970 Rotax 91X Schicke GR6 Regulator.pdf

This seems to be for a particular replacement reg/rec. Probably the same wiring, but also interesting since that's another source. Check out that heat sink!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, facthunter said:

It's more than a heat sink It's going to  actively dissipate heat. This is normal with Diodes isn't it?  Nev

In the electronics world, you just call them heat sinks 

• Like 2

Inadequate term though when it should alert you to the need for a blast tube or some other provision. Engines are used as heat sinks too and that involves time limit considerations..  Nev

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Inadequate term though when it should alert you to the need for a blast tube or some other provision. Engines are used as heat sinks too and that involves time limit considerations..  Nev

Maybe, but the reg/rec is electronic so in that world everyone knows that it's a heat radiator but it's easier to say heat sink 🙂

Everyone should know diodes need to be cooled. Those who don't allow for it get failures. Starters have limit's on the number of attempts and why take off power is limited because the motor is using it's heat sink capacity.  Concepts powered pilots should be familiar with. Applies to brake usage too. Nev

• Informative 1

On 27/06/2023 at 9:57 PM, skippydiesel said:

I have had one Rotax 912ULS aircraft that I fitted with Gemini radiators hose by Gates. They came pre bent/formed and needed trimming for length. If I remember correctly (always a concern) I had one Gemini length on one side and two on the other. On the two side, the hose was joined using a Gates radiator hose joiner - system worked well for me over near 900 hrs and 10 years.

I spent a while in Repco the other day looking for suitable 25mm ID hose for the radiator runs.   Couldn't find anything and everything was hellishly expensive anyway given I'd need to buy several to get the right bends in it.

Just in terms of the Gemini radiator hose Skippy - was searching online for that but it always seems to be 30 - 34mm, not 25 as we need for the Rotax connections?

What other options are there - looking at this (Aeroflow silicone heater hose) - handles up to 180 and it looks like it's got some spiral reinforcement.  Can't find any data on bend radii though.  Would something like that be suitable for the 25mm sections?

Edited by Marty_d

3 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

I spent a while in Repco the other day looking for suitable 25mm ID hose for the radiator runs.   Couldn't find anything and everything was hellishly expensive anyway given I'd need to buy several to get the right bends in it.

Just in terms of the Gemini radiator hose Skippy - was searching online for that but it always seems to be 30 - 34mm, not 25 as we need for the Rotax connections?

What other options are there - looking at this (Aeroflow silicone heater hose) - handles up to 180 and it looks like it's got some spiral reinforcement.  Can't find any data on bend radii though.  Would something like that be suitable for the 25mm sections?

I have silicone on now; ensure 4 ply not 2 ply.  A mix of straight, alloy tube with ferrule end beads and 90 degree silicone.  Image in 'New Nynja to area' thread.  The manufacturer (Flylight Airsport) now supplies silicone hose in the 25 and 17 mm id sizing. Cheers

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 5:00 PM, Marty_d said:

Marty I think it might have been Gemini bottom radiator hose - definitely 25mm ID. I have a great relationship with my local Repco. They let me peruse their hose (paper) catalogue . I then purchased several likely, pre bent, 25mm hoses - took back those unused for full refund.

This would be a modern version of the one I searched through: https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/catalogues/hose-application-catalogue-aus-nz-january-2018.pdf

You must be able to find something in the above (Joiners page 24 & Uncoils Page25)

Personally, I would avoid silicon:  expensive/heavy/unlikely to find a good fit . The only good thing - comes in fancy colours for the fashion conscious.

Thanks for that Onetrack (the Forum at its best) - will follow up your lead on Monday.

Float Needle with neoprene ti

Just noticed what the BM Bikes said about their offering "Float Needle with neoprene tip" . The Rotax one has a "Viton" tip - is this just a terminological juxtaposition or are they actually different???

Edited by skippydiesel

No, the materials are different. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber polymer, polychloroprene. It has excellent chemical and fuel resistance, and good sealing properties.

https://www.alanto.co.uk/information/glossary/what-is-neoprene#:~:text=Neoprene or polychloroprene is part,as well as temperature performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene

Viton is an improved synthetic rubber, a fluorocarbon polymer. It's major advantage is its superior heat resistance. I often use Viton o-rings where hydraulics operate at high temperatures, and Viton provides a superior performance as a sealing product over Nitrile seals in these applications. It does have an improved resistance to long-term deformation over Neoprene.

I cannot see any major advantage with a Viton float needle valve seal, as compared to a Neoprene float needle valve seal - maybe a small difference, but it's not like there's high temperatures in a carburettor. The slightly better resistance to deformation of Viton over Neoprene may have been the reason Viton was chosen, but I don't see where Neoprene has major deficiencies in any way in this application.

https://www.applerubber.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-viton/#:~:text=Viton® is a specific,temperatures and low compression set.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Just checked them out Danny_G - they could be quit competitive (didn't factor in delivery or GST)

In my case it was  a matter of getting the parts. Full stop 

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Has anyone had luck sourcing fuel on/off valves? Inline that is, just for a safety "off" in the cabin in case of fire etc.

I found some inexpensive ball valves at a motorcycle shop. 
Two mounted next to my right knee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Has anyone had luck sourcing fuel on/off valves? Inline that is, just for a safety "off" in the cabin in case of fire etc.

I use these 3/8"  BSP female ends.  Placed between tank and fuel filter.  No issues.

Fuel valve 3 8 BSP s-l500.jpg

IMG_7109.jpeg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2023 at 5:00 PM, Marty_d said:

Just a follow up:

Checked out the Gates radiator hose catalogue - If you stick with relatively small capacity engined cars, you are more likely to come up with 25mm ID hoses. The catalogue will have a picture, PN, ID and length, vehicle & position. Some examples:

Gates PN:  ID: Length:  Car :  Position

02-0058  25 255  Barina Lower

02-1029 25 710 Accord Lower

02- 1032 25 500 Accord  Upper

02- 0961 25 325 CRX Upper

02-0963 25 510 CRX Lower

• Like 2