M22 x 1.5mm pitch half nuts (oil cooler mounting)

Marty_d

Yep,  although they are 13mm thick.  I've only got 16mm total on the threads and I need 6 for the top nuts and another 1 for the bracket, leaving 9mm.  So I reckon Blueadventures is right and I should just get some scrap 6mm ally and tap it out.

• Informative 1

I have used two nuts locked on a thread in the lathe and  carbide tools to cut down nuts.  This system keeps the tool away from the jaws and an expensive collission. I have also made nuts using hex bar in the lathe.  Beware of cheap Chinese dies I have bought some online that don't cut a thread that will connect to a standard bolt.

One fastener supplier that sometimes has the odd fastener is Lee Bros of North Parramatta they are an outside chance.  But if you find that they have one I will buy it and post it to you.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

My go to fastener supplier for non-aviation spec stuff is www.bolt.com.au at Smeaton Grange, which is near Camden NSW

They list an M22 x.15 locknut for $7.80 Part No BLNMF22x1.5

There is a store in Dandenong. 

WWW.BOLT.COM.AU

Find your nearest local Bolts & Industrial Store.

• Like 1

90% of the axial load of a bolt is taken in the first  one and a half threads. A bolt with a lower modulus of elasticity make load 90% in a slightly larger number of threads.  So lock bolt material would not worry me so much.  But the galvanic action of dissimilar metals would worry me.

• Like 1

Taping alloy is not good , as it binds in the tap thread's. 

BEST To get' HEX ' BAR  ,then you don't have ' galvanic problems. 

spacesailor

Oops read that last post after I hit send . Make them all alloy .

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dis I mis the obvious supply solution in my very quick read through - E mail B Flood with the following part number for an availability & price.

Rotax Oil Radiator parts - 4 nuts on part number 242873

image.jpeg.c1a2d0259e10c59a4db2c1045167ac9c.jpeg

2 N 242873 ..2 HEX NUT M22x1.5 (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Dis I mis the obvious supply solution in my very quick read through - E mail B Flood with the following part number for an availability & price.

Rotax Oil Radiator parts - 4 nuts on part number 242873

image.jpeg.c1a2d0259e10c59a4db2c1045167ac9c.jpeg

2 N 242873 ..2 HEX NUT M22x1.5 (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h (4)h

He did source some.  I was actually sorting stuff at the hangar today and unwrapped some bubble wrap and it contained a set of oil cooler connections (items in image except the 1 & 5 parts).  Were from an oil cooler we needed 8 months ago.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Marty if your ones don't fit or something let me know.

Thanks Mike, will do. They're coming from China so I'm not expecting them for a while.