RAAus Election 2023

FlyingVizsla

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

Apathy and "I JUST wanna fly" Mindset. Nev

Or they are neutral with the way the organisation is being run and are unable to form an opinion about who to vote for.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coljones said:

Or they are neutral with the way the organisation is being run and are unable to form an opinion about who to vote for.

A limited company is remote; do you attend the AGMs and vote for the Board on your passenger carrier; Qantas, Virgin, or your main suppliers, water boards, etc.?

With Incorporated Associations where the operating group is the Committee of Management, I've always insisted on public monthly meetings where members can be listened to and a monthly report so everyone knows what the issues are and be a part of making major decisions. When a problem crops up, action is much faster than the remote structure which is more suited to boring corporate activities.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

There seem to be 2 groups of people in this landscape:

Group 1 - these people - their pulses race with words like AGM's, boards elections, board member, associations, incorporated associations, diplomatic, elections, constitution, nominees ......... etc

Group 2 - this group just are not interested  

Group 3 - and other groups, in case this is to much of a generalisation

Group 1 - love throwing rocks and will keep throwing rocks at group 2. Group 1 thinks Group 2 is at fault for not participating. Rock throwing is obviously contradictory to diplomacy. Rock throwing is the same fault that Group 1 thinks .............. Group 2 has 

Group 2 - usually never react - because probably there was no reaction in the first place. Rock throwing is not a provocation to Group 2. Group 2 does not think Group 1 has a fault - generally Group 2 never even considered any one had a fault at all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnm said:

There seem to be 2 groups of people in this landscape:

Group 1 - these people - their pulses race with words like AGM's, boards elections, board member, associations, incorporated associations, diplomatic, elections, constitution, nominees ......... etc

Group 2 - this group just are not interested  

Group 3 - and other groups, in case this is to much of a generalisation

Group 1 - love throwing rocks and will keep throwing rocks at group 2. Group 1 thinks Group 2 is at fault for not participating. Rock throwing is obviously contradictory to diplomacy. Rock throwing is the same fault that Group 1 thinks .............. Group 2 has 

Group 2 - usually never react - because probably there was no reaction in the first place. Rock throwing is not a provocation to Group 2. Group 2 does not think Group 1 has a fault - generally Group 2 never even considered any one had a fault at all

Every one is different and his its own personality.

An association can work well with an Alpha male or female President or Secretary doing all the admin work and making all the decisions.

It can also work with a good commitee doing that with a weak President and Secrtary.

It can also work with some strong members provided there are regular meetings and all decisions are voted on.

I have had a collection of about 50 Associations represented by about 15 Presidents, all A type personalities, all knowing our constitution and our powers, and that surprisingly worked when I held over any item that wasn't unanimously passed. Usually by the next meeting the subject had been talked about the objector had been placated and the Association worked well.

However, RAA doesn't have an Association any more; as someone famously said in the lead up to RAA LTD, "No point in having a dog and barking yourself". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Group 1 have no cause to complain IF they are paid. If they are volunteers, then they have a right to moan about the freeloaders who don't contribute. Same as any club or school or sports committee!

But raaus is not a club is it. It is an organisation that we have to be a member of to fly an ultralight aircraft . I pay my rego and my membership fees but i don't plan on joining the board even if I did have vast aeronautical knowledge which I don't.

• Informative 1

The membership fee gets you in. Then there is a judgement about whether or not you are a contributor or a taker. I admit I am a taker, member since 1993 and I have never volunteered for anything. Went to one AGM in all that time. I contribute to other causes, but can't do everything.

• Informative 1

6 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

The membership fee gets you in. Then there is a judgement about whether or not you are a contributor or a taker. I admit I am a taker, member since 1993 and I have never volunteered for anything. Went to one AGM in all that time. I contribute to other causes, but can't do everything.

i think you are missing the point of what i said.  raaus to me is the same as vicroads , except i pay a membership as well.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

i think you are missing the point of what i said.  raaus to me is the same as vicroads , except i pay a membership as well.

Good example; Vicroads gave up truck transport control to a Queensland - based body, National Heavy Vehicle Regulator,  which was originally set up to ensure regulations such as load limits matched between States (a full time job for about four people). The NHVR once appointed decided to model itself on Queensland Transport and now has a staff of probably more than a thousand, is building depots around Australia. At one stage control over weight/width permits was handed over from Victoria to NHVR and instead of phoning up the local Vicroads branch in Country Victoria, operators had to wait days while someone in Queensland worked out where the route was and what bridges and obstacles were involved. Now we are seeing road trains operating into the suburbs of Melbourne and tippers so heavy that the towing vehicle needs the interaxle and diff locks on to prevent wheel slip away from the lights. That's where you can be headed with central control and no democracy.

• Like 1