Finally Group G is getting closer

From the CEO

G’day all

I’m pleased to say that we are getting awfully close to obtaining our 760 kg MTOW (Group G) approval. Pleasingly, CASA recently gave in-principle approval of the RAAus Flight Operations and Technical Manual revisions that are necessary to align our manuals to CASA regulations for this new Group of aircraft. With this, I’m confident that our final approval shouldn’t be too far away.

With the increased certainty around what will be approved by CASA, our staff are now busy, readying internal business systems, creating new forms, developing education and training programs and implementing a detailed member communication plan, to make this transition as easy as possible for members.

We have built the following library of questions to answer what we believe will be common questions on various topics using information on what we know at this time. Once we receive the final approval from CASA, the answers to these FAQs will be updated as necessary. Members are encouraged to keep reviewing this page and reading e-news for the latest information. 

And if you think of any other questions that we haven’t yet answered, please send them through to [email protected] so we can pop these up on the website for everyone to see.

Cheers

Matt Bouttell
CEO

Complete the Group G Implementation Survey for regular updates and priority access

As part of our preparation for the implementation of the MTOW increase, RAAus has prepared a survey to obtain expressions of interest in relation to the registration and operation of Group G aircraft in order to understand the numbers of applications expected for workload planning purposes.

By taking part in our survey you will be able to subscribe to our Group G information list to receive more regular updates, as well as priority access to applications when RAAus goes live.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/survey-taken?sm=DfZDNuordAiMMwNoapy3I6EzxlMtq3qPw2ovPrG9K7Y_2B13kaxxPFjYGSndw8mg3oRQ11Hfy0dorVhjkbTkfx6Ntj7Ir6T8wkt90JUHZMp6Q_3D

• 1 month later...

Just out from RAAUS

I can now share with you that RAAus has received a new Part 149 Certificate that allows us to administer Light Weight Aeroplanes, which are known as Group G and can have a maximum take-off weight up to 760 kgs! This approval from CASA is one of the biggest advancements in member privileges we’ve seen, and we are immensely proud to provide it to our members.I’d like to thank our staff that worked tirelessly to make this a reality. Since the regulations changed to enable us to apply for this privilege back in December 2021, we’ve needed to navigate an extremely complex set of regulations, adapt our processes, have regulations amended, perform a significant amount of safety analysis and conduct risk assessments, and engage professionally with our regulator. Right here, is one of the largest benefits for our members. That is, RAAus does all of this work so you don’t have to!

Our next steps are to implement Group G methodically and compliantly. There is a sequence to enabling Group G become operational and the first major implementation activity is to educate our Chief Flying Instructors in mid-February when we’ll be hosting a conference in Brisbane, where much of the operational and technical information will be shared. We then need aircraft registered in this new Group, we need instructors trained, we need to publish the new Ops and Tech manuals, and there are internal processes that need finalising, etc etc. Regardless, we’re hopeful that come 25 March we’ll be able to start registering some aircraft and be able to ramp up from there.

We know there is a fair bit of demand amongst the membership, with more than 400 members responding to the recent survey indicating their intent to either obtain a Group G Pilot Certificate and/or register an aircraft in this new group. This is a great thing for members, RAAus and the broader industry!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

It sounds very complicated and a lot of work. Have been flying a potential group G RV for the last 3 years, not sure what I am missing.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I was told it is basically the same rules and proceedures as VH Experimental

You will need a MPCC if you are the builder and maintainer. I ahve done the course with SAAA a few years ago in prep for this

• Informative 2

While entry to controlled airspace (yet to be achieved) is a clear benefit that would benefit some RAA pilots, I am having difficulty in seeing the "benefits" (compared with GA) for those aircraft owner/flyers of the Group G aircraft.

For those in the know, how about a comparative list - two columns, RAA & GA, pluses & minuses of each system???

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

While entry to controlled airspace (yet to be achieved) is a clear benefit that would benefit some RAA pilots, I am having difficulty in seeing the "benefits" (compared with GA) for those aircraft owner/flyers of the Group G aircraft.

For those in the know, how about a comparative list - two columns, RAA & GA, pluses & minuses of each system???

That would have been a good thing to do at the start Skippy

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

Medical standard would be first on the list and not much more.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Medical standard would be first on the list and not much more.

Are you implying that the RAA or GA (base level) medical requirement is : less stringent?/cheaper?

If this is the only benefit - there is unlikly to be a stampede of defectors from GA.

14 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Are you implying that the RAA or GA (base level) medical requirement is : less stringent?/cheaper?

If this is the only benefit - there is unlikly to be a stampede of defectors from GA.

Yes; I'm very surprised you do not know this fact already.

6 minutes ago, BurnieM said:

Depends how Basic 5 medical turns out.

Could be that they become so close to the same that nobody bothers.

Absolutely agree,  No real difference in annual membership costs etc; so why change will be their consideration.  Some may change and if CASA alter their medical requirement to similar to the UK / USA etc then they may change back. 

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

What did you actually learn when you converted to raaus. I think they need to provide more information to converting pilots.

2 hours ago, rodgerc said:

3,232 as of 26 January 2024

Be interested to know how many aircraft have rego allocated to them and how many are in current rego.  I did read recently where RAA is contacting all aircraft owners with expired registration to ascertain their plans forward (plan to become airworthy or never to fly again),

48 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

What did you actually learn when you converted to raaus. I think they need to provide more information to converting pilots.

For me the change (GA to RAA) was a combination of circumstance - the opportunity to purchase an aircraft I could afford to own  -  the realisation that 3  of seats of the C 172 that I hired, were usually empty.

In addition to this was the shear pleasure in flying aircraft that responds so crisply to every control input.

• Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Be interested to know how many aircraft have rego allocated to them and how many are in current rego.

The precise wording on the RA website is:

“There are currently 3232 active aircraft in the RAAus fleet.”

Since registrants are invoiced annually, I’d interpret “active” to mean “currently registered”, but I’ve been wrong before today. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

For me the change (GA to RAA) was a combination of circumstance - the opportunity to purchase an aircraft I could afford to own  -  the realisation that 3  of seats of the C 172 that I hired, were usually empty.

In addition to this was the shear pleasure in flying aircraft that responds so crisply to every control input.

Good reply. I can see how a 172 would be quite expensive for 1 person to fly around.