Earhart's Lockheed found?

There's still a lot of WW2 aircraft unaccounted for. The wing sweep doesn't look right, but maybe that's because the wings fractured at their roots as it hit the water. Maybe we need to get this bloke to find MH370, with his kind of tenacity.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

ABC7CHICAGO.COM

A sonar image shows what looks like an object shaped like an airplane, resting underwater within 100 miles of Howland Island, near where...

How does that distance compare with the radio transmission from the Earhart aircraft that they could see Howland Island and were ditching in the sea?

• Like 1

from memory they also had a US warship 'making lots of smoke' as a signal to assist Earhart ......... but they never saw that ?

• Agree 2

How many times has the aircraft been "found"?
Needs a History channel special along with the mandatory tattooed expurt proclaiming what if? Could it be? Along with lots of blurry shots of sediment obscured seabed with aircraft shaped coral. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

C'mon, he's spent $11M of his own money - not from "contributors" to a "search fund", that's "guaranteed to find the wreckage"! - so cut him some slack, I think this bloke deserves a hearing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

100 miles much to far to swim .

The English channel is about 50 miles . & not too many boaters attempt

That crossing with a power boat .

I crossed " Cook Strait " NZ ,in a ' trailer yacht ' , 6 hours motor-sailing .

spacesailor

PS : people have swam the Cook-Strait .

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Informative 1

Some people get an obsessive compulsion for many things like looking for their Ancestors/ finding the holy grail. I'd like to build/fly a Bleriot XI.   Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Some people get an obsessive compulsion for many things like looking for their Ancestors/ finding the holy grail. I'd like to build/fly a Bleriot XI.   Nev

8eauvw.thumb.jpg.a2fa86370c5487fe4b6628892614f58f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 2

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

You and me both. I saw a picture of that plane when I was about 8 and thought “I could build that”, and the thought has never left me. I’ve been staring at the sky ever since. 

• Like 3

If they find it is, do they leave it there as a grave like ww2 planes, or try to recover it. I watched a video on History today where they found a us jet that went off a carrier of the Florida coast in the 60s. The cockpit had no visible remains, but the parachute survived. One sailor has come up with footage from the day on a usb now. It clearly shows the damage as it happened, one of the crew’s helmets can be seen in the busted cockpit. His son’s were shown the wreckage and the footage to try and help bring closure.

• Informative 1

I read somewhere it was in 5000m of water (or maybe ft)  and there was talk of raising it. That would be a fair effort. I’ll try to find the news article.

• Like 2

It’s 16.000 feet down, I believe, so 5,000m. I’d be surprised if they tried to recover it, even if it is her aircraft which is not at all certain at this stage.

• Informative 1

It might as well be recovered IF some someone wants to fund it. It's not a war grave.. The depth might help to preserve it. (Lack of Oxygen).  Don't restore it because then it's just another Lockheed plane . Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Found the article. Easy to say, tad more difficult to do.

“Depending on whether the plane is in good condition and structurally stable, then we can lift it to the surface and hopefully restore it," he said.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-31/deep-sea-vision-team-claims-amelia-earhart-plane-found/103407718

• Informative 3

Well that's what is often done but you lose something in my opinion. Often the only thing original is the data plate. You might as well say she flew a plane that Looked much like this one when she started off..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I dont know,

I get the "its only original once" argument,

but its the same with restoring classic cars - its either going to rot away into ruin.

or be displayed and enjoyed by many.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/barn-find-maserati-restoration-sparks-online-anger-from-collectors

we all know the story of the wreck - but I think in a generation or two it would be more appreciated as the complete aircraft.

how many famous wrecks do you remember as opposed to complete aircraft?

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

There's a Mitsubishi Zero in the Qantas museum in Darwin  preserved in the condition it was found in  (It landed in a swamp.) That tells you more information than a restored one would and will probably last longer as an exhibit in it's present form. Original UNRESTORED is valued more than ever these days. Polishing things like they never were is considered "Ruined" by the more enlightened among us.. You can't 'unpolish 'castings where the patina has been destroyed.  Nev

• Like 1