Not so good solo

21 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Jack why have powered flaps in a little plane that has NO system to control differential flap and the Physical effort is well within everybody's normal capacity. Nev

Good question, discussed just recently. Not a good idea at all in low inertia aircraft where you may have to do something fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

KG, coming in using a bit if throttle occasionally doesn't mean you land faster. It will make the approach angle a little shallower than it otherwise would but you get back to normal glideslope angle. (That's what it's called regardless of the power used) when there's a headwind.) Nev

Agreed but maybe it was the way I read the post. If its gusty & strong headwind I like a bit of throttle but idle once the runway is assured.

• Like 1

Idle when you touch down. Takes energy from the equation. You take it OFF earlier only if you are too fast. I was bought up on very short runways.   Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackc said:

The Jabiru electric flap system scares me IF I need a go around as I have to hold flap switch up to raise flaps and use left hand reaching across stick while watching indicator at extreme right of cabin, it’s a horrible system.

Jack, If I was keeping my J230,  I would move the flaps switch to  above the throttle.  (and have another set on the other side)

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Jack, If I was keeping my J230,  I would move the flaps switch to  above the throttle.  (and have another set on the other side)

Mine is a 24 reg, Jabiru will not allow it. People wonder why I get pi$$ed off with stupid unsafe regulations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jackc said:

Mine is a 24 reg, Jabiru will not allow it. People wonder why I get pi$$ed off with stupid unsafe regulations.

Tecnam has the same setup. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Brendan If you were dehydrated YOU can be suffering some VERY severe symptoms. Some older blokes on motorcycle rally's have shown these and I even sent one to Hospital to check he hadn't had a stroke. Older blokes don't drink enough water as they are scared they might need to pee.. Nev

I should have known better.  I worked in hot remote locations for a long time. We used to get the importance of hydration drummed into us all the time. I have had sunstroke and it wasn't good.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I wouldn’t be too worried about finding a reason for the bad day. I remember one day when I was a bit further on in my training than you are now when everything should have been perfect; nice weather, well rested, enthusiastic for the lesson. Before we started that day’s topic (something new and exciting), the boss said to do one circuit and I screwed it up mightily. Hmmm, he sez. Better do another. Likewise crap. And another. And another. Spent most of that lesson just doing the circuits that I’d been doing fine (in much more difficult conditions) for many weeks. There was no obvious reason, and it never happened again (which is not to mean that I never did anything stupid after that, just that I never had that total brain block for an extended period again). 

• Like 1

Sometimes there is no obvious reason for less than stellar air performance... For me, it usually depends how much is on my mind multiplied by how many days since I last flew.. 

On Friday I was going to fly, but I felt a little off, slept very poorly had a bit of a stomach bug, so flew saturday morning instead.  Always ask yourself. Is it absolutely necessary that I fly today ? Not flying won't kill you. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, jackc said:

Jack, and mine is too. my feeling is that modifications to RAAUS aircraft in a practical sense really only affect resale pain. (assuming they're 'good'). My J230 will be sold stock with the Gen3 or a Gen4 . Not with the rotax (which has been interfaced) and NOT with an LCH Gen3, because.... of the headaches for the next owner- that there has to be a condition report  generates a paperwork trail trigger on changes........IE  as a result the radical change to the engine IE a visible difference that could not plausibly missed by the L2 providing a 'condition report'.    

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

The layout ergonomics of a Jabiru are awful but this isn't limited to Jabirus. A lot of aircraft have things in weird places and all are different. The simple option is to replace the 3 way switch with momentary/off/on with the on for raising flaps. You may need a microswitch on the flap travel mechanism to make sure the motor stops at the extremes of travel.

• Like 1

There is no magic pill to guarantee successful flying/landings.

As with anything, don't give up! If it takes 6, 7, 10 go arounds, let it be, but don't give up. Thats why are you here today, not giving up and well done for that !

Try writing down on a paper circuit proceure, what exactly do you do, where do you look, at what point in circuit, write to details and discuss with instructor. Yes, it will be different picture and circuit altitudes when flying to another aerodrome, but write for your aerodrome. Speeds, flaps, prelanding checks, posistions should be the same for any aerodrome. Once you discuss, do armchair flying. 

It is like Damped Sinusoidal curve, there are ups and downs, but eventually it settles. Practice is the key.  

General rule is: fly balanced, especially in turns, keep the ball in the centre and nose on (or slightly below) horizon.

Ball is your primary instrument in turns, but don't be focused on one thing only.

Keep flying!

• Like 1

As you do more and more unsatisfactory circuits one after the other, your anxiety level will rise even perhaps into a panic situation. You have no option but to get down safely. Get  yourself together and put more into it to get a  "controlled" acceptable landing before you deteriorate further. You are the only one who can do the job but don't let that spook you. Stay cool and methodical and respond to the Plane..  Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Stay cool and methodical and respond to the Plane.

Absolutely! Even more so, GET cool and methodical, even if you have to break out of the circuit for a few minutes to compose yourself. Another memory to bore you with. I did something dumb (no idea what now) during a solo T&G, and I was berating myself all the way down downwind. Suddenly realised that I was so busy worrying about what had been that I wasn’t thinking about what was to come, and it was the ‘what was to come’ that could kill me. Got my head back into gear and all was fine, but it could have gone so wrong… 😑 

• Like 4

I suggest doing a session of full-stop landings. Lots of flying ccts are spent on Touch&Go's where student's can make it perfect, but some will fail with full-stops.

Assuming "flaring high" is the issue, just before takeoff roll stop for ~10 sec and pay close attention on the ground, runway edges, features. Expect the same picture when you land.

If non controlled aerodrome, you may want to join instructor (or responsible person) to walk and inspect the runway. 

Windsock might be another reference point. Don't initiate flare if at the top level or above. Keep coming down.

Where to look: generally eyes to the end of runway, however you don't need to look that far to "turn on" peripheral vision.
Try an exercise when driving a car. Look at the broken lines where they becoming continuous, then look what you see on the sides, how far is curb, gravel, etc..

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 04/02/2024 at 5:14 PM, jackc said:

Nev, it’s a 24 reg Jabiru plane and we can’t change it, I want a panel rotary switch with 0, 10, 20 deg flap settings so I can select what  settings I need and just fly the plane.  The existing system as fitted from the factory is dangerous in my opinion. 
Manual flaps would be OK too, but because of stupid rules and Jabiru won’t approve a change, I am stuck 🤢 IF I was 19 reg, it would have been the first mod I would do, along with an increase in main wheel size. 

Jack - you could change to Experimental. I have done so with my 24 reg Savannah so I have more options for things like running on condition, changing the prop etc

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

but as I understand it, 24-experimental is NOT carte blanche. TMK it is for a specific item to be waived, like say, (stupid) calendar limit on the Rotax  engine , and is not perpetual ??

Neil, please let us know your experience.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RFguy said:

but as I understand it, 24-experimental is NOT carte blanche. TMK it is for a specific item to be waived, like say, (stupid) calendar limit on the Rotax  engine , and is not perpetual ??

Neil, please let us know your experience.

Hi RFguy,

I haven't actually changed anything yet, but it was mainly to have the options mentioned above. It pi$$ed me off not to be able to run on condition when I had run the Rotax on condition for ages in my previous plane. Also, although I have not done so, the option to change the prop makes sense to me as loads of home-built Savannahs use Bolly props. Larger tyres also becomes an option.....

So it was really to move away from the more onerous restrictions which IMO are somewhat unnecessary. I don't intend moving away to anything radical that 19 reg Savannah pilots have not done before. I don't want to be a test pilot. 

Cheers,

Neil 

Edited by Neil_S

In my case my 24 reg 230D is used for flying school training which prohibits any mods or work other than Jabiru mandated work.

Now, endorsements can be done on 19 reg aircraft, with no problem.  Jabiru have told me that main wheel size increases will be looked at in the future after they complete their engineering work on fuel injection design product.

Edited by jackc
Extra texr

Nev, there is a crankcase calendar time limit.

larger tyres, prop change- they're all changes with flying characteristic effects, that's why they need signoffs.

on conditon engine doesnt affect flying characteristics, - that one is a bit easier to get.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 5:07 PM, jackc said:

Hydrolyte is my favourite, drinks heaps before I fly. Cost a lot of money but worth it and works for me.

Not a medic so would suggest you consult your doctor  - prophylactic loading of your system, with electrolytes, you don't need, is placing unnecessary stress on your body. Long term this will almost certainly do damage. Short term, there is the potential to negatively affect your mood, balance and can increase your need to urinate (get rid of excess salts).

You should consider whether this may be a habit/mental crutch that has little or nothing to do with dehydration.

Edited by skippydiesel