Not so good solo

2 hours ago, RFguy said:

but as I understand it, 24-experimental is NOT carte blanche. TMK it is for a specific item to be waived, like say, (stupid) calendar limit on the Rotax  engine , and is not perpetual ??

Neil, please let us know your experience.

Is this of assistance MARAP-Rotax-05-001 RPT01 lssue 01 Engine Condition Monitoring Program by RAAus?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

thanks, that's quite useful for people to know.

I know of a few. a couple of tecnams. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Not a medic so would suggest you consult your doctor  - prophylactic loading of your system, with electrolytes, you don't need, is placing unnecessary stress on your body. Long term this will almost certainly do damage. Short term, there is the potential to negatively affect your mood, balance and can increase your need to urinate (get rid of excess salts).

You should consider whether this may be a habit/mental crutch that has little or nothing to do with dehydration.

Like anything, just follow the instructions and don’t overdose etc.

as you get older replacing lost electrolytes becomes more important in part of maintaining hydration.

https://hydralyte.com.au/

On 05/02/2024 at 11:15 AM, sfGnome said:

... Even more so, GET cool and methodical, even if you have to break out of the circuit for a few minutes to compose yourself ... I did something dumb (no idea what now) during a solo T&G, and I was berating myself all the way down downwind.

Suddenly realised that I was so busy worrying about what had been that I wasn’t thinking about what was to come, and it was the ‘what was to come’ that could kill me ...

Yes, I've had quite similar lapses and I know exactly what you mean.

But then, it's generally agreed that humans (+ friends) can only really concentrate on one thing at a time;

image.gif.9693eb95e86a2708c6df65e300358178.gif

So what to do about it?  ... how to get the discipline needed to save us, as pilots, from our primal brains.

(To be fair to the Creator Spirit, flying too high with some guy in the sky was Her idea of nothing to do.)

Of course, the old "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate" mantra addresses the same (universal) problemo.

In any case, I just found this video of a US CFI, "Lisa", in conversation with Rich Stowell.

Among other things, she explains that after many years of instructing, she finally came up with her own simple mantra

to help her students:  "Just make the next 5 seconds perfect".    (Long enough for any squirrel to be no-factor ;- )

She explains it from around 06:30 

• Informative 1

On 06/02/2024 at 5:46 PM, jackc said:

Like anything, just follow the instructions and don’t overdose etc.

as you get older replacing lost electrolytes becomes more important in part of maintaining hydration.

https://hydralyte.com.au/

Yes but whose instructions? I would be sceptical of instructions on the container, these are from a vested interest in getting you hooked and consuming.

It is true that as we age our ability to thermoregulate tends to deteriorate BUT then so does our ability to process and excrete excess salts (electrolytes). 

Pre exercise consumption of electrolytes, is something that needs careful management and is likely unwarranted in most situations.

Post exercise consumption is also unwarented in normal every day exercise and should only be considered when genuine dehydration has occurred.

People seem to forget that human physiology has changed little in  hundreds of years - our forebears did not have access to "sports drinks" and the like and seemed to have got bye perfectly well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Don, Certainly in the early stages of your flying,  stability on the approach is helpful in a good landing. Big stuff is required to be stabilised at 400 ft or higher as they have a lot of inertia in the equation.. Sorry i didn't reply earlier.  U/ls can have very sort finals in some places and need rapid responses till it's stopped.. Like in turbulence are you ever stable?. That's why WE are so skilled.  Nev

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Methusala said:

Good  landings begin with a good approach. Perhaps Nev could say a few things about stabilised approaches in airline flying. Don

Good advice but I get all this from my instructor. Setup for approach is a large part of our training.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Yes but whose instructions? I would be sceptical of instructions on the container, these are from a vested interest in getting you hooked and consuming.

It is true that as we age our ability to thermoregulate tends to deteriorate BUT then so does our ability to process and excrete excess salts (electrolytes). 

Pre exercise consumption of electrolytes, is something that needs careful management and is likely unwarranted in most situations.

Post exercise consumption is also unwarented in normal every day exercise and should only be considered when genuine dehydration has occurred.

People seem to forget that human physiology has changed little in  hundreds of years - our forebears did not have access to "sports drinks" and the like and seemed to have got bye perfectly well.

We used to get supplied bags of electrolyte powder when I was working in 40 to 50 degrees every day . I used to drink up to 20 lt of water a day without needing to have a leak.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, BrendAn said:

We used to get supplied bags of electrolyte powder when I was working in 40 to 50 degrees every day . I used to drink up to 20 lt of water a day without needing to have a leak.

Supplied by your employer (?), covering his or her rear end, not by a medical professional.

What do you think our grandparents (& before them) did, before the invention of this rubbish drink? - they drank water and unfortunately indulged in overly salty foods (which may have helped a little with dehydration but killed them later due to vascular hardening).

If you don't drink enough water, sweat profusely (physical exertion/fever) have diarrhea, you may become clinically dehydrated.  It is likely that drinking a suitable electrolyte fortified drink (or get put on an IV fluid drip) will speed your recovery/rehydration.

Your body is designed to tolerate a degree of dehydration ie its normal. When this happens you feel thirsty and drink (preferably water) to rehydrate. If you have a good diet and drink when your body signals, you should not, in the normal course of events, need added electrolytes.

The advent of  "Sports Drinks" fortified with sugars & electrolytic salts,  combined with strong marketing campaigns, has convinced the general population that consumption of these products is necessary for their health /wellbeing (I am fairly sure Coca Cola did much the same) - - its BS!!!!

Anecdotal story: Last summer, I did some physically demanding construction work, with the help of a young man, a good 40 years my junior. He sipped (?) all day & had a lot of "wee brakes". I on the other hand had four, good drink of water, in the same working day. Some of this may be physiological difference, some experince?

• Agree 2

On 3/2/2024 at 8:35 PM, BrendAn said:

Well I did my second solo today and I just couldn't get my head in the game. I think it was a combination of not keeping hydrated. It was hot in the aircraft today.the other was fatigue.  I should have made the decision to stay on the ground but I learnt the hard way. Took  4 attempts to get on the ground.  A big bounce on one attempt. As soon as the instructor got out I just seemed to forget stuff.  The CFI talked me down on the last go , although I had already regained my composure and set up properly for the landing.  But knowing he was there made a huge difference to my mental state.  Anyway just putting it out there. I ignored human factors and it bit me.  I think it's just as important to post the bad experiences as the good ones.

For what it is worth, I’ve been flying off and on since 1968 and still make landings that are less than textbook! It happens to all of us, but you are correct, if I have a disturbed sleep night for example, I don’t fly. Since I only fly for fun it really doesn’t matter and is infinitely better than risking bending the arroplane.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Like everything I look for multiple sources of information, I should have added that I have spoken to my Pharmacist and GP about this stuff and they gave me suggested dosage rates and how often.  My six monthly blood test regime has many added tests at my request for reasons I have outlined to my GP and he has not knocked me back on a request yet, because I tell him why, based on medical research I do.  Yes, I m a medical freak, amongst other things 🤩

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

IF dehydration was present you don't have to look much further than that. It's exactly what symptoms occur. and planes do not run on rails or fly themselves. You have to remain co-ordinated or you'll be all over the Place.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Landed yesterday on 08 Harden and 10 Cootamundra. Wind was 15kts from 115. Temperature around 30 making the air quiet lively. We were the only ones on the radio. My aim, since transitioning to Jab - 170 is to be as proficient as possible. Thus flying in 'challenging' conditions. Don

Edited by Methusala
Edit
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Methusala said:

Landed yesterday on 08 Harden and 10 Cootamundra. Wind was 15kts from 115. Temperature around 30 making the air quiet lively. We were the only ones on the radio. My aim, since transitioning to Jab - 170 is to be as proficient as possible. Thus flying in 'challenging' conditions. Don

You would have a fair hours up in the jab now don.  Great aircraft. The 170 is almost a glider in strong thermals.

Not too many takers for Lisa's  "Just make the next 5 seconds perfect" little mind trick to counter mental drift (vid above).

Well, Paul Bertorelli came up with an equally pithy take on the same subject which might prove more memorable:

"You are unlikely to stall  if you just take your head out of your ass."

He goes on, in this film (posted before) to confess his own failure to comply, which, he reckons, very nearly did him in: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mzsjXn88Y&t=73s

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 5:07 PM, jackc said:

Hydrolyte is my favourite, drinks heaps before I fly. Cost a lot of money but worth it and works for me.

A reminder; Your first statement on this topic.

I may be reading too much into it however the statements;

"Hydrolyte is my favourite, ..." suggests to me habituation.

"...drinks heaps before I fly." sounds like excess. 

"Cost a lot of money but worth it and works for me." addiction?

Later:

"Like everything I look for multiple sources of information, I should have added that I have spoken to my Pharmacist and GP about this stuff and they gave me suggested dosage rates and how often.  My six monthly blood test regime has many added tests at my request for reasons I have outlined to my GP and he has not knocked me back on a request yet, because I tell him why, based on medical research I do.  Yes, I m a medical freak, amongst other things 🤩

No offence intended but this sounds like obsession. Does nothing to convince me of the appropriateness of your  use of electrolyte drinks.

Edited by skippydiesel

4 tablets in a 600ml bottle of water, about an hour before I fly or do any work in the sun during hot weather, then bottle of water an hour or 2 later..

Electrolyte-containing drinks are designed to address a major imbalance in electrolytes in the body caused by dehydration.

If you're not dehydrated, you have no need for electrolyte drinks. An excess of electrolytes in the body can be worse than being dehydrated.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:48 PM, kgwilson said:

Why do you need throttle at all on very short final. Keeping some on right till almost touchdown must increase your landing speed. You should be fully stalled at touchdown

Being fully stalled at touchdown is a falacy! The only aeroplane I’ve flown that comes anywhere near stalled on touchdown is a 3 point landing in a Tiger Moth. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Throttle controls rate of climb/descent, stick is for speed. Trim for speed and control landing with throttle. Flare before touchdown.

Edited by Methusala
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Methusala said:

Throttle controls rate of climb/descent, stick is for speed. Trim for speed and control landing with throttle. Flare before touchdown.

All very good , IF your engine is still delivering power. Much better to practise glide approaches.

• Like 1