Cirrus 22M Shelter Cove Airport, CA

Some photos of a Cirrus lowered by the CAPS system parachute.  All 3 occupants suffered minor injuries.Cirrus22M01.thumb.jpg.5984f33fbfb576ba7e9fad9f6fac18b5.jpg

Cirrus22M02.jpg.6033f42936aee70353ed003c392793db.jpgCirrus22M03.jpg.d6ae7fb4fb2353e59222e1cd21199631.jpg

45 minutes ago, Methusala said:

Why did the (in)competent pilot pull the panic string ( and ruin a perfect plane)?

Aircraft has no spin recovery etc.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Methusala said:

Why did the (in)competent pilot pull the panic string ( and ruin a perfect plane)?

I believe the engine failed over a forest. So hit the trees at 60-70 knots and die or use the feature that they paid for and all walk away. Not a difficult decision.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Not so sure the "ALL being able to walk away" is a done deal. What if it subsequently caught fire.? That's far from a soft landing.  Do you have to fly over such terrain? Was the engine maintained properly? was it getting fuel?  Nev

• Informative 1

General Aviation Accident
(8/March/2024)
- United States of America 🇺🇸 :
On March 8, 2024, at about 1418 local time, a privately-registered Cirrus SR22, N2824M, experienced engine issues and a subsequent pilot-deployed CAPS and forced landing to heavily wooded terrain near Mendocino, California. The private pilot and two passengers received minor injuries. The personal flight originated from Shelter Cove Airport (0Q5), California, at about 1413 LT.

ADS-B data shows that the airplane was climbing to 2800 feet when it began to losing ground speed values. For the next minute, the airplane descended to about 2100 feet before the CAPS was deployed. The airplane came to the rest inverted, but there was no post crash fire.

According to FAA records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single engine land. His third class FAA medical was issued on 7/2021.

- ADS-B:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a2d859&lat=39.982&lon=-123.982&zoom=14.9&showTrace=2024-03-08&trackLabels

- Photos:

KYMKEMP.COM

Scanner traffic indicates a report has been made of a plane crash with a possible explosion in the 76000 block of Usal Road, north of Whale Gulch School.

Very difficult to avoid the Forrest in most of northern California.  

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

I believe the engine failed over a forest. So hit the trees at 60-70 knots and die or use the feature that they paid for and all walk away. Not a difficult decision.  

There have been quite a few and guess what?……….They are not Jabirus!

• Haha 1

I travel 200k to Tumut to fly the clubJab. I could take a more direct route over the mtns on a very 3rd rate goat track. Why not? I Don't want to die. Flying over unlandable terrain is Russian roulette, a game only played by lunatics. The pilot should be charged with attempted manslauter. IMHO

Anybody who has the impression they are invulnerable should take a seconds reflection. At the least this person has imposed on genuine people an unwanted  insurance cost.

3 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

General Aviation Accident
(8/March/2024)
- United States of America 🇺🇸 :
On March 8, 2024, at about 1418 local time, a privately-registered Cirrus SR22, N2824M, experienced engine issues and a subsequent pilot-deployed CAPS and forced landing to heavily wooded terrain near Mendocino, California. The private pilot and two passengers received minor injuries. The personal flight originated from Shelter Cove Airport (0Q5), California, at about 1413 LT.

ADS-B data shows that the airplane was climbing to 2800 feet when it began to losing ground speed values. For the next minute, the airplane descended to about 2100 feet before the CAPS was deployed. The airplane came to the rest inverted, but there was no post crash fire.

According to FAA records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single engine land. His third class FAA medical was issued on 7/2021.

- ADS-B:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a2d859&lat=39.982&lon=-123.982&zoom=14.9&showTrace=2024-03-08&trackLabels

- Photos:

KYMKEMP.COM

Scanner traffic indicates a report has been made of a plane crash with a possible explosion in the 76000 block of Usal Road, north of Whale Gulch School.

Very difficult to avoid the Forrest in most of northern California.  

I've driven the whole length and yes, northern is heavily wooded and/or mountainous. It stays that way from Vancouver, BC through Washington and Oregon and peter's out somewhere along the southern half of California. What a beautiful drive, but I think if I flew anywhere around there, I'd either get a floatplane or just follow the highways so there's a chance of landing somewhere in an emergency 😄

For many years I've thought that flying x country exercises, say Bankstown to Bathurst, is unnecessarily risky. I recall a particular case where a well own pilot nearly perished after ditching in Warragamba dam from the Oaks.

Looks like a good outcome to me.  I would have done the same.

You're not going to glide your way out that one.

compared to this pilot the other day 500' over the tops of the Wollomi national park, a large region of sandstone bluffs and deep ravines. ..

What was he, scared of heights ?  flying under low cloud. insanity ?   I fly over that extreme tiger country region in my Archer but only when I can get > 5500 feet OVER the tops of the hills, (IE 8500 west or 9500 east)  then I have a survival chance and I know all my decision points and which paddocks I am going to they are marked on my map and ozrwy map. 

If I was flying at 500' above the hills in that region, I'd be so horrified by the view that I would put my hood on and go onto instruments so I didnt have to look outside.

image.png.ff89d202a15aaabdba8522ae4eb64fd3.png

Edited by RFguy

3 hours ago, Reynard said:

Flying directly west from Sydney presents few options to avoid tiger country…..or houses or a dam. 

You don't fly there then, especially in RA.

• Like 1

RAAus has significantly lower stall speeds to reduce the Kinetic energy and it's minus the wind if you work it right... The BRS is REQUIRED in the absence of a successful spin  evaluation on the SR22. Stall speed is 60 Kts OTA.  Approach at 70K which is cruise speed on a lot of UL's. It's a Million $ plus aeroplane.. But lives matter more than the plane's cost,. Why not have the engine reliable?  It's not a beginner's plane.  Nev  

Being an RA pilot, I was taught to expect engine failure at any time (ie always have somewhere to land in sight). I got a real shock one day talking to a friend who was a CPL and instructor in the GA world about not flying over tiger country and he asked “why not?”. When I explained, he said “Oh, I never thought of that”. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

You don't fly there then, especially in RA.

Being confined to east of the Great Divide would seem a little limiting.

Agree.

A long detour of maybe 100nm would keep you out of the worst. Flying high, although,

military and controlled airspace above limits flight levels in some areas. Having a reliable engine, following roads, identifying cleared areas, etc, as RF guy has mentioned. Maybe in this scenario, the BRS is another risk mitigator.