Cirrus 22M Shelter Cove Airport, CA

getting out of the sydney basin is not too bad, in favourable condix.

Just pick your day so that you can get some altitude (not squashed  down by clouds) 

and there are routes that have paddocks here and there. Likelihood is you are flying something in RA that can land in a paddock, IE you're not flying a Lanceair . 

As Nev says, there are ways to do things with less risk. Flying is about the highest risk activity that is legal,  a friend said to me. somewhat true. 

If you must fly, then you'll have a RPL or higher and get a clearance above it all.

Edited by RFguy

Bear in mind that IF you give yourself enough of a scare you  will probably chuck it in if you're half smart. It's an addiction like many other's. The world's worst engine is safe IF you fly it at the right place and the world's BEST engine still needs fuel and checking..  Nev   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

OK, saves me checking for possible safe routes.

Well, it was Hoxton Park once upon a time. I’d be interested to see what you would come up with for Sydney basin-based flyers.

I still remember the SR22 sales demonstration flight back in 2014 that ended in a backyard in Lawson after the chute was deployed. That saved 3 lives after what would appear to have been a poor choice of demonstrating the limits of the flight envelope…..or pilot technique.

A big pity that Katoomba airfield is no more. Despite its idiosyncrasies, at least it provided a rare treeless stretch of land in the neighbourhood.

• Agree 1

I remember it well.. My choice of plane for the across range thing Ex Bankstown was an AUSTER J1 n. You could land it on 1 1/2 tennis courts. easily.  Nev

Therein lies the problem - even in an Autocrat, there are not that many choices of tennis courts over the Blue Mountains.

The late Max Hazelton successfully landed his Auster in the Blue mountains in IMC in 1969, took a few days to walk out to civilisation.  

• Informative 1

Rod Hay died at Katoomba Airstrip in bushland, 200 metres from the strip when his Jabiru engine failed while he was doing circuits.

These days we don't get the option to take small risks, big risks or any risk. Today its Go or No Go. If there's a reasonably forseeable risk it's no go.

Ahhh, yes he did ! -  I’ve read “The Hazelton Story” by Denis Gregory. It took him 6 days walk to get to the Coxs River post office- a remarkable story.  The poor old Auster was a wreck, but he still managed to sell it for 300 quid !

Nowadays there a couple of golf courses if you follow the Great Western Hwy to Blackheath. I’m not sure about tennis courts though.

Sadly my days of flying PIC over the mountains are no more, so I guess my job is to look for those tennis courts now.

The attitude to risk is interesting. People fly Bass Strait in single engines every day. The chances of survival after ditching are close to zero. 

• Informative 1

Two guys in a carefully prepared Thruster, with a blow up mattress in each wing, showed how it could be done.

• Haha 1

Well, that's a relief........was trying to figure how to get them to take the net down in time............)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, IBob said:

Well, that's a relief........was trying to figure how to get them to take the net down in time............)

You leave the net up, works the same way as an aircraft carrier...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1

BTW, there was early first person footage of parachuting into trees. Probably deliberately, as it would have have taken some effort back then to mount the camera gear.

This was round canopy stuff, and shortly after entering the trees it looked like the jumper fell very sharply.

I think what can happen is that if the jumper/payload/aircraft momentarily snags in parts of the tree, the canopy above continues descending or deflating. Then when the j/p/a unsnags and falls it is now no longer supported by the canopy, so can fall at a much higher rate........

• Like 1
  • Informative 2