Amphibious gyrocopter crash 3/4/24 Lake Macquarie NSW

Only takes a ' half floating beer bottle ' to punch a hole through even thick laminated frp . As happened,  to " Fallacy " in the Hawksbury River race '' .

How did they know what it was ! . It came inside the boat .

spacesailor

• Informative 2

14 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Only takes a ' half floating beer bottle ' to punch a hole through even thick laminated frp . As happened,  to " Fallacy " in the Hawksbury River race '' .

How did they know what it was ! . It came inside the boat .

spacesailor

The straight lateral material edge is interesting as could be a developed accumulated fatigue stress that let go during the landing and opened up on take-off, just a guess from a poor image view.

• Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

The straight lateral material edge is interesting as could be a developed accumulated fatigue stress that let go during the landing and opened up on take-off, just a guess from a poor image view.

Yes, should have been jagged

pretty sure its this machine. built by tag aviation in canberra.

passenger is describing how long the log he saw was.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

Looks like a blue ringed Octopus. Nev

It does too now that mention it.

I wonder if the problem could be inadequate strength/bracing in the float?
We once had a f/glass canadian canoe. Heading for home in failing weather after a week on a big lake, I accepted a tow from a power boat. While there was little in the canoe (just me), when the canoe got onto the wave from the boat, the bottom went flat then dinged in sharply. And while it didn't break or tear, as I recall there were stress marks where this may have happened before.

Edited by IBob

9 minutes ago, IBob said:

I wonder if the problem could be inadequate strength/bracing in the float?
We once had a f/glass canadian canoe. Heading for home in failing weather after a week on a big lake, I accepted a tow from a power boat. While there was little in the canoe (just me), when the canoe got onto the wave from the boat, the bottom went flat then dinged in sharply. And while it didn't break or tear, as I recall there were stress marks where this may have happened before.

Agree; similar o my 8:37 yesterday comment as I have seen such before; however a poor image for assessing though.

They look like full lotus floats .

They have been around for years and have a good reputation.

• Informative 1

WHAT they are fitted to must have some relevance? Dual floats can have very assymetric drag causing directional problems. Need  strong rudder inputs.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1