Lugging fuel to your deserted airfield……

23 hours ago, Garfly said:

On-airport fuel sources are plentiful, Mogas 95/98 sources not so much. 

The problem is easier to understand when it involves flyers keen to keep their 912s lead free.  (Cue THAT debate.   ;- )

One of the items on my "bucket list" is flying to Perth from NSW . Yet to do for real however have done the virtual trip, courtesy of OzRunways, by several routes. Each time I do this exercise (real duration/range) I also research the various  landing points for ULP & accommodation - seems eminently doable to me. Will carry my 2 x 20L fuel bladders (& my trusty filter funnel) to facilitate fuel from town - may have to make more than one trip, but again with a little forward planning eg contacting flying clubs along the way, it can be done, many have done it before me .

• Like 3

The simple answer to the OP's question is to develop plenty of aviation/forum mates in many areas, that are mostly happy to assist you with fuel supplies, and transport/resupply of same.

I'd be quite happy to assist anyone requiring fuel in a spot where it wasn't available at the airstrip, in any area where I was currently located, and I'm sure many of the forum members would do the same.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

On the Nullarbor. at many places there is NO town. JUST a Roadhouse. Of Course the trip is doable and pretty safe but it's a BIG Country.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For those of you who want to fill more than a jerry can. A 200L drum attached to a boat might provide a handy alternative. You can't fill more than a 25L container however there's an exemption for boats.

• Informative 1

15 hours ago, Ian said:

For those of you who want to fill more than a jerry can. A 200L drum attached to a boat might provide a handy alternative. You can't fill more than a 25L container however there's an exemption for boats.

So as long as Freizitpilot only flies a floatplane, he should be golden...

15 hours ago, Ian said:

Out of idle interest - what jurisdiction (State) does your statement refer to??

3 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Out of idle interest - what jurisdiction (State) does your statement refer to??

Think he could be referring to AS1940:

7.6.3 Filling of containers at dispensers

Flammable liquids shall not be filled from a service station’s fuel dispenser into a container unless-

• The capacity of the container is not greater than 25L; and
  • The container complies with AS/NZS 2906 or equivalent Standard, or is reasonably leakproof, metal, and has a tight-fitting closure; or
  • The container is an approved fuel tank for a boat.

Any container shall be on the ground whilst being filled, and not in a car boot or the back of a utility vehicle.

NOTE: Approved portable fuel tanks for boats may be filled in situ.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

These are an expensive option…..

https://www.turtlepac.com/products/collapsible-jerry-can-fuel-tanks/

I would buy one of these, there are cheaper ones but I would not go there….

The sort of fuel bladder you want should be dictated by its use.

The Turtle pack options are great as ferry/range extending tanks. For the most part connected to the aircrafts existing fuel reticulation system.

If you are looking for some way to transport fuel (ULP) to your aircraft, from a servo, while on an away trip, foldable "Jerrys" might be a more cost effective option.  This is what I use, as space in my aircraft is limited. To date I have never used them to carry fuel in the aircraft. They are available from reputable suppliers like Aircraft Spruce (AU)

Flexi-Jerry-20-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

If you are looking for some way to transport fuel (ULP) to your aircraft, from a servo, while on an away trip, foldable "Jerrys" might be a more cost effective option.  This is what I use, as space in my aircraft is limited. To date I have never used them to carry fuel in the aircraft. They are available from reputable suppliers like Aircraft Spruce (AU)

We have 2 of these and used them to top up at Parkes, but we had access to a car.

I've used them several times, the longest walk we've done is 3km there and back, so 6km return.

We also don't use them to carry fuel in the aircraft, we don't have the load capacity to carry our camping gear and extra fuel.

So far, they've never leaked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

So as long as Freizitpilot only flies a floatplane, he should be golden...

When I get a plane, I’ll make sure it’s got a tow hook for the boat.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, KRviator said:

Think he could be referring to AS1940:

I see this is a "Standard"  -

• Does this mean that it is enforceable/recommended (?) across all Australian jurisdictions ?
  • Does it apply to both commercial/private situations ?
  • How can it be applied to small business/hobby farmers, who will routinely need much more than 25 L at a time?
  • Is it an other one of those rules/legislation (like ASIC) that has no foundation in logic, is unenforceable and completely impractical?
Edited by skippydiesel

40 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Ona FARM you have your own storage tanks and a truck comes and fills them up.Nev

When I worked at Nullabor in ‘76, we had drum Avgas but ran out on occasions.  Pilot to Jack ‘ Need Avgas pleas mate? Me, sorry ran out but if I can get rid of these cars from the pumps, I will juice you up there’.  Don’t go back to the airstrip, I will go hold the cars back and you can take off on the driveway.

The driveway to the old roadhouse, serves as the airstrip, even today.

IMG_3607.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

I see this is a "Standard"  -

• Does this mean that it is enforceable/recommended (?) across all Australian jurisdictions ?
  • Does it apply to both commercial/private situations ?
  • How can it be applied to small business/hobby farmers, who will routinely need much more than 25 L at a time?
  • Is it an other one of those rules/legislation (like ASIC) that has no foundation in logic, is unenforceable and completely impractical?

AS1940, Title The storage and handling of flammable and combustable liquids.

Published by Standards Australia.

This standard applies throughout Australia (and if notated, in New Zealand.)

You can contact Standards Australia for a copy which I would recommend you do, given what you've just said.

Standards Australia has Industry committees come together and lay down Industry benchmarks and standards - the best people from each industry setting the standards for that industry.

In answer to your dot points

Dot 1: I would use it, and have on hudreds of vehicles across all jurisdictions.

Dot 2: Yes both.

Dot 3: The Standard spells that out.

Dot 4:  No

These aren't enforceable standards, but should you have a fuel-related fire or accident, since the 1980's they have become a good defence of your duty of care where there's a forseeable risk, and conversely a good point for a Plaintiff if your aren't complying with its benchmark.

As far as I am concerned, IF you have spend money as an individual, to buy the Australian Standard.  I ignore it, in my eyes it does not exist 👍 

IMG_3608.jpeg

Edited by jackc
Add oic

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Ona FARM you have your own storage tanks and a truck comes and fills them up.Nev

I did specify HOBBY farm - unless exceptionally large, verging on commercial, I doubt the viability of your statement.

10 minutes ago, jackc said:

As far as I am concerned, IF you have spend money as an individual, to buy the Australian Standard.  I ignore it, in my eyes it does not exist 👍 

IMG_3608.jpeg

My question was not about the suitability/quality of the contain but the amount of fuel that may be carried -  in practical terms, seems it is up to the purchaser (as it should be)

I ' cheat ' .

I carry a "  boat fuel tank. When filling my " Jerry cans" .

Approximately 80 ltrs , in all .

But it gets awkward when " 20 ltrs of 98 for

Hummel-Bird 

20 ltrs 95 for marine and stationary engines .

Plus diesel  .

Never ever buy that low grade adulterated alcohol  blend .It killed my garden equipment motors .

As for " bad " service stations fuel , my bro-inlaw had it happen , and blew the fuel pump a few clicks

from servo . Insurance paid out.

spacesailor

42 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

My question was not about the suitability/quality of the contain but the amount of fuel that may be carried -  in practical terms, seems it is up to the purchaser (as it should be)

You specified a particular Australian Standard. There are others and a crossover where a Dangerous Goods specification is triggered.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

IMG_3608.jpeg

You’ll be surprised to learn then that none of the lawyers will ignore that admission.

Someone once said that ignorance is no excuse.

Marine in Queensland was maximum 300 Liters in portable approved containers, or designed fuel tanks.  After 300 litres cargo was under the International Dangerous Goods Code plus advice to Regional Harbour Master about voyage plan.  Not sure of current day but similar I'd recon.

• Informative 1